1989 special edition ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I just stumbled upon this Land Cruiser in my local ads.
Is it some kind of special edition? It is a 1989 with square headlights. But don't know what the black rounded plastics in the high roof (both sides) are for?
Also I don't have any clue what the black metal things on the right side of the back are for.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Thanks!

Photos belong to the rightful owner.

-1_production-20210108120920115-830_A.jpg

-4_production-20210108120953629-830_A.jpg

4 headlights were available in other markets a few years before the 62 series intro in the US
my guess on the black things on the roof are for a roof rack and the hoops on the right rear are a ladder of some sort.

Looks like the high roof found on the HJ61 I think. Based on your user name are you in SA? Think the hj61 was sort of the executive model with greater headroom for the back passengers. Sort of 😉

Looks like the high roof found on the HJ61 I think. Based on your user name are you in SA? Think the hj61 was sort of the executive model with greater headroom for the back passengers. Sort of 😉

Yes, I am in Paraguay. Yeah the high roof version is quite rare to find here, but looks more aggressive in my opinion, also a little more room to sit (for camping, sleeping in the car, etc.). Just was not sure about the metal things on the right back and the plastic things on the roof. Also thought about a ladder and earlier roof rack, but normally I know the chrome roof rack on the roof or just attaching a roof rack to the side of the roof without screws etc, just clamping them on.

idk...but its awesome!

I’ve seen metal steps like that on a Japanese truck once though that one had barn doors.
Assume that there was a custom roof rack (basket type) that held luggage and the ladder steps were there to help hoist the luggage up there and retrieve it.
My understanding is that you use the back right tire, or in your case lower tailgate to put your foot on the first medal ladder thing and the higher one as a grab handle. Who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom