1989 FJ62 Mud flap Restoration Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TStro

SILVER Star
Threads
Luckily my mud flap brackets are in pretty good shape. My question is on the white lettering. I have seen everyone only whiting out the Land Cruiser logo on the rear flaps, and nothing on the Toyota logo on the front flaps. It looked like my flaps have some residual white paint on the Toyota lettering on the fronts before I cleaned it off. Originally was there also white lettering on the Toyota lettering on the fronts? TIA

Luckily my mud flap brackets are in pretty good shape. My question is on the white lettering. I have seen everyone only whiting out the Land Cruiser logo on the rear flaps, and nothing on the Toyota logo on the front flaps. It looked like my flaps have some residual white paint on the Toyota lettering on the fronts before I cleaned it off. Originally was there also white lettering on the Toyota lettering on the fronts? TIA
I’m the original owner of my 89. Front flaps did not have White Letters.

Any good sources for these mud flaps? Previously, I saw a link to an ebay auction for (presumably) aftermarket reproduction mudflaps?
Are oem ones available? Partsouq maybe? Thanks

@FishNinJay negative on OEM. You won't find them on partsouq. Someone is selling aftermarket versions I've seen on ebay or restored. Good luck!

Any good sources for these mud flaps? Previously, I saw a link to an ebay auction for (presumably) aftermarket reproduction mudflaps?
Back in August of 2020, I used the auction site and got a set of brand new OEM "splash guards" (all 4) from partsroute for $329.00 plus expensive shipping.

partsroute has a set of rear OEMs on that site now: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 1981-1992 Rear Mud Flaps Splash Guards Rock OEM Genuine | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ62-1981-1992-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guards-Rock-OEM-Genuine/254397055548?hash=item3b3b3f023c:g:LRsAAOSwIkNcGmNe

edit: the seller was partsroute not partsouq. Sorry.

Last edited:
dang.. they're expensive.. Definitely down toward the bottom of my ToDo list.
Yea, man... I choked on the price, but decided to grab them anyway before they disappeared forever. BUT, those are cheap compared to the $1,900 somebody is asking for a set of 4 restored flaps... insane :oops:

When I was cleaning up my mudflaps, I decided to go a little bit non-OEM and did paint the TOYOTA flaps.

I think it turned out quite nice. Added in some new flat washers, painted them black and lastly added some butyl tape to mold the flaps up against the frame.

IMG_20180713_204500624.jpg

IMG_20180714_084713536_HDR.jpg

I used a standard white paint pen that I got from an art store for $3. Get a gold one while you are at it so you can make your rear TOYOTA axle covers bright and beautiful as well.

I understand that mud flaps for fender flares are still available from Toyota. The model for non flares is long gone.

Back in August of 2020, I used the auction site and got a set of brand new OEM "splash guards" (all 4) from partsroute for $329.00 plus expensive shipping.

partsroute has a set of rear OEMs on that site now: Toyota Land Cruiser FJ62 1981-1992 Rear Mud Flaps Splash Guards Rock OEM Genuine | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ62-1981-1992-Rear-Mud-Flaps-Splash-Guards-Rock-OEM-Genuine/254397055548?hash=item3b3b3f023c:g:LRsAAOSwIkNcGmNe

edit: the seller was partsroute not partsouq. Sorry.
Yep, the parts route flaps have been on that site for a while. But for rigs with fender flares only. Perhaps worth adding fender flares to get some NOS flaps?
F2AAFC4A-E584-4B59-90C9-FA2769D0FB20.jpeg

Yep, the parts route flaps have been on that site for a while. But for rigs with fender flares only.
Yes, that’s what my plan is (adding flares) and I should have noted that earlier so that I didn’t get anyone’s hope is re: regular flaps. Thank you for adding this (and sorry that I didn’t!).

All good - the fender flares topic is a good one - trucks looks great with them but there seems to be a variety of options.

Yes, that’s what my plan is (adding flares) and I should have noted that earlier so that I didn’t get anyone’s hope is re: regular flaps. Thank you for adding this (and sorry that I didn’t!).
curious.. how are you adding fender flares? I'm doing a google search, and lots of pics of various styles, but no clear idea how/where to buy and install instructions.
I have a 1990 FJ62. Thanks.

I used a standard white paint pen that I got from an art store for $3. Get a gold one while you are at it so you can make your rear TOYOTA axle covers bright and beautiful as well.
Do share a pic on cover color! You first. So little places to personalize. I did strip and repaint the ome shocks and thought about getting the emu abstract up close photo sticker, and did put a message in a bottle on my 4x4 actuator housing.

as for the mud guards, I cleaned mine up, someone painted them all sliver the lettering. Took mine to clean rubber. Next to get the scratches and ugly out with some medium grit sand paper, final is fine, heat gun to bring out the petro and presto perfect condition, then rear only white. Doing bumper end caps the same. Rubber rubber is resilient.

2F1C0094-280C-406A-917C-F07537ED6329.jpeg

912F1F52-964D-443A-BE63-C56E68467A03.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom