1991 FJ80 in pretty good shape. What to do? Modify or leave stock? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this in the chit chat forum but don't think that is the right forum for this question.

I have just purchased a 2 owner 1991 FJ80 that was left on a farm for years. The truck is completely original with 190k miles on it. Everything works except the sunroof which I sealed shut to save the interior from water damage. There is absolutely zero rust on the entire truck. I'm in the process of installing a new stereo and all new speakers. I have restored the paint and done my best to restore the base coat where the clear coat has worn off. I've cleaned up the interior which doesn't have any rips and cleaned up really well. It's been on a farm but never offroaded. I've completed a fluid baseline and rebuilt the front axle. It runs really well and the transmission shifts really well. I've removed the side steps but the front bumper is still bolted on and pushed in on one side. I had some 20 inch Mayhem wheels with 33 BFG's already mounted so I put those on to see how it looks, not for everyone but it looks kinda cool.

I have a decision to make...put the stock wheels back on with some new 33 inch AT's, not tine the windows at all, and replace the bent bumper to frame bracket and have a nice original stock FJ80. What is the current market value for a truck like this?

Or leave the 20's on it, tint the windows 5% for comfort and privacy, install a TJM 17 front bumper and winch, install a small medium suspension lift, and put a roof basket on it. I'm estimating this will add about $2,500 more to the vehicle build. I paid too much for it when I bought it because I'm stuck at home during this pandemic and wanted to bring it back to its glory. What is the current market value for a truck setup like this?

I've had a few Landcruisers over the years (60, 100, 40, and this is my second 80) and have seen threads where guys take awesome stock cruisers and turn them into the standard FJ80 overland look which makes the stock ones that have been left alone few and far between. Nothing against those guys, I'm one of them and love a project but I'm trying to think smart about this one.

Please share your thoughts on the route I should go with this truck. Either way I will not be offroading this truck, it will be a take the kids to the mountains camping kindof truck. Resale is always a factor aswell because I do get bored with cars and trucks pretty frequently so I'd like to not lose money, just my labor time which is therapeutic for me.

20200603_082900.jpg

20200603_082836.jpg

20200611_081404.jpg

20200613_191350.jpg

20200613_191356.jpg

Clean rig from what I can tell. If this is a short-lived rig, I would keep it stock and put the factory wheels back on it. Maybe a set of all terrains (not too big) and maybe a small lift or refresh on the suspension if it’s worn out.

Going full overland build is fun and cool but does little in the way of adding value. What I mean by that is, the value of your rig may be worth more after those mods but the cost to get there will be higher than going just stock.

Or you keep it and enjoy the process and take it offroad.

Clean rig from what I can tell. If this is a short-lived rig, I would keep it stock and put the factory wheels back on it. Maybe a set of all terrains (not too big) and maybe a small lift or refresh on the suspension if it’s worn out.

Going full overland build is fun and cool but does little in the way of adding value. What I mean by that is, the value of your rig may be worth more after those mods but the cost to get there will be higher than going just stock.

Or you keep it and enjoy the process and take it offroad.
Gotcha, factory coils still ride nice and it now has new shocks. If I go this route I'm almost thinking I buy a set of new 31x10.50r15's BFG ATKO's instead of 33x12.50R15's. The 33's fill up the fender wells better though.

Those wheels are horrendous.

put the factory 16" back on with some 33s, you are good to go. If you plan to keep it for the long haul, then by all means mod it the way you want it. Here is my before and after pic of my 91. Not my DD, but i frequent weekend trips and rock crawling and this rig is just about perfect and need nothing and stone reliable...
CKVxMSk.jpg

What style are your factory wheels? The '91 usually had a different style and I don't think they look as cool as the newer ones. Never mind. You have the old style wheels. I would prefer the type that others have posted for OEM wheels. I think they look better than pretty much every aftermarket set I have seen.

As for the bumper, it's just a sheet metal job with brackets that are designed to bend a little before the bumper kinks. I straightened mine out and now it fits the way it should. Just paint it and then decide if you want to go towards an aftermarket unit.

33" tires are almost perfect for the stock suspension and you will get about an inch of ground clearance if you have wheels that will take the 285/75/r16.

I agree with the above:
  • straighten the bumper/brackets and paint it
  • go back to oe wheels and 33" or stock tire size - the early wheels are cool in my opinion and best on an fj80
  • continue to baseline/restore and enjoy it
A stock/unmolested rig should have a broader market and better resale value if/when that time comes and the stock setup is optimized for the type of use you describe in my opinion.

Great work!

I vote stock look. Put some 33x10.5 or 31x10.5 on the stock wheels (33x12.5 is a tad too wide for those narrow 15's) . Or even some silver-painted steelies would look cool. Then keep it clean. If you ever sell, I think you'll get more bang for your buck that way. I was able to straighten my stock bumper with a tow strap and a tree. Yours might need a little more work, but shouldn't be too hard to straighten out. If it doesn't work, you can probably get one for next to nothing from someone upgrading.

Those wheels... :vomit:

Last edited:
You guys are awesome and pretty much pushed me to stay stock, clean, and unmolested which is what I think I want deep down.

My old 80 was a 92 with everything 35's, racks, ARB bull bar, ARB lockers, etc. It was awesome, I remember thinking if I had a stock one I'd drive it daily and use the big one for trips and offroading.

I went with a new set of 32X11.50 BFG ATKO's. I wanted 33X10.50's but the Pep Boys near me had ordered this set of 32's but the person never came back to get them so they gave me a good discount to get they out of their stock. I've attached a pic. What do yall think?

IMG_6234.jpg

Wow! I can't believe that's the same rig from your first pictures! I love a redneck cruiser, but when the paint is pretty and the interior is good it's nice to have "a classic" on the road and being taken care of. Good job!

Edit: I would still get an updated suspension. I believe you only think the factory springs are ok until you get new. A Medium 2" suspension lift will do wonders for look, ride, and handling without going nuts.

Not sure why you are asking opinions, but since you are, like everyone else, I have one. If you are not taking it offroad, leave it stock. Those wheels are ridiculous as well. I personally dislike built vehicles that never make it off the pavement. Guess to some people it is a fashion statement. Plus, you never recover the cost of the parts. JMHO.

Not sure why you are asking opinions, but since you are, like everyone else, I have one. If you are not taking it offroad, leave it stock. Those wheels are ridiculous as well. I personally dislike built vehicles that never make it off the pavement. Guess to some people it is a fashion statement. Plus, you never recover the cost of the parts. JMHO.
It's easier to say that when you live in an area where cruisers are more common. Where I live, they are few and far between.

And I'll argue that in this market, you do recover the cost on parts. My 92 has tripled in value since I bought it in 2017. I've put about $1000 into it plus tires.

"It's only worth what someone will pay for it." I've had one cash offer and 3 "interested" and I'm not even selling it!

Similar vehicles to My 97 are listed at $3k to $5k more than I paid for it in 2016. When insurance totalled my 95 in 2016, 100k+ miles and 10 years after I bought it, they offered me $300 less than what I paid for it as the settlement price.

Not all vehicles appreciate, and ours aren't always appreciating, but they are right now!

I went with a new set of 32X11.50 BFG ATKO's. I wanted 33X10.50's but the Pep Boys near me had ordered this set of 32's but the person never came back to get them so they gave me a good discount to get they out of their stock. I've attached a pic. What do yall think?

View attachment 2352838
Looks perfect. Untinted windows and all. My 92 is stock but for a 2.5 inch OME lift and 33s. Would
Not have it any other way.

Man, whatever you did to that paint it looks fantastic. Id love to know the details. Great looking truck. I just bought my first FJ yesterday.

E11B6620-863E-48E5-A39C-B9CFE1397C1C.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom