1990 HZJ73 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I recently jumped the gap from a mini truck owner (1991 Toyota 4x4) to a Landcruiser owner:grinpimp:...
Before doing a bit of research I was very keen on swapping a OM617 Mercedes Turbo Diesel into my 1991 Toyota 4x4 Ex-cab. After figuring out that pretty well the whole swap would be custom AND and I would like SAS the truck it just didn't seem worth my while...

I saw this truck floating around on craigslist and other online sites for a quite a while. When I eventually contacted the owner he seemed motivated to sell it and assured me it was in good shape. I drove to the mainland to have a look at it, and I was disappointed in the shape of the vehicle as it was not nearly as minty as I had hoped. After a bit of deliberation I made him an offer of what I thought the vehicle was worth and with a bit of haggling we had a deal.

So what I got...
1990 HZJ73 Toyota Landcruiser 300,xxxKM
1HZ 4.3L N/A IDI Diesel I6 Engine
8" High pinion open front diff
9 3/4" Open rear diff
Disk brakes front and rear.
PTO output winch.
24V Electrical system throughout
16A 12/24 Convertor for stereo etc.
2.5" Lift OME Suspension all the way round.

It does have some pretty nice creature comforts that albeit look a bit worn all seem to work great. These things Include: Power windows, power locks, power mirrors, rear windshield wiper and sprayer, headlight washers, and last but not least a center console with cup holders.

Now for some pictures. So far I only really have the ones sent to me when requested during sale. Please enjoy!

IMG_1097-800.jpg

IMG_1096-800.jpg

IMG_1095-800.jpg

IMG_1094-800.jpg

IMG_1093-800.jpg

IMG_1092-800.jpg

IMG_1091-800.jpg

IMG_1089-800.jpg

IMG_10981-800.jpg

Got a bit of progress done on the truck yesterday. After my little incident out in the woods with incorrect fastener lengths on the u-bolts leading to premature failure, I was forced to buy new ones. So before I installed the new U-bolts I pulled it apart and moved the axle forward 25mm forward by means of drilling the spring perches to accommodate larger tires.
IMG_0639-800.jpg

IMG_0640-800.jpg

IMG_0638-800.jpg

More pics on the way!

whats the dimensions of those springs..??
eye to eye... and military rap to pin...

so do you still have enough slip in your drive shaft... i know its only an 1inch forward but there might only be 4 inch slip in the drive shaft..

are you keeping the sway bars in there??? or you going to put quick disconnects on them...

Leaving the sway bars and everything else that is stock there for now... Had a look at the driveshaft and it seems to have what I would consider safe engagement albeit it is 1 inch further extended... Trucks all back together didn't get a chance to measure the springs or anything like that. The springs are whatever OME 2.5 inch lift springs are for specifications. Before I did this mod I did a bit of research and found this post where other have done the same.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/70233-how-big-tire-can-i-go-bj-74-ome-suspension.html

Finally got started on the upgrades today... It was quite the battle with many a 10mm bolts snapped and some ugly unhappy fender flares came off.

IMG_0799-8001.jpg

I also removed the front grill to see how much room I will be allowed for an intercooler. I figure if I can move the rad back a half and inch I will have plenty of room to add a medium large intercooler :hillbilly:

IMG_0805-8001.jpg

I also pulled the exhaust and took apart the rear bumper. After pulling the front grill I took out the radiator and fan. When I did this the radiator mounts on either side pretty much just fell off leaving behind a quite crusty core.. Looks like I'm in the market for a rad, or repair.

This showed up in the mail the other day. Some don't like it, some think its unreliable, or strange... I'm going to be the guinea pig on this one, they always say if its to goo to be true it probably is, I'm hoping this doesn't fall into that category.

IMG_0798-800.jpg

:popcorn:

Last edited:
The front spline is long enough to move the front axle 25 mm forward. With a moderate lift that will allow 35's, but she will be overgeared. Options are 4.56s or Marks Gears with 1:08 lower high. 4.88's chew up fuel on the highway. Check your transfer output bearing - they all seem to go fairly early on. This one may have been fixed already. Next time you change the transfer oil- check the rear bearing preload according the FSM to make sure it all good. The sway bar you can keep on most of the time, unless its really gnarly. Does your heater work on all speeds - typically there is a resistor coil that goes on these. This truck can take you to far away and remote places - so my objective has been relaibility and good fuel economy. In my opinion it is a a waste of machinery to use as a mundane DD, unless that is neceassry.

Glenn-BJ74 said:
The front spline is long enough to move the front axle 25 mm forward. With a moderate lift that will allow 35's, but she will be overgeared. Options are 4.56s or Marks Gears with 1:08 lower high. 4.88's chew up fuel on the highway. Check your transfer output bearing - they all seem to go fairly early on. This one may have been fixed already. Next time you change the transfer oil- check the rear bearing preload according the FSM to make sure it all good. The sway bar you can keep on most of the time, unless its really gnarly. Does your heater work on all speeds - typically there is a resistor coil that goes on these. This truck can take you to far away and remote places - so my objective has been relaibility and good fuel economy. In my opinion it is a a waste of machinery to use as a mundane DD, unless that is neceassry.

Glenn what's your rpm cruising at 100kms/h with your 35s and marks

2,200 to 2,400 RPM - close to maximum torque on the 13BT

updates on this beast????
Rumor has it its up and running!

Patience Karter...... Patience. Tell you what, I should see him on a club run today and ill nag him a little for you. lol.

I do know he's been putting in 12hr shifts at work working like a dog. I can also tell you the truck is still NA at this point so don't expect any VGT info. (hope that didn't spoil anything)

Ill keep a close eye out spotting so Keith doesnt have to spend the night in his truck, on a mountain with a redneck, plaid sporting asian in his back seat. Its been known to happen. :ban:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom