1991 Cranks no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been having some troubles with my 91.

Starting from the beginning, a couple months back I drove it down the road 5 minutes, stopped it, tried to start a little while later Engine cranked, but no started. I popped the hood gave the EFI relay a love tap. Hopped on and it started.

Ordered a new EFI and replaced it.

A couple weeks later same thing happened. I noticed one of the wires was bent hard and starting to fail. It was one running off the positive battery terminal and into the grey clam shell (is this the fusable link?) I have her a jiggle sparks and wrenches went flying. A few words stern words later and a trip to the electric bin and the wire is swapped.

Engine starts, I'm happy.

Couple days later. Key in ignition. No crank. No start. No radio. I check fuses and a couple are blown... Weird, but it was hot out. I swap some fuses and they blow again. I noticed I had the AC and fan on. I turn those off, swap fuses again and we're backup and running.

We were food for a month or so until a couple weeks ago I drive to my neighbors short trip 5 mins or so. On the way back I noticed sluggish acceleration. If I accelerate too fast the motor stalls. I was able to limp back almost all the way home at around 20 mph. Right before my drive way she dies. After pumping the gas pedal just right, I am able to make it into my drive way.

I figured the problem was fuel?
I check the fuel, check my new wire, and check the EFI relay again.

I have CEL with key in. EFI relay is good.
I have fuel spraying out the cold start banjo bolt if I jump B+ and FP.
And my new wire seems fine, but I admitted haven't formally checked it seeing as I don't really know what it is for.

I'm a bit confused about the whole situation. I am pretty sure it is fuel related given the stop and go, stalling and inability to accelerate. I guess I could have fuel issues past the cold start banjo bolt? I suppose I could check for spark, but I am still stuck thinking it's fuel related.

Any tips on what to check next?

I've been having some troubles with my 91.

Starting from the beginning, a couple months back I drove it down the road 5 minutes, stopped it, tried to start a little while later Engine cranked, but no started. I popped the hood gave the EFI relay a love tap. Hopped on and it started.

Ordered a new EFI and replaced it.

A couple weeks later same thing happened. I noticed one of the wires was bent hard and starting to fail. It was one running off the positive battery terminal and into the grey clam shell (is this the fusable link?) I have her a jiggle sparks and wrenches went flying. A few words stern words later and a trip to the electric bin and the wire is swapped.

Engine starts, I'm happy.

Couple days later. Key in ignition. No crank. No start. No radio. I check fuses and a couple are blown... Weird, but it was hot out. I swap some fuses and they blow again. I noticed I had the AC and fan on. I turn those off, swap fuses again and we're backup and running.

We were food for a month or so until a couple weeks ago I drive to my neighbors short trip 5 mins or so. On the way back I noticed sluggish acceleration. If I accelerate too fast the motor stalls. I was able to limp back almost all the way home at around 20 mph. Right before my drive way she dies. After pumping the gas pedal just right, I am able to make it into my drive way.

I figured the problem was fuel?
I check the fuel, check my new wire, and check the EFI relay again.

I have CEL with key in. EFI relay is good.
And my new wire seems fine, but I admitted haven't formally checked it seeing as I don't really know what it is for.

I'm a bit confused about the whole situation. I am pretty sure it is fuel related given the stop and go, stalling and inability to accelerate. I guess I could have fuel issues past the cold start banjo bolt? I suppose I could check for spark, but I am still stuck thinking it's fuel related.

Any tips on what to check next?
That wire is part of your fusible links.

You have an intermittent short somewhere and you need to find it because your truck is trying to not burn to the ground.

You replaced the wire, then blow fuses. You need to find the issue in those circuits.

Look for rodent damage, injectors grounding out, wiring exposed.

There are 3 fusible links off the positive battery terminal (PINK; BLACK; BLUE), and NONE of them should be replaced with standard wire. That's asking for a fire.
Fusible links are sold as a set of 3 from any Toyota dealer or from Wits End.

Here is a block diagram of the electrical systems from the 1991 Toyota EWD.

Power Source Flowchart.jpg

Last edited:
I am normally all for people fixing their own stuff but these 2 phrases tell me that you need to step away from vehicle immediately...

"I have her a jiggle sparks and wrenches went flying. A few words stern words later and a trip to the electric bin and the wire is swapped."

"I have CEL with key in. EFI relay is good.
And my new wire seems fine, but I admitted haven't formally checked it seeing as I don't really know what it is for."

Fire is real.

Thanks for the diagram and parts, Jon.
I had a new fusible link on the way, but I'll add the junction box too.

Now that I think about it, I think the electrical problems started pretty recently after I cleaned up and tightened a loose body ground.

My multimeter was being borrowed so I couldn't so much testing last weekend, but I did some wire inspection. Cleaned up some grounds, didn't notice anything particularly suspect until I followed some red / black wires into the fenders. There were some HID headlight harnesses stuffed into the fenders and abandoned. I have factory headlights now, and did when I got the rig. I traced those back back and disconnected and removed them. They were wired in, and didn't have anything protecting the prongs from grounding out. So maybe that's was the problem?

The new set of fusible links came in so I put that in. Didn't effect my starting problems.

I found a flow chart to test resistances for different components and they all were within spec. The last item on the flow chart was replaced the ignitor with a known good ignitor. No test was provided for the ignitor.. ok.

Order one, and today it showed up.
I swapped it in, and she fired right up.

I'm not feeling great about the intermittent electricity issues I'm having, but besides the abandoned HID harnesses I didn't find anything.

The fusible link that originally blew was the 80amp, black wire.

The Ignitor is on a seperate circuit so maybe it was just coincidentally that it went out. Or maybe with the ignitior being one of the only sensitive instruments on that circuit it got some excess current and blew?

I guess I could just call it good for now and wait for the fusible link to go again.

I bought a used OEM unit. I believe the part number is shared with multiple vehicles of that era.

Hobbie of mine taking stuff apart and seeing why it failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom