1991 axle swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How difficult is it to swap the axles and diff from a the later model 80s into the older model 80s? Pretty straightforward drop in or? And is it worth it for the lockers and full float? I found a set of them for just over 1K.

1k seems cheap if they're factory locking diffs.

The 91's have rear drums, 93(?)+ have rear disks. So you'll have to swap brake lines, and misc bracketry. I think the E-brake would need a little modification as well.

Other than that, it's a straight swap.

1k seems cheap if they're factory locking diffs.

The 91's have rear drums, 93(?)+ have rear disks. So you'll have to swap brake lines, and misc bracketry. I think the E-brake would need a little modification as well.

Other than that, it's a straight swap.

Yeah seems cheap to me too, they’re used obviously with like 180k miles on them.

but nice I wanted to swap the rear to disc brakes anyway and switch to steel lines so that’s no biggy. I’m wanting to do a 9.5” in the front eventually but that’s a daunting task that I don’t want to take on at the moment lol

Totally worth it, bigger brakes in the front full float rear. lockers are the icing on the cake. should be a state forward swap. Go for it

Totally worth it, bigger brakes in the front full float rear. lockers are the icing on the cake. should be a state forward swap. Go for it

nice didn’t know the brakes were different. Can you control the e lockers or do they just kick on when you need them? I’d eventually like some air lockers

nice didn’t know the brakes were different. Can you control the e lockers or do they just kick on when you need them? I’d eventually like some air lockers
The 12 volt guy has a stand alone wire harness to make then work. and no the don't just kick in. IMHO the factory E locker work just as good as the air locker. I have them and am very happy with them. People complain about them but you have to consider that most of these factory locker are 25 years old with quarter million miles on them and my need a refresh. In most cases it just the actuator needs a rebuilt or replaced.

The 12 volt guy has a stand alone wire harness to make then work. and no the don't just kick in. IMHO the factory E locker work just as good as the air locker. I have them and am very happy with them. People complain about them but you have to consider that most of these factory locker are 25 years old with quarter million miles on them and my need a refresh. In most cases it just the actuator needs a rebuilt or replaced.

Do they have a switch then? I assumed they were like the Jeep rubicon lockers. If I can control them I’ll probably just stick To those then. I want an air compressor for flat tires anyway but I can save $2k by not going air locker

Most Likely they well have the switch's. They are Like the Rubicon lockers ( selectable lockers ) turn them on when you want them off when you don't.
Most selectable locker only allow you to engage the lockers in low range, and the rear first, the rear has to be engaged before you can engage the front.

Since your 91 dose not have the locker wiring harness or ECU, the 12 Volt Guy harness is the perfect option for your reg. And a add bonus is, it well allow you to engage the the front or rear locker in any order or both at the same time and in high or low range. A win-win

This set up well give more options then most factory setups including the 80s

We are a visual crowd please post pictures of your Reg and newly acquired Axles 😉 Cheers

Most Likely they well have the switch's. They are Like the Rubicon lockers ( selectable lockers ) turn them on when you want them off when you don't.
Most selectable locker only allow you to engage the lockers in low range, and the rear first, the rear has to be engaged before you can engage the front.

Since your 91 dose not have the locker wiring harness or ECU, the 12 Volt Guy harness is the perfect option for your reg. And a add bonus is, it well allow you to engage the the front or rear locker in any order or both at the same time and in high or low range. A win-win

This set up well give more options then most factory setups including the 80s

We are a visual crowd please post pictures of your Reg and newly acquired Axles 😉 Cheers

I haven’t gotten the axles yet, that’ll probably be a few weeks but I do plan on showing off my rig when I pick her up tomorrow *fingers crossed*

that’s awesome though thanks for that info, I didn’t realize the rubicons were selectable either but I’m gonna look into that harness and hopefully start on the axle swap at the beginning of December.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom