1990 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 2 issues I need help resolving - severe bump steer and no power (crappy MPG). I have stock 6 cyl with automatic trans w/overdrive. I bought it with an old man emu lift 4” or 6” not sure which on 35” tires. I “think” a dropped steering arm will help bump steer but need professional help as I drive my family around occasionally and want it safe. Then what gearing is recommended for my 35’s? Trans was rebuilt only 10k ago so not interested in changing that. Thanks in advance!

For steering I'd say, check the tie rod end and drag links. Also might want to check the steering dampener.
No power...well, its a FJ62, they were under powered from the factory and A440F tranny didn't help. If I'm correct in thinking, 35's should make you slower to start but get you better MPG at highway speeds. Factory gearing on the axles should be 4.10 if that helps.

These are the recommendations from Cruiser Outfitters

62 with stock 4.11 gearing:Going to a 33" tire size: 4.56, 35" tires, 4.88, 37"+ tires, 5.29 ratio ring & pinion.

Hi, Personally I don’t run anything bigger than 33s on our rigs,they are daily drivers. Anything bigger is TOO Slow without regearing.check tie rods for sure and alignment. Slow ,yes, look at what it weighs. Mike

For steering I'd say, check the tie rod end and drag links. Also might want to check the steering dampener.
No power...well, its a FJ62, they were under powered from the factory and A440F tranny didn't help. If I'm correct in thinking, 35's should make you slower to start but get you better MPG at highway speeds. Factory gearing on the axles should be 4.10 if that helps.
Thanks for the reply steering is tight and has a new dampener.
Hi, Personally I don’t run anything bigger than 33s on our rigs,they are daily drivers. Anything bigger is TOO Slow without regearing.che
These are the recommendations from Cruiser Outfitters

62 with stock 4.11 gearing:Going to a 33" tire size: 4.56, 35" tires, 4.88, 37"+ tires, 5.29 ratio ring & pinion.
Awesome thanks for the information!
ck tie rods for sure and alignment. Slow ,yes, look at what it weighs. Mike
Thanks for the reply. Steering tight and is aligned. Not looking for speed the thing is a tank. Just looking for feedback on gearing. 1/2 drive I burn over a 1/4 tank of petrol.

Were the correct shims installed on the front axle with the lift springs?

Step down to 33" tires. You and the 35 year old vehicle will be alot happier. Stock gears will be fine with 33s.

All this power and MPG talk is subjective to you. How slow is slow? "1/2 drive I burn over 1/4 tank of petrol" means nothing to us.

Lets see some pics of the whole setup.

Agreed on above, what caster shims are in it? My old 62 I ran 4.88’s with 33’s and in my opinion it was perfect. I’d want at least that for 35’s if not 5.29’s.

Agreed on above, what caster shims are in it? My old 62 I ran 4.88’s with 33’s and in my opinion it was perfect. I’d want at least that for 35’s if not 5.29’s.
How was the '62 on 33's from a stop and going up hills. I'm thinking about getting 33's, but I live in the mountains and it already struggles at times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom