1990 Landcruiser Prado 70 series Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is my 1990 Prado (LJ78). Have had her for about 8 years now. It's got an arb bull bar I scavanged from a junk yard that came with 9.5 warn winch, mounted the Led bar on it just this year, been using seal beam.lights and a roof bar before mostly. The left seal beam keeps fusing so I am thinking of going back to those switchable bulb lights or finding the cause of the repeated fuse.
Under the hood is an engine swap to 1kzte. It's a bit of an abomination as the manual gear, ecu, wiring are all still the original LJ78. The differentials I swapped to kzj78 variant which are slightly
Higher gear ratio. Did the swap to get the rear difflock on the kzj variant. It also has a kzj dashboard to surprise, get the difflock light option. I know, that was a lot to spend on a difflock light.
LJ78 comes with a horrible 2.4 liter turbo diesel that I hated and gave me way too many problems. Knock on wood the 1kz engine swap still going strong even though I sense she has a fuel delivery system issue just slightly as it doesn't accelerate as fast as before. Have replaced the diesel tank as well cause of trash in it.

Got a 2inch lift I think with 31 inch Yokohama at tires that are over 6 years old now and need a change soon. Kyb gas shocks keep it nice and smoothish. Changed the colour to gold a while back.

She is my daily driver but is used a few times a month for hardcore off-road with river crossings, steep hill climbs, rock crawling and a lot of other dumb things that we do with her while camping.

In future i want to add a rear bull bar, rear winch, rooftop tent and roof rack, awning etc. Will keep this thread updated. The pictures are from my camping journeys all over Pakistan with my friends and off-road mentors. I've only been offroading 2-3 years so alot to learn.

0_0_IMG-20180702-WA0070.jpg

IMG-20181123-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20181123-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20180909-WA0064.jpg

Screenshot_20200415-081112_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
She broke a rear axle seal so just replaced that. Gear oil is low so gonna go with 90w but not sure if I should replace or top up. Heard you shouldn't change the diff oil much.

20200412_155747.jpg

20200412_153828.jpg

20200412_125553.jpg

Which engine has your got?
I'm currently looking at a 1994 LJ78 with a 2L-T diesel. It feels to me like the 2.4L might be a little underpowered to me.

I'm currently looking at a 1994 LJ78 with a 2L-T diesel. It feels to me like the 2.4L might be a little underpowered to me.

The 2.4 can be tuned to make good power without loss of reliability. Stock they put about 40-50hp to the rear wheels. With an intercooler/intake/exhaust, higher boost and more fuel they run cooler EGT's and put over 100hp to the wheels. I've had over 125hp to the wheels on mine, but that is with meth/water injection also. To put this all into perspective, a 1HZ puts about 70hp to the wheels.

Welcome Ali - What part of Pakistan are you from? The 70 series and diesel are forbidden fruit here in US!
Here in US I have never heard of a junkyard find bullbar with a winch on it already!

Mine came with the 2LT but it was on its last breath. Swapped it with a nice 1kz. The 2LT was fine and I would have kept it if it's condition was better as there is nothing quite like a stock vehicle, stock will always be more reliable, better performance under normal conditions unless the engine is in bad condition.

Mine came with the 2LT but it was on its last breath. Swapped it with a nice 1kz. The 2LT was fine and I would have kept it if it's condition was better as there is nothing quite like a stock vehicle, stock will always be more reliable, better performance under normal conditions unless the engine is in bad condition
Welcome Ali - What part of Pakistan are you from? The 70 series and diesel are forbidden fruit here in US!
Here in US I have never heard of a junkyard find bullbar with a winch on it already!
Thanks, I'm from Karachi in the south, it's a coastal city. I keep hearing about how rare the 70s are in the US. My arb bullbar has a slight bend on the right side with a broken right bumper indicator light. I think it must have been an animal strike from where ever in the world it's from. I like to imagine it was a kangaroo in Australia as it had to be something big and heavy to bend it. The arb bar is actually designed for the heavy duty 70 series I believe with the rear leaf spring version but we used self made adopter plate to install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom