BaT 1989 FJ75 on BAT (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Not mine. Let’s play a game - post your bet on final sale price. I say $26,350. What say you? :steer:

3238FD6B-D57D-416F-BB02-03F7ABB1BFDC.jpeg

I should have updated this thread earlier, I've just been busy with my own BaT auction.

I went to look at this truck yesterday since I'm local in Austin. It was your typical South American truck and I'm not sure I'd pay $25k for it. It had a "spray and pray" paint job. Coolant leak. Oil leak. Fuel hoses were cracked/failing. The killer for me was the bed swap (truck was originally a flat bed). They hadn't bothered to attach the bed to the frame. Bed also appeared to be cobbled together. The entire bed floor was diamond plate. I also don't think the bedsides are correct. I just wouldn't pay a premium for this particular truck.

8-C8-BA04-A-7-B34-419-D-9-FCE-2-BA1-BE17-E45-E.jpg

BD02-EDE7-0-C15-4-CBB-A146-04182038-CD22.jpg

Ignore the floating bed. Look at the muffler hanger. :rofl:

DA43-A821-51-B6-4-BF1-8-D83-EE5-E38-F9-A569.jpg

Is this OEM?
EB51-E889-5-AB8-40-C2-AB3-B-99-DF462742-DC.jpg

@Arizona Jeff - You were really close with your prediction. What do you think my 1983 Pickup on BaT will fetch?

Automobile Mag did a feature story on it. Hopefully that generates some exposure!

1983-toyota-4x4-pickup-15839617427dff9f98764da1983-toyota-4x4-pickup-1583961740fcd2086a48ea93-0ce7-400f-93f2-0f32bca6d34d-kbdef-D-940x627.jpg
The bed is proper for a SA truck. They got the 45 beds. It also has the Dana rear end.

The bed is proper for a SA truck. They got the 45 beds. It also has the Dana rear end.

Good intel, I didn’t know that about the beds. But they had cobbled it together in the sense that they welded In diamond plate for the bed floor.

Last edited:
Not surprised by your intel on this truck. It was hard to tell as the pictures weren't great IMO, but outside of a rare few, this is how pretty much these trucks come from SA.

The pictures you took are most likely the tip of the iceberg on this trucks issues.

Showed this to an expat buddy of mine from VZ, he said the only truck he'd buy from SA is an unmolested one which is very hard to find. Otherwise you run into this "quality".

Showed this to an expat buddy of mine from VZ, he said the only truck he'd buy from SA is an unmolested one which is very hard to find. Otherwise you run into this "quality".

I'm not particularly intersted in a SA or CA truck for a variety of reasons. But the big one for Venezuela was that the Venezuelan government was dictating to Toyota on how to build it. They were invoking protocols about what materials could be used and where Toyota could manufacture the trucks, so they could keep money local. Dana 60 rear axles, for example. I just don't want some bureaucrat dictating to Toyota how to build the truck. Toyota knows what they are doing. They might be minor changes, but it's also a matter of principle. I'm willing to keep looking and pay a premium for (IMHO) a better truck.

Not mine. Let’s play a game - post your bet on final sale price. I say $26,350. What say you? :steer:

View attachment 2305582

I think @Arizona Jeff and I are feeling pretty darn good about ourselves right now, recognizing the trucks we have, and given that $25,000 only buys you a 70 series pick up like the one on BaT.

Then again, he and I aren't the only ones happily hitched to our 70 series pickups. 😍

I think @Arizona Jeff and I are feeling pretty darn good about ourselves right now, recognizing the trucks we have, and given that $25,000 only buys you a 70 series pick up like the one on BaT.

Then again, he and I aren't the only ones happily hitched to our 70 series pickups. 😍
The trucks are still a rare commodity in the U.S. :)

Nice pickup - 83 is a great year
Pros - color, clean interior, nice condition for the year
Cons - no power steering or A/C,
$15,200 is my prediction.
Best of luck I hope you get much more. I almost bought this one before getting my fj75 pickup. I bid it to $22k, hammer price was $25k. It was super clean, PS, A/C. Darn near showroom but the paint job was not.

View attachment 2311040
Nice pickup - 83 is a great year
Pros - color, clean interior, nice condition for the year
Cons - no power steering or A/C,
$15,200 is my prediction.
Best of luck I hope you get much more. I almost bought this one before getting my fj75 pickup. I bid it to $22k, hammer price was $25k. It was super clean, PS, A/C. Darn near showroom but the paint job was not.

View attachment 2311040
@Will Van I guessed it within $50. Not too bad. :)

It looks like the BaT buyer fell through. Listed again on EBay: 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ75 | eBay
Would be cool to hear why these “bat” sales fall trough , not the first cruiser on “bat” that pops up again righ5 after being sold. Wonder if the buyer cancels the sale for some reason or if the seller falsely makes the highest bid himself to prep the bidding price up?

Would be cool to hear why these “bat” sales fall trough , not the first cruiser on “bat” that pops up again righ5 after being sold. Wonder if the buyer cancels the sale for some reason or if the seller falsely makes the highest bid himself to prep the bidding price up?

I spoke with the seller. In this instance, it was by agreement. The buyer is a small business owner. Shortly after the auction, the buyer’s business was looted during one of the political riots. Seller agreed to let him back out of the deal. At least, that’s what he told me.

FWIW my BaT auction went off without a hitch. I was paid the same day.

I spoke with the seller. In this instance, it was by agreement. The buyer is a small business owner. Shortly after the auction, the buyer’s business was looted during one of the political riots. Seller agreed to let him back out of the deal. At least, that’s what he told me.

FWIW my BaT auction went off without a hitch. I was paid the same day.
That sucks , you know where the buyer was located ?

Did he say why it’s listed in Houston now and not Austin when on Bat?

I believe the Owner's Brother was listing it on BaT on Owner's behalf. Brother lives in Austin. Owner lives in Houston. When I looked at the truck in-person in Austin, I met the brother.

I'm not interested in the truck anyway (because it was a dog), but anyone interested in buying it should do their due-diligence and ensure the seller actually has clean title before exchanging money. When trucks start floating around different cities on multiple websites, something fishy could be going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom