1990 4Runner, rear window won't close (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
The center console rear window switch works, along with the key switch. It'll always go down, but often takes a few tries before it'll go up. Once it starts going up, there's no hesitation or issues. I can hear the relay click when I tell it to go up via the key or switch.

This morning, it won't roll back up no matter what I do. The relay clicks. The back door light is staying lit, though, even though the door is closed.

I don't know where the back door switch is. It feels like the door closes firmly. The rear wiper seems to be retracted.

Would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks!

does pushing the gate closed while hitting the switch help?
the "door open" switch is activated by the lock

i would assume that if the relay is clicking, either the relay is going wonk or you're having a bit of a voltage drop.

best advice is to find the diagram and troubleshooting. relay box is in front of the jack on ds rear.

the "door open" switch is activated by the lock...
Try locking the door before operating the window.

Thank you both for your replies!

the "door open" switch is activated by the lock

i would assume that if the relay is clicking, either the relay is going wonk or you're having a bit of a voltage drop.

best advice is to find the diagram and troubleshooting. relay box is in front of the jack on ds rear.

Pushing into it doesn't seem to help at all. That's helpful about the door switch. It looks like the door lock does indeed get rid of the "rear door" light. The central locking button also doesn't lock the rear door. I think it does lock when the window goes up, though.

Try locking the door before operating the window.

No luck with that, this time. I can hear something rattle-y, maybe like rocks, in the tailgate. I think I need to open it up and see what's going on.

It was always finicky for me, but it would take a few tries with the key and almost always work. Or maybe while driving, it'd go up, maybe from a bump jostling something. Now nothing, which is maybe good because it forces me to fix it.

Okay, so without moving the vehicle or anything, it just started working. And perfectly at that, not even finicky. The only thing I can think is that it was cooler and a bit moist in the morning, and hot and dry now. Maybe something dried out?

I opened it up and couldn't see anything off. There definitely is stuff in the tailgate (maybe rust bits, though it doesn't look rusty), but it's hard to get out. Can't easily extend the window when the tailgate is down.

Is there a known moisture sensitive component? I did notice that the black steel piece had a lot of plastic under it, with painter's tape holding it together. How important is that moisture barrier? I wonder if maybe it was too tight, and helped trap moisture. But overall, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Edit: This sounds like exactly the same issue: 4Runner Rear Window Cheap Tricks - https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml#RelayRepair

Last edited:
the tailgate harness has a couple of main plugs. one in the gate, one by the jack. could potentially be susceptible to moisture.

Same thing today! In the cool morning, would not go up. When it heated up, worked perfectly. Definitely one of those relays.

Okay, so without moving the vehicle or anything, it just started working. And perfectly at that, not even finicky. The only thing I can think is that it was cooler and a bit moist in the morning, and hot and dry now. Maybe something dried out?

I opened it up and couldn't see anything off. There definitely is stuff in the tailgate (maybe rust bits, though it doesn't look rusty), but it's hard to get out. Can't easily extend the window when the tailgate is down.

Is there a known moisture sensitive component? I did notice that the black steel piece had a lot of plastic under it, with painter's tape holding it together. How important is that moisture barrier? I wonder if maybe it was too tight, and helped trap moisture. But overall, I'm not sure what to make of it.

Edit: This sounds like exactly the same issue: 4Runner Rear Window Cheap Tricks - https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/RearWindow.shtml#RelayRepair
Thank you for posting that link, I've been inside this can of worms for too long. Did not know about the rear wiper needing to be fully parked for switches to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom