1990 FJ62 Potential Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5.7 3ur and the 4.7 are very reliable. A non vvti 4.7 swap would probably cost about 35k or so. A 3ur swap would probably cost 45 to 60k. The LS motors are very reliable, and far easier to repair. And they are easy to get parts for. Both the toyota 5.7 and 4.7 are huge motors, so it would be a tight fit. Personally, if you don't have much of a budget concern, then I would go with a 7.0 liter LS7 erod motor kit from gm with a 6 speed automatic. Would be extremely cool and fun, and drive nice.

5.7 3ur and the 4.7 are very reliable. A non vvti 4.7 swap would probably cost about 35k or so. A 3ur swap would probably cost 45 to 60k. The LS motors are very reliable, and far easier to repair. And they are easy to get parts for. Both the toyota 5.7 and 4.7 are huge motors, so it would be a tight fit. Personally, if you don't have much of a budget concern, then I would go with a 7.0 liter LS7 erod motor kit from gm with a 6 speed automatic. Would be extremely cool and fun, and drive nice.

Lot of good points and accurate pricing.

But the 4.7 is a very tight motor, not that big. Although overhead cam, it’s still very compact and won’t be an issue in a 60.

Without a doubt, GM conversion is the “smart” move here based on what I’m hearing.

Okay, so I have decided to keep 'Nancy' instead of sell her after I threw a rod on the 3FE engine. My mechanic found a used engine that would be plug-n-play but I'm considering the 5.3 swap. Can I retain my A440 transmission and transfer case that I recently rebuilt before throwing the rod? Or, should I replace the transmission/transfer case?

Yeah ditch the stock trans and get something newer. Get the most out of your engine swap.

Yeah ditch the stock trans and get something newer. Get the most out of your engine swap.
Well, that means I'll be selling my newly rebuilt transmission. Should I ditch the transfer case as well or no? It was recently rebuilt with the transmission.

Well, that means I'll be selling my newly rebuilt transmission. Should I ditch the transfer case as well or no? It was recently rebuilt with the transmission.
Sell the rebuilt transmission and get a gm transmission with adapter to go to the toyota tcase. You have several gm transmissions to choose from. I personally think a 4 speed automatic such as a 4l60e or a 4l80e is simplest. I would go with a 6.0 rather than a 5.3. It will have more torque and tow better if you need to tow. A lq4 is a great 6.0 motor and plentiful. Just get a used one and replace the seals and gaskets. It's easiest to just buy a whole gm vehicle and use what you need.

Sell the rebuilt transmission and get a gm transmission with adapter to go to the toyota tcase. You have several gm transmissions to choose from. I personally think a 4 speed automatic such as a 4l60e or a 4l80e is simplest. I would go with a 6.0 rather than a 5.3. It will have more torque and tow better if you need to tow. A lq4 is a great 6.0 motor and plentiful. Just get a used one and replace the seals and gaskets. It's easiest to just buy a whole gm vehicle and use what you need.
So a big engine with the same 4 speeds as the straight 6cyl I have now? What's the benefit? Not being smart...just interested in your in-depth opinion. I've heard of people doing 6.2 swaps with 6 speed autos. In the end, I just want my vehicle to confidently work in muddy, steep and articulating situations. I won't be doing heavy rock crawling like buggies but I do want to be able to confidently descend and/or climb big hills in northern MS/AL and southern-central TN. There's quite a bit of slippery mud and dirt-covered rock out there that I'd like to tackle without thinking something was going to break. I know things will break every once in a while, but unlike the buggies, I'm not trying to do that. I want to be able to creep through most things and occasionally have the power to 'punch it' if need be, haha. Thoughts?

The GM 4 speed autos are strong enough, plentiful, and made to go behind that engine. The Toyota 4 speed is vastly older in design and even if rebuilt, won't really like having 100+ more horsepower in front of it. You would also have to make it mate to the GM engine and shift properly. Not worth the trouble. IMO, the engine and trans should be GM-sourced and then use the Toyota transfer case. Newer GM vehicles will have more gears in the transmissions, but may have other drawbacks. With enough horsepower, it doesn't matter as much if you have 4, 5, or 6 gears.

Read up on the many swaps here on Mud, and you'll find many that use the very proven LS engine and 4 speed auto combination. @White Stripe advice is solid in reply #26.

4L80E to 1990 LC TC is this the type of conversion kit I would go with to mate the 4L80E to my current TC? Also, which engines work best with the 4L80E?

So a big engine with the same 4 speeds as the straight 6cyl I have now? What's the benefit? Not being smart...just interested in your in-depth opinion. I've heard of people doing 6.2 swaps with 6 speed autos. In the end, I just want my vehicle to confidently work in muddy, steep and articulating situations. I won't be doing heavy rock crawling like buggies but I do want to be able to confidently descend and/or climb big hills in northern MS/AL and southern-central TN. There's quite a bit of slippery mud and dirt-covered rock out there that I'd like to tackle without thinking something was going to break. I know things will break every once in a while, but unlike the buggies, I'm not trying to do that. I want to be able to creep through most things and occasionally have the power to 'punch it' if need be, haha. Thoughts?
4L80E to 1990 LC TC is this the type of conversion kit I would go with to mate the 4L80E to my current TC? Also, which engines work best with the 4L80E?
A automatic 4 speed is different than a manual 4 speed. The torque converter changes how the gears feel. A 6.0 lq4 with a 4l80e would work well. A 6.0 lq4 with a good tune will make about 380hp. Add a mild aftermarket cam and you'll be at around 450hp. Make sure you pick a good shop to do it. Do some research and make up your own mind about motors. You could even swap in the 8.1 liter if you want a torque monster.

I like your idea of the GM 6.0 LQ4. The inspiration to my change of heart (as to keeping the old girl) was my camping trip this weekend where I realized my ‘04 Xterra was shifting to 4WD but wasn’t grabbing and turning the front axles. Bad front diff. Didn’t know. I only got stuck twice when I thought I had 4WD but when I learned I didn’t, I just gunned it in 1st whenever I was in a sticky situation. That being said, a stock ‘96 4Runner pulled me out both times. In the future, I’d like to return the favor…but with an older, more bad ace rig. I’m about to buy a new truck, sell the Xterra and begin working on the cruiser for next year’s camping trip.

I’m not sure where I’d be without you guys. Thanks to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom