Builds 1990 FJ62 "weekender" poptop build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I decided to build this back in 2008.

The rain gutters had rust problems. The PO had made repairs. In the excitement of getting my first LandCruiser. I overlooked the small bubbles in the paint. Over time things got worse. I considered selling it and taking a loss.

2011 I decided to proceed .
This project has been great fun. I learned a lot, spent a ton of hours, and as little $$ as possible.

I still have a bunch of stuff to do
this is what it looks like today (9/9/2013)

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

After testing fitting the base frame, making sure it was in between the rain gutters. I decided to cut the roof out. My wife was the fire watch, we had 6 fire extinguisher handy.

I learned that I should've used a cutting saw instead of a plasma cutter. I also should've covered the windows to protect from the sparks. oh well

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

GOOD MAN! I almost pmmed ya to light a fire under your threatened build threads arse;) Keep em coming!

I Have been looking at the lift/stay design of the earlier VW campers and have decided that they would do great for when I do a pop top on the wifes 62. Bravo for the commitment! What kind of hinge did you use and could you post pics?...I was thinking of cutting out the whole roof and leave the support in the middle; make the bed plat able to slide fore or aft and access bed thru either the cargo zone or the front seats. Are you gunna do a bed on the bench across from the kitchen, or up in the pent house?

After aligning the frame. It was tacked to the body where the cross sections touched. The interior sides were installed first. Stitch welded, 4 points, top and bottom of frame, top lip of body and where ever it was 3/16 or less on the inside of the body. I made 10 - 20 tacks everyday after work. I made them in a criss cross fashion. trying to limit the effect of heat. I don't have a shot of this portion completed but every stitch touched. A nice way to unwind from a busy day.

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

I decided to use 3M nidacore instead of the aluminum. An expensive choice. The nidacore was secured with screws. first I had the nidacore on top the frame. I changed it to sandwich inbetween the 3x3 angle and the sq tubing and channel (front). I'm still trying to work this out. I used 75# gas struts to hold top up.

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4415.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom