Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The clutch and flywheel have to come out before the bellhousing can be removed.

Yep - gotta rotate and remove the pressure plate bolts, then the flywheel from center. Wont need to remove bellhousing if just doing clutch 😉

Thanks a bunch guys for the quick input. Will be snagging this stuff off this afternoon... just wanted some insight before charging in.

While I'm in here I'm going to redo the rear main seal, so will pull the bell housing. Also, I'm renting a Hotsy to clean everything off... and want to include the bell housing in that process. =)

I use a short crowbar placed between the bellhousing and teeth in the flywheel to rotate the flywheel as I access the clutch cover bolts.

Flywheel
This doesn’t look good. Is this a flywheel that needs replaced instead of ground/resurfaced?

41C062FF-4A41-4066-ADAE-1E205CC70B15.jpeg

8271664A-FB58-45B0-8B12-589A9121D8CE.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like stress corrosion cracking. I'm not a metallurgist but I do hang out with a bunch of ME's occasionally. :p

You could confirm with some dye penetrant but I'm pretty sure you want to replace that Joel.

Second replacement. Terrain Tamer clutch kits are awesome if you are considering

Last edited:
That’s pretty normal wear for an old flywheel. I think it’s caused by extreme heating cycles for extended period of time. Mine looked like about like that. I had a machine shop turn it down just a bit. Everything was fine once the surface was refreshed and any weight lost to the plate is negligible imo.

That’s pretty normal wear for an old flywheel. I think it’s caused by extreme heating cycles for extended period of time. Mine looked like about like that. I had a machine shop turn it down just a bit. Everything was fine once the surface was refreshed and any weight lost to the plate is negligible imo.

Good input...

Given that new flywheels aren't available and that I'd likely have to source a used 2F or 3FE flywheel, I think I'm going to take this in to a machine shop for turning and see how it comes out.

Second replacement. Terrain Tamer clutch kits are awesome if you are considering

I'm this far in and already have the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, input bearing, etc. to go in fresh.

A new flywheel seems to be NLA.

Mine was not quite that bad, but turned out great. No pun intended.

Good input...

Given that new flywheels aren't available and that I'd likely have to source a used 2F or 3FE flywheel, I think I'm going to take this in to a machine shop for turning and see how it comes out.
Honger if you get in a bind the 91 frame donor 80 I just got in Dubai to save the turbo diesel RHD to LHD 81 has a 3F engine it I'm petty sure. Shipping would be dear, but keep it in mind as a backup.

1614867491144.png

Last edited:
Good input...

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about it unless the cracks are really deep. They can turn that pretty cheaply and easily. I think I paid $50 to get my flywheel turned.

Was going to replace the rear main while I was in here... but it looks so dry and well set... almost hate to disturb it.

434F8998-54C2-402E-9917-AF367C289F6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Was going to replace the rear main while I was in here... but it looks so dry and we’ll set... almost hate to disturb it.

View attachment 2604994
I would replace it if you don’t know how old it is. It’s such a simple part and easy to do and it’s RIGHT there. You’d hate it if in two months it was leaking after you button it all together.

Hey, @cruiseroutfit or anyone else in the know... should the Cruiser Outfitters transfer case rebuild kit have the split bearings for high and low gear on the rear output shaft?

Hey, @cruiseroutfit or anyone else in the know... should the Cruiser Outfitters transfer case rebuild kit have the split bearings for high and low gear on the rear output shaft?
Nevermind... FSM shows split bearings but the high and low gears have a bushing pressed into them... now that I’ve pressed it apart it’s clear.

Yes, for those late split cases with bearings instead of bushings:

Here they are circled (they are a half cage bearing design)
D0072C86-6F0C-4F26-AC5C-71DC693CF1E3.jpeg

Was going to replace the rear main while I was in here... but it looks so dry and we’ll set... almost hate to disturb it.

View attachment 2604994

I would absolutely replace that rear main. You are right there and it doesn’t get easier unless the engine is out. You don’t want to pull it all out again to redo it.
get OEM Toyota.

I would absolutely replace that rear main. You are right there and it doesn’t get easier unless the engine is out. You don’t want to pull it all out again to redo it.
get OEM Toyota.

Done.
It would have been crazy not to do it since I even had the part at the ready.

E640F329-ED53-4F14-8C9E-A9DA0AC30BA7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom