1990 fj80 3fe differntial gear ring bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i am at my mechanic trying to order both diff locks.
the vendor asks how many bolts are on the gear ring of the front and rear diffs in order to get the right one. seems there might be few options.
any idea how to know how many bolts WITHOUT taking the diffs apart?
its a lot of work otherwise...
thx in advance

Last edited:
Can you perhaps post a picture showing the bolts? Corona bolts isn't a term I'm familiar with.

Perhaps ring gear bolts?

Can the shafts able to slide all the way out of the diff or partially?

My mechanic asks if it's "floating" or half floating (partially slide out).

Hope I explained it correctly

Based on the year only I'm guessing it is a semi-floating axle. This means there is a C-clip that must be removed from inside the differential before the axle shaft can be removed.

1993+ typically have full floating rear axles that can be removed with the wheels still on the ground.

Pictures of the rear wheels would help identify this.

Last edited:
Based on the year only im guessing it is a semi-floating test axle. This means there is a C-clip that must be removed from inside the differential before the axle shaft can be removed.

1993+ typically have full floating rear axles that can be removed with the wheels still on the ground.

Pictures of the rear wheels would help identify this.
thx for the info, i am at work, ill take few photos later.
thx again

Can the shafts able to slide all the way out of the diff or partially?

My mechanic asks if it's "floating" or half floating (partially slide out).

Hope I explained it correctly
If your mechanic can't tell the difference by simply looking at it, I wouldn't let him touch my truck.
Once again, all of this information is available in the Toyota factory service manual (FSM).

Full float axle hub
sany0026-jpg.399192

Semi Float axle hub. The semi float also has a removable inspection cover on the rear of the differential housing to get to the C clips.
img_20190225_145330-jpg.1913426

If your mechanic can't tell the difference by simply looking at it, I wouldn't let him touch my truck.
Once again, all of this information is available in the Toyota factory service manual (FSM).

Full float axle hub
sany0026-jpg.399192

Semi Float axle hub. The semi float also has a removable inspection cover on the rear of the differential housing to get to the C clips.
img_20190225_145330-jpg.1913426
yep, i have the same as the photos and the rear gear ring has 12 bolts.
thx for the detailed support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom