1991 FJ80... To Buy or Not to Buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
minuterobot.wordpress.com
Our 1998 Jeep Cherokee died today with a blown motor. I have a FJ40 that will take the bulk of the off-road driving, but I'd still like to pick up an 80 for around town driving and occasional wheeling. The 1991 that I'm looking at obviously doesn't have elockers and I was curious about how important they were. Nothing I've driven off road has had lockers, (Toyota Tacoma, 2 Toyota 4Runners) and I haven't had any problem at all keeping up with the rest of the group.

I'm wondering what your opinion is on the pre-locked FJ80's before I pick it up this afternoon. It's mostly a matter of convenience. It's local, which is rare in my small town and is about $2500.

Any thoughts?

Although underpowered, the 3F motor in the early 80 series is a workhorse and an awesome motor. Prices vary widely for these trucks dictated by condition, rust, and miles. $2500 is in the middle of the range. Give is some more details...

Just saw it, up close. It looks like it's been a daily driver since day 1. Medium-sized holes in the driver's seat, interior is okay, just looks like it's about 20 years old, (imagine that). Outside it in pretty good shape. The only rusted part is under the back window and the only dent is on the bottom of the back door.

It has 235,000 miles and it sounds like it ticks just a little, but honestly, I don't know what these motors sound like. I remember the original window price was $2995, then down to $2495 and while I was there I got him down to $1800.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the advice, guys. I know nothing about these, except I love how they look with the tires stuffed.

Offer him $1500 cash I bet he will take it.
You can't go wrong for $1500 or $1800 for that matter.
Offer $1500 first and see if he will bite.

Good price.

I think you will be super happy with any 80 over the Cherokee. They just drive so nice! If you find you NEED a locker, (you won't), put an aussie locker in the rear for a few hundred and move on... Post some pics when you pick it up!

Ours has almost 300,000 miles no real complaints. We have worked it hard. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom