1990 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a line on a 1990 FJ60 for $2500.00. There is significant frame rust in spots, a bit of body rust as well. Mechanically the vehicle is in good condition, seats and interior are fair. Is there a source for a new frame if it were to come to that? I think the vehicle could be saved and it seems like no brainer if I can get the frame dealt with and not spend a fortune. I've never owned one of these older units, all of mine have been 100's and 200's. What other issues in the 60's do I need to look at and be aware of?

Thats not a bad deal if its running and driving in some fashion. Others may disagree, but it depends on what your idea of good deal is and how deep your pockets are. Things to look for would be rusted out floors, wheel wells, etc. Check for rust at the bottom corners of the windshield. Check to see how original the engine bay is looking and if the smog pump and stuff is still in there. That may matter depending on your local emissions. Otherwise, lots of leaking fluids will mean seal replacements Look at the engine oil and make sure it looks like oil and not milky. Try to look around the valve cover to be sure its not got signs of lots of overheating. If its runs and drives, thats a lot of it. Then just rust and how much can you live with or willing to repair/pay to repair.
Pawleys Island is beautiful. I stayed in the northern most house on the basin side one time on a surf trip to the area. The place was a mansion!

Is there a source for a new frame if it were to come to that? I think the vehicle could be saved and it seems like no brainer if I can get the frame dealt with and not spend a fortune.

You will spend a fortune on frame work, unless you do it yourself (especially a swap) or find a sympathetic shop. Good frames are out there, but rarely near you. On a vehicle of this age, and in that price range, you will need to DIY on most everything.

Post pix of what you find.

Is there a source for a new frame if it were to come to that? I think the vehicle could be saved and it seems like no brainer if I can get the frame dealt with and not spend a fortune.

You will spend a fortune on frame work, unless you do it yourself (especially a swap) or find a sympathetic shop. Good frames are out there, but rarely near you. On a vehicle of this age, and in that price range, you will need to DIY on most everything.

Post pix of what you find.

Working on getting some now.

Would be worth that even if you cant "save" it...guessing it would part out for wayyyyyy more

Most/all frame (ladder chassis) rust in on the rear bottom where wet sand stays, not difficult to chop it out and weld new 4 mm steel in or over.
Body is the same with some 1.25 mm sheet metal cut and grind with a smile, I like to do weekend maintenance jobs so it stays running and enjoying what it is made for.
Many opinions on that, also many say scrapper and arb in one sentence.

Hi, Don’t underestimate the time on repairs like this.Also the equipment needed for repairs. Mike

You could search for a donor vehicle that has a decent frame and possibly other parts you need. I bought a busted 84 thinking I would fix it up. It bleed out in the driveway as soon as I got it home. I stripped all kinds of stuff off of it and bought an 87 and got a good running truck that is a solid daily driver and sold the old truck to someone else to finish parting out. Learned a lot from that experience and I’m glad it happened that way in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom