1990 FJ62 - Can the tint be removed?... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...or is it "baked" in?

I'm looking at buying a nice low miles 1990 FJ62, and the most aesthetically displeasing thing about it for me (aside from the square lights) is the dark window tint. I prefer that FJ60 look, but this car is in such good shape I feel like I should jump on it.

I did some searching, and didn't find a really clear answer to whether the tint in this era LC is removable (although I did find threads on how to remove it it if is possible.)

Thanks a bunch!

Why wouldn't the tint be removable?

It may be a PITA to get off, but you should be able to get it off.

Get the corner started and it may come off with zero problem. If not use a heat gun and pull slowly as you heat.

Do a search for tint removal... It's not hard, but can take a while. You can do it with a clothes steamer, but go SLOWLY otherwise you'll be scraping adhesive off for hours. (I learned the hard way on the first window I did.) There's also an ammonia, black plastic, hot sun-method. I'm trying this one next time to see which I like better. Either way, have some Goof-off and a fresh razor blade nearby, you'll need them.
Or just take it to a tint shop, and they'll do it for you. $$$

Grab one of these Conair garment steamers, a few fresh razor blades and some towels to collect moisture. Use a lot of steam, and like @Spiva said, go slow. Took me about a half hour per window, give or take. Just watch the defrost contacts on the back with your blade - don't cut them.

Have you owned a 60 or 62 before? I like to refer to mine a the mobile greenhouse due to all the windows. It gets quite toasty while driving around.

My point is you may prefer the tint after having it for a little while. Good luck and show some pics after you aquire this fine machine.

I have to agree with greenbeast, you didn't say where you live but here in fl. you do everything possible to keep the inside cool.

Have you owned a 60 or 62 before? I like to refer to mine a the mobile greenhouse due to all the windows. It gets quite toasty while driving around.

My point is you may prefer the tint after having it for a little while. Good luck and show some pics after you aquire this fine machine.

I live in Sunny Seattle :). I drive a tint free wagon today, and prefer it that way. Thanks for the tip though!

Yeah that would make a difference. In Oklahoma you felt like a piece of meat in a rotisserie. In Colorado now not as bad but still toasty at a times.

Good luck, hope it works out.

Is that really only 7600 miles!?!? Did someone roll the odometer? Have you bought it yet? Amazing find.

Last edited:
That does not look like the stock tail pipe on the exhaust. Mine has just over 120K and still has the stock exhaust. My interior looks just as good. Had a problem with a car cover peeling the clear coat when I pulled it off with a foot of snow on it. Other than that it`s in about the same shape.

As for removing window tint I want to do the same thing. I had a nice bronze tint installed on when I bought it in 93. It has saved the interior but is now more of a blue. My biggest concern is the defrost on the rear window. Scrapping the tint might damage defrost because it laminated on the inside of the glass.

Any tint shop can remove your tint ~$200 for the rig. Agreed on being tint-free.

Is that really only 7600 miles!?!? Did someone roll the odometer? Have you bought it yet? Amazing find.

Speedometer was replaced at 1120k - so it's more like 200k - but can't know for sure. Zero rust, but he wants $10k. Not sure...

Tint comes off quite easily with heat and patience, get it right and the glue comes off as well. Don't let the dual headlights sway you, if you don't like that look it's very easy to change it to round headlights

Removed my tint last month. It was almost fun! Wait for a sunny day. Spray (liberally) 409 all over inside of window. Place black trash bag (cut close to size and single layer) over wet inside window. Leave out in sun for 15-20 minutes. Peel away. No adhesive or anything to clean if you go slowly.

I agree it looks better. Oh yes, I am in Houston without AC at the moment and can not tell an appreciable difference between tinted and non tinted comfort.

I'm in a 60, how could I NOT be cool?

Sorry - 110k, not 1120k - lol!
$10k seems a little high. Has the engine and/or tranny been rebuilt? If not, it may need one or both fairly soon. I got mine for $6500 with both already rebuilt, and a bunch of other upgrades (brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.) with the interior in great condition (just dirty). And that was in The Peoples Republic of California! Talk him down, or keep looking... Just my $.02.

$10k seems a little high. Has the engine and/or tranny been rebuilt? If not, it may need one or both fairly soon. I got mine for $6500 with both already rebuilt, and a bunch of other upgrades (brakes, suspension, exhaust, etc.) with the interior in great condition (just dirty). And that was in The Peoples Republic of California! Talk him down, or keep looking... Just my $.02.

Not sure I agree a 3FE needs to be rebuild around 100K. I got burned on my first cruiser (40 years ago) when what I thought was lifter noise turned out to be a rod cap had come loose and spun a bearing. A little noise in my FJ62 so be safe at 100K I replaced all the rod bearings. The 3FE has a code on the bottom of the block for bearing size for each one, rod and main. All six rod bearings were at the top end of the spec as in showed very little wear. A440F seems to be a mixed off how long they last. With heat being a killer. Twenty-one years owning the 62 I've seen the transmission temperature light come on once. Backed off and the light went out right away. Still going strong, knock on wood.

PS: While I'm not sure I need window tint now I will say I believe it help save the interior of mine with the UV protection being the Phoenix area.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom