1989 FJ62 rust.....weird location. What’s your theory on how it happened? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Happy New Year! I looked at an 89 FJ62 yesterday. The truck is not for sale, so I have no horse in the race but I noticed rust in a location that I have never seen before.
The area of the pillars (I think it’s part of the pillars?) that forms the curved area behind the front doors is rotted bad on this truck. I have looked at many 60/62’s over the years and this is the first one that I have ever seen rusted in that area, not even the really rotted East Coast trucks!
My initial theory is that debris built up behind the lower leg of each front fender thus allowing moisture to remain in that area for an extended period of time. Any ideas? Is it even possible to repair the rust here successfully?

All the best,
Zack

4DB1E9B5-5122-4D24-8AB1-DF28EFEE80C4.jpeg

DF43A0BC-875B-4B94-A3D6-B66B4A296E88.jpeg

568507E4-F1EF-42FE-85BE-3A16FFC043B5.jpeg

9827974C-EC6C-45B5-8EBC-07F6C2F3441C.jpeg

E5CA821D-2F07-4DDE-85D1-212D8851FAF8.jpeg

Maybe some water got in the holes for the retainer clips for the trim on the rocker panels and it rusted from there. I agree though, that's a pretty odd spot to be rusted out.

I think a repair here would be difficult because the weight of the entire roof structure is dependent on this area. I guess you would need to build some roof support before even attempting to cut this area out?

I think a repair here would be difficult because the weight of the entire roof structure is dependent on this area. I guess you would need to build some roof support before even attempting to cut this area out?
no need to get that elaborate. form your patch piece, scribe your cut, carve it out, burn patch in. there's alot more holding that roof up that just those points

It's not that unusual a place to rust. My old HJ60 rusted there, and I've seen a few other rigs on MUD with the same. But if it's gone there, it likely really gone in other places...

That's exactly what happened and it's not rare. Mine was starting to do that in the same spots. If the door seal isn't great, water draining off the roof down the gutters will end up at that location, keeping it damp.
Not uncommon with surfer's cruisers who put salty surfboards or paddleboards on the roof racks - then the salted dew drips off the boards on to the roof - and voilà 20 years later-- Rust

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom