1989 fj62 starts and runs fine for about three miles then acts like it runs out of fuel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if you are looking down at the pipes coming out of the tank, there should be 6? small 8mm head bolts holding the assembly to the tank, disconnect the fuel lines above rear axle, disconnect the wire harness thru the fuel level guage access hole, assembly can be removed from the tank. 2 wire connections to the pump and a short hose and a filter sock. it will make sense when it is in your hands.
the pump mounts in the bracket assembly.

Indispensable resource for all things Land Cruiser
These links don't work anymore. There are some FSM's in the "Resources" button at the top of the page.

Gotta love internet troubleshooting 😆😆

In this case I would highly suggest getting some fuel pressure numbers before just shotgun replacing any component. It is not uncommon for a fuel pump to overheat and stop working, so swap it out and see. I would spend 10 minutes hooking the gauge up beforehand to verify.

No pressure with correct voltage? Could still be the fuel pressure regulator. Clamp the return line to verify.

Good pressure and still acts funny? Check your ignition system while hot. I just went through an intermittent igniter failure on my Suzuki that did exactly what you are describing.

I recently had an intermittent fuel pump I posted about, so yes its a thing as far as I'm concerned. Mine was causing the 62 to to stumble and want to stall if I wasnt tending the throttle until it got warm. Then one day just died about 100 yards down the road from work. Replaced the pump and it runs great. You are probably either clogged or not getting enough flow from the pump because its just tired. I cut the hole in the floor too. MAKE IT A BIG HOLE! Also expect to have to bend the lines on the pump assembly housing and be sure to pray your compression fitting at the rubber line is not fused on there or that will be another hurdle. Ask me how I know.
I'll bet the pump is your issue. But ive been wrong many times before.

Kind of off topic. I’m putting a 3 FE in my BJ73, can I get away with putting a electric pump on the Frame someplace . Do I need a intank pump? The engine came out of a 89 FJ62. Would the computer freak out? The engine I’m putting in is desmoged

The nice thing about going on tank for the pump is just that the pump gets cooled by the fuel in the tank and the pump stays clean. Frame rail pumps just get exposed to whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom