SOLD 1989 Fj62 in Central Oregon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
SOLD SOLD SOLD
I bought a FJ62 hoping it would satisfy the desire to have an fj60; It didn't. Unfortunately the guy I bought it from didn't know anything about it so I don't have maintenance records. I want to sell it so I can focus my time and money on my FJ55. I am working on fixing some things and will be updating this add as I fix things. The fix it list will shrink as the price grows.

From a rust standpoint it is a great rig. There are a couple bubbles/rust patches here and there but for a cruiser of this age it is extremely low rust based on the rigs I have seen over the past 15+ years of owning Land Cruisers. But like all to many out there, there is some rust/bubbleing over the rear wheel wells, drivers side behind the mud flap, and some on the bottom left corner of the tailgate. It does appear as though part or all of it was painted at some point in the past, the carfax shows a minor accident in 2008 and the vehicle was noted as functional.

It runs and drives well. It has the "power pack" with the power mirrors. It also has what appears to be a cruise control system in it and I do not know if that functions. It was converted to R134 at some point and blows cold. Occasionally shortly after startup the CEL will come on momentarily and the immediately go back off.

175K miles

Fix it list:
The front axle needs seals done
It needs new tires
The headlight surround on the right side has pealing chrome
The carpet is dirty
The carpet is missing off of the tailgate
The drives seat has the standard cruiser tear on the seat bottom near the edge by the door
With prices all over the place these things are really hard to figure out so feel free to make me an offer if you are serious and HAVE the $.
SOLD

I would consider trading towards a FJ60. lx450(stock), FJ Criuser(2010+ 6MT in white, tan, or black), UZJ100(no lx470), VDJ200/LX570, Tundra. I miss something small and fast so would also consider little quick cars like a G37, MR2, TT, 86, RX8, SC430.... I have cash to add and the wife's approval for any trade.

I had someone request to see all the blemishes and pictures of the undercarriage. I can get pictures of anything additional you may want, just ask. I did notice that there are some pictures that have reflections of my white motorcycle cover and the bottles on the shelf in my garage because the paint is shiny. There is also a picture showing all of the parts for the rear suspension ready to be installed. I got the front done and then we found a house we liked and are moving and I have not had time to get back out to the shop to install the rear suspension.

1989 FJ62 Rust and dents

Here is an older picture set before the front suspension was installed and before I did some body cleanup. I have cleaned up some of the exterior with wire brush and rust converter to encapsulate much of minor rust and exposed metal from the previous owner's minor body work. This was done as a preventative with the intention of going back later myself or by the new owner to do a better job if desired.

1989 FJ62

Last edited:
Looks like a nice project platform....just need to put some stock wheels on there and I think it will look a lot better. There is something about those wheels that seems to detract from this rig. GLWS....I'm surprised it hasn't gone already

I have the stock wheels but no pics with them on. I just need to wash them and get them on. They have the stock size tires on them so it looks weird to me with those tiny tires.
I have also gotten several inquiries asking if it will pass a smog test and I simply don't know. To the best of my knowledge it has all of the smog equipment but Oregon DEQ only has smog testing in the cities of Medford and Portland. Portland and Medford are each around a 3 1/2 hour drive from me(Oregon is a big state and I am way out in the high desert). So for me to have it tested is 7 hours on the road round trip plus test time. I called around to 3 shops in the area and they said they don't have the test equipment or know the California standards. I would gladly take it to any local shop for folks to have it checked out but it doesn't sound like that would get the CA guys the test results they are looking for.
Another contributing factor is that I ordered a full Ironman suspension from Metal Tech on their black Friday sale and it still has not arrived. I had planned to install it and sell it then but I just didn't think ever envision it would take this long to get here. At this point I am thinking of selling it as is and ask MT for a refund so that potential buyers can get it cheaper and then get whatever they like and my garage is empty sooner so I can get my FJ55 in there.
A member told me privately that this classified section here doesn't move these rigs too fast and that if I really want it sold I should deal with the jokers on Craigslist or try to get it on bring a trailer or ebay. I have been waiting to get the genuine Toyota e-brake parts and get the e-brake working properly before I list it to a wider audience. The parts arrived this weekend and I am installing them today. I have dropped the price here hoping to get it out of my garage without getting any headaches from CL folks but the disappointing truth is several of the people that have contacted me from this community have behaved no better than those found on the wider internet.

Will you get some new pics up once the e-brake is complete and with the stock wheels? Undercarriage, roof, rust bubbles. A-pillars etc. I'm interested but I would like to see more. Thanks!

So somebody please help this old fool. I’m lookin for more pics but cannot find theme are there more?

We are getting ready to sell our house and I have to many rigs and too little time. This one has just been sitting is storage and driven seldome. I will get some pics up ASAP.
All the parts are in and I have the new suspension installed in the front but not in the back yet.

So back on the market for this rig!

I have added links in the first posting to 2 picture galleries that show the issues as they are today and an older gallery one with more pictures.

Most of my bad experiences are from what I call virtual rubbernecking. You know, the guys that hop into a classified add with something to say but have absolutely NO intention of buying the vehicle they are commenting about!
There are plenty of water cooler sections of this website for folks to gather around. There are technical sections of this forum and a dedicated chit chat section of this very forum for idle conversation. The classified section should be for buyers and sellers.
Sometimes they don't even have a weak sauce excuse for why they aren't buying it like; if only my wife..., if only it was red, it looks like that 39 year old vehicle needs more maintenance the I want to do to a vehicle, if only........
Sometimes they have a benign questions thrown in just so it looks like they maybe have an interest in buying this vehicle if just.....
Sometimes they even PM you back and forth with 17 questions before spring the coup detat, that sounds great but; I only have $4 and 87 cents to my name, I am only 14, I live in Madagascar, I don't like getting my hands dirty, I am senile and they wont let me drive anymore, or ..............................

But I digress!

To get to your question:
They are the ironman "performance" springs for the 60 with the foam cell shock absorbers. They are approximately 2" of lift but I believe all the 60 lifts from ironman are 50mm. They do come in "comfort", "performance", and "constant". These are the performance option.
You can better familiarize yourself with their products at their website here:

Last edited:
Sorry, man, I fall into that category, then (though I was interested in info on the lift, so thanks for that).

Think about it this way, though: anybody commenting on your post also brings it to the top. At least my rubbernecking isn’t in PMs.

It looks like a solid truck at a good price to me. I’ll spare the excuses.

Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate it. Thanks for the bump.
Sorry if I seemed a little reactionary, I have little spare time and several people contact me and then not follow through, including a clown early this morning that had contacted me a few times and set an appointment to come look at it first thing today and then backed out at the very last minute because it wasn't a red one! I told him he could jsut paint it or get a vehicle wrap but I am guessing he didn't really intend to buy it regardless of the color.
I got the front installed before we made an offer on our new house that we are moving to next weekend. I needed to finish up a lot of little projects around the house like updating 2 bathrooms, etc, before we listed our house. I am burning the candle at both ends. We are now under contract with buyers for our house so I am taking a few big gulps of air before next week when we get the inspection back on the house we are selling and start moving everything into the new house.
The house we are buying has a big shop with a lift, a dream of mine, and as soon as I can get all the boxes out of the shop I will take this rig off the market to finish the body touch up and the suspension if it hasn't sold. I have a 60 front clip and I have toyed with the idea of swapping it for the round headlights, a 5 speed swap, and a vehicle wrap in a cool color and keeping it. I still have a GX, fj55, diesel 80, and a samurai so I really don't know that I would drive it much so it probably makes more sense to sell it now and focus my time and $ on the 55 and 80 despite my love of the 60s. I do have a life outside of cruisers and it has never been my life's ambition to run a land cruiser museum so I need to thin the herd.

With regard to the ironman performance suspension:
I only got the front swapped out before the housing stuff kicked off and all I can say is that it is night and day difference from before with just the front swapped. The front that was under this rig was really saggy and the shocks didn't look original but were old. I have ridden in a 60 with a OME heavy and found it somewhat harsh but better than 30 year old components. The OME heavy was not nearly as nice as this one so I am very happy with it. I think getting the back swapped will make it even better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom