1989 Montero V6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotahed

Diesel Head
Threads
Hey all,
Im a toyota guy, but I took a chance on this rig for fun. Zero body rust with a nice petina on the frame. Factory rear locker. 180K Picked it up for 300 bucks. needs a timing belt. any info/feedback would be appreciated

dont see a whole lot of posting going on in this forum lately, Lets change it up!

cheers

mits3.jpg

mits2.jpg

NO WAY!!

So the guy I bought this thing off said the crank bolt worked loose, and was replaced with new parts. When he went to start it up it made a god awful banging noise and he shut it down and it sat for 4 years.

I checked the timing, timing belt, made sure all the marks were lined up, and it fired up on the first turn. It has a small amount of valve clatter, But it hasnt run in 4 years so im thinking thats quite normal. No banging or anything, idles very smoothly. not sure what the original issue was? lack of oil in the top end? anyone had a banging noise after they changed the crank bolt?

the valve train noise seems to be a common issue on these motors and can be remedied easily.

Im going to do the Timing belt and water pump anyway, since its already half apart.
Quite happy so far.

Got the front of the motor torn down. Looks like oil was leaking from the crank seal, or cam seals, or both. Very oily and gunky in there. Cleaned it all out. Picked up new seals today. Swapped the new water pump onto the housing(very strange setup) and in the process of removing the crank gear bolt to access the crank seal.
Should be up in running again in a few days.
Looking forward to bombing around in the Mits!

Cheers

Got everything buttoned up awhile back. Drove it for a month to work and back with zero issues. Ended up selling it for 2200$.
Not bad for a 800 dollar fix up.

Liked the truck, really missed the elbow room though. Always banging my knee off the window switch. Annoying. And no cup holders wtf?

image.jpg

HI. cheers

This si my Montero buy it this week. Y era 90, v6 3000 automatic, 260,000 miles ver y good, I'm closing doors, details and tapestry seat, you chance tires and rims and ready to roll.

Regards

Felix

Got everything buttoned up awhile back. Drove it for a month to work and back with zero issues. Ended up selling it for 2200$.
Not bad for a 800 dollar fix up.

Liked the truck, really missed the elbow room though. Always banging my knee off the window switch. Annoying. And no cup holders wtf?

image.jpg

nice truck. the tires really fatten up the stance.

cheers

I had a truck just like the one you had. same color and all. that damn thing went a lot of places. all my buddy's in there 40s would laugh at my stock monty on 31s, and it made it! It would look a bit different each time but it all ways got me home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom