1989 fj62 starts and runs fine for about three miles then acts like it runs out of fuel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1989 fj62 3fe. Will start and idle and run fine after it warms up acts like out of gas either at least dle or driving at highway speed. Won't refire. After it cools down will start and same thing again. Changed filter. Same issue. Three weeks ago I repaired corroded wire in left fender well when I was getting no power to pump an issue I found due to forums on here. I have had this 62 for about nine months and have no previous issues but do not know much about it. It has 297,000 on odometer Wich does not work. I do not know much about this rigs previous life but she was only 800 dollars and everything down to AC works. I have not checked fuel pump but can hear it run if I jumper relay. The check engine light has not come on. Any ideas?

cranks but does not start?
need to check for spark, could be coil
have you looked inside the distributor? if the distributor cap lines aren't hooked up for air circulation, it can cause issues, cap and rotor condition?
fuel pump does run when it won't start?

Hi, Checkthe fuel pressure damper.Mike
You'll have to forgive me but I'm not great with efi systems. Where is it located and what is the function of it? I'm better with carburetors and tbi stuff and these 3fe fuel systems are nothing like what I'm used to.

Fuel filter.

starts when sediment is settled to the bottom. then eventually clogs up and sputters out. Seen it before.

I was refering to the inline fuel filter. I have seen several old crusiers which sat around needing 2 or 3 filters before they stop getting gummed up with corrosion or varnish. The sock should be inspected or cleaned too if you were indeed clogging filters.

systematically go through and clean / test/ replace if needed / every component in the system one by one till it runs right.

1989 fj62 3fe. Will start and idle and run fine after it warms up acts like out of gas either at least dle or driving at highway speed. Won't refire. After it cools down will start and same thing again. Changed filter. Same issue. Three weeks ago I repaired corroded wire in left fender well when I was getting no power to pump an issue I found due to forums on here. I have had this 62 for about nine months and have no previous issues but do not know much about it. It has 297,000 on odometer Wich does not work. I do not know much about this rigs previous life but she was only 800 dollars and everything down to AC works. I have not checked fuel pump but can hear it run if I jumper relay. The check engine light has not come on. Any ideas?
I've been a professional mechanic and I've worked in shops and it work on every car except the Exotic vehicles. This would be typical overheating condition of the ignition module or fuel pump. Get a can of air cleaner it's usually compressed CO2. Once it shuts down again open up the distributor cap and spray liquid air into the distributor cap if the ignition module it's is inside there or find the ignition unit wherever it is located I suspect is probably bolted to the firewall and cool down the unit put your hand on the unit before you cool it down with liquid air or some water bottle. Go inside and see if the car or the truck starts. You can actually overload the coil or the ignition module simply by neglecting to replace the distributor cap and or plugs. The Gap will increase on both the plugs and the distributor cap to rotor and the higher voltage is will cause more current flow into the coil and possibly to the ignition unit causing the transistor to shut down from overheating. Have you done a spark test after it shuts down?

Hi, If it’s original fuel pump, I’d replace it with a Denso unit. And also the fuel filter between the battery and firewall. These get really corroded when they sit in ethanol gas. If the plugs are firing ,it gets down to gas and air. Fuel damper is at the front of the fuel rail and looks like a brass saucer. Mike

cranks but does not start?
need to check for spark, could be coil
have you looked inside the distributor? if the distributor cap lines aren't hooked up for air circulation, it can cause issues, cap and rotor condition?
fuel pump does run when it won't start?
[/QUO

Have not been able to check spark after warm yet. I will. I got her home late last night and hopefully if I don't have to plow snow today I can start looking at things. When I brought her home from where she died yesterday she fired right up and ran fine all the way home so I let her idle when I got here and she died about two minutes after I got here also it was cold like seven degrees out when I drove her home if that make a difference. But it seems to be same amount of time regardless of outside weather

Update started her this morning to pull into shop and only ran two minutes before she died and will not fire

You could try priming the fuel rail by using a paperclip. Open the diagnostic connector and use the paperclip to bridge the FP and P terminals inside with the key on. that should make the fuel pump run. Another way is to remove the intake tube and push the flap open inside the AFM. This should also turn the pump on. Run the pump for a moment then try starting it again. Connect the tube before you try to start it again. Sounds like a fuel issue as it will start and run for a few before it dies. I have had symptoms like this before, the flap in the AFM gets stuck sometimes and won't open with the intake air. It is one of the ways the fuel pump gets turned on.

Do you have the FSM? Factory service manual - downloads are available. . .

These may be helpful.

Do you have the FSM? Factory service manual - downloads are available. . .

These may be helpful.

I do not have a fsm or access at this point right now I wonder if I own the only anywhere near me as far as a 60 series lol. In fact before I bought it I had never seen one and I thought it would be a good four wheel drive for the money. But my Jeep has since been wrecked and I was just wanting to use the toy for my trail rig instead of buying another. I really do like the toyots

Indispensable resource for all things Land Cruiser

Update. I have proper voltage to pump. Pump sounds funny if that makes sense. Not like it did when I repaired wiring I now barely get fuel to filter and pump won't run all the time. Is it common for these to fail intermittently as opposed to just quitting? I have constant 12 volts to pump by bypassing relay so it comes on when key is on. I am just wondering if these pumps get weak or intermittently cease to function. And also does anybody have a diagram breakdown of how pump disassembled for replacement. Thanks

pump is inside the tank, you can drop the tank to access it, just did this a few weeks ago, 3 hours or so but all my hardware came loose and didn't break.
other option is to cut a hole in the floor of the cargo area, very carefully, and access it from the top.

either way get a Denso pump, $100 -125?

I've already cut hole and fabbed a cover at this point and the pump arrived today. I've just never done one that wasn't a full assembly ie late 90s chevy type pumps. That is why I was wondering if anyone had a blow up or pics of pump assembly. Pump came only with printed instructions no diagrams or pictures I did order denso as everyone has recommended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom