1990 Montero (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with monteros? I saw one for sale locally, and after passing by, it kinda grew on me. Reminds me of a 70 series. Its a 1990, v6, 5 speed, 179k, and of course 4wd. How reliable are they? Any known problems?

Thanks in advance!! Landcruiserjunky

Excellent little rigs.

IdahoDoug had one for awhile, you might PM him for some info as he doesn't frequent this part of the forum much....

I had one, the 3.0V6 usually needs a valve job if it hasn't been done. I liked mine, but had an intermittent electrical prob that left me dead in the water every couple of days, and I couldn't solve it after several mechanics looked at it, and I spent months and lots of $$$, trouble shooting with some internet assistance, ended up trading it in on a Toyota. If not for that electrical gremlin, I would be very enthusiastic about the Montero. I don't think it was a very common problem, from the forum I was on at the time.

Seller mentioned he "just put a new computer in it" and does "all the work himself"

I might steer clear of this mitsu

I had a '90 Montero RS. It was a good rig, and could wheel pretty well right out of the box. It had fuel problems, though, and tons of rust. It had been used to back a boat into saltwater. I got rid of it because it was becoming a hassle to drive every day.

When the water pump goes, it's timing belt driven, and a pain in the ass to replace.

When the water pump goes, it's timing belt driven, and a pain in the ass to replace.

He he he, you mean like the 3vz-e, the 3vz-fe, the 1mz-fe, the 5vz-fe, the 1uz-fe, the 2uz-fe, and probly a couple other toy engines that I am not familiar with....

He he he, you mean like the 3vz-e, the 3vz-fe, the 1mz-fe, the 5vz-fe, the 1uz-fe, the 2uz-fe, and probly a couple other toy engines that I am not familiar with....

I've heard that about the 1UZ-FE. All those are too new for me to know anything about.

It's really not hard to replace. It's just time-consuming...kinda like doing the plugs on a Ferd Triton V8...

I had a 1990 Montero.
It was a piece of s**t.

major problems with the fuel system.

It ended up clogging the catalytic converter and catching on fire.
It burned to bare metal on the side of the highway.

steer clear of anything made by mitsubishi.

Hey Guys.
i need a little bit of help.
I have a 90 hilux 2.4D & a 93 Montero 2.5TD.
just purchased a Toyo 1PZ 5 cyl diesel to rebuild.
intented to put it in the Hilux, but now leaning towards Montero.
has anyone ever put a bigger larger diesel engine in a montero? will it fit after modifying the firewall?
Mitsu is 4 spd auto and 1PZ comes with 5 spd manual?
pls advise
thanx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom