1990 CA FJ62 Smog/Fuel Fill Neck Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a long while, but I'm hoping someone with more experience can help:

My 1990 Truck has always passed CA smog no problem, but this year my NO numbers are high:
screen-shot-2014-09-23-at-12-36-53-pm-png.945429

The tech at the Test Only Smog Center also told me the gas fill neck wasn't sealing properly.

My mechanic suspects the fill neck issue is also the root of the high NO measurement.

Here's the issue: The fill neck is discontinued for FJ60/62, so the likelihood is I may be dealing with the same issue from a used part. However, in checking out SOR, it seems like the part of the fill neck that actually has threads for the gas cap is a separate part (which is readily available and only $9):
screen-shot-2014-09-22-at-2-36-15-pm-png.945432

When I called SOR yesterday, they seemed to confirm that part 3 above is separate.

My mechanic is telling me the SOR diagram is for a BJ or European model and that the US FJ62 is a single piece fill neck.

Any advice/thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 12.36.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-22 at 2.36.15 PM.png

The gasket #3 above is a gasket between the fill neck and the body of the truck and has zero, literally zero, to do with the EVAP system function. The gas cap seals the fuel neck opening, but the gasket you're looking at above does nothing other than keep water that comes inbetween the gas door and the body from draining inside the quarter panel.

New gas caps can be purchased from Toyota or an aftermarket one can be found at most auto parts stores.

The problem with the fill pipe to cap seal is often the result of the gas nozzle bending the thread tangs. I have straightened a few to get them to seal again and it's fairly easy to do.

That and a new cap should make it pass. Worth a try.

Only other choice is a new fill pipe or I recall someone finding a company that sells the threaded part so a new style threaded cap can be used? It gets welded to the fill pipe.

The gasket #3 above is a gasket between the fill neck and the body of the truck and has zero, literally zero, to do with the EVAP system function. The gas cap seals the fuel neck opening, but the gasket you're looking at above does nothing other than keep water that comes inbetween the gas door and the body from draining inside the quarter panel.

New gas caps can be purchased from Toyota or an aftermarket one can be found at most auto parts stores.

Thanks GLTHFJ60. My issue isn't the gas cap though as that actually checked out fine during the Smog test (they pressure test it individually).

I think my problem is here (red arrow) where wear from the gas cap has worn away metal:

img_5685-copy-jpg.945503

IMG_5685 copy.jpg

The problem with the fill pipe to cap seal is often the result of the gas nozzle bending the thread tangs. I have straightened a few to get them to seal again and it's fairly easy to do.

That and a new cap should make it pass. Worth a try.

Only other choice is a new fill pipe or I recall someone finding a company that sells the threaded part so a new style threaded cap can be used? It gets welded to the fill pipe.

Thanks doug720!

So here's the question: is the piece with the threads replaceable independent of the fill pipe?

Thanks GLTHFJ60. My issue isn't the gas cap though as that actually checked out fine during the Smog test (they pressure test it individually).

So here's the question: is the piece with the threads replaceable independent of the fill pipe?

So your problem isn't with the gas cap, but with the threads that hold the gas cap on? (isn't that the same thing?) Or is it that you're saying they took the gas cap off of the vehicle and tested that piece by itself somehow?

No, the threads in the fill neck for the gas cap are one piece with the rest of the neck. The whole shebang is replaced as a unit.

So your problem isn't with the gas cap, but with the threads that hold the gas cap on? (isn't that the same thing?) Or is it that you're saying they took the gas cap off of the vehicle and tested that piece by itself somehow?

No, the threads in the fill neck for the gas cap are one piece with the rest of the neck. The whole shebang is replaced as a unit.

Yes, new CA Emissions testing pressure tests the cap and fill neck individually. I think this is new since my last emissions test 2 years ago.

Update: I got tired of waiting for my regular mechanic to schedule me as my tags were already expired, so in desperation I went to a local smog shop where the owner assured me he could get it to pass. For the NO he replaced the EGR Transducer Valve and for the filler neck issue he pressure tested it and could see a small leak at the bottom. His solution: squeezing it with a big channel lock plier. I couldn't believe it. He told me it looked oval to him!

It passed. Not with flying colors, but I'm good for another two years.

As always, thanks for all your input and advice!

bump, looking for solutions to fix a filler neck on an 89, has anyone ever welded in one of these adapters and was it any issue with CA smog? I am having the exact same issue as the pictures above. I bent the tabs back but I don't believe it is going to last long and from what I have seen the fuel filler neck is discontinued.

I got a better used one and electrolysed it and painted it and am going to order new gasket and grommet and swap it in coming up. Going forward I plan to get a screw type filler neck and graft it to the pipe, or bend a new piece of pipe to graft it to, and fab a flange. the tab type neck that we have to deal with is prone to destruction by filling up, not to mention insecure and just plain old. google filler neck supply and see what you get- ours are just about 2"...I can't imagine a nicely done screw type adapter causing issues at smog unless it looked like a crap-job...the hardest thing is going to be getting it to all tuck into the gas flap; but it seems to be doable...

I got a better used one and electrolysed it and painted it and am going to order new gasket and grommet and swap it in coming up. Going forward I plan to get a screw type filler neck and graft it to the pipe, or bend a new piece of pipe to graft it to, and fab a flange. the tab type neck that we have to deal with is prone to destruction by filling up, not to mention insecure and just plain old. google filler neck supply and see what you get- ours are just about 2"...I can't imagine a nicely done screw type adapter causing issues at smog unless it looked like a crap-job...the hardest thing is going to be getting it to all tuck into the gas flap; but it seems to be doable...

I agree, I can't imagine it causing a smog problem, BUT, we live in CA and sometimes smog is crazy during the inspection process. I am fairly sure that if they see if it has been tampered with they will and can fail you. Probably depends on the guy.

I agree, I can't imagine it causing a smog problem, BUT, we live in CA and sometimes smog is crazy during the inspection process. I am fairly sure that if they see if it has been tampered with they will and can fail you. Probably depends on the guy.

as long as it doesn't look like it was a graft-job, you'll be fine. if you're not confident with your welding, then farm it to an artisan. if it looks factory, they're not going to ask...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom