1989 fj62 hasn't been started in 2yrs - need ADVICE!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Calling all fj60 and fj62 WIZARDS!! For some advice.

I'm purchasing a 1989 fj62 that has not been started in the last 2 yrs. I have experience working on old broncos and cj's, but I'm not a pro, so if any of you read this post and could leave me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!!

What I was told about the cruiser:
Current owner has had it for ~18 years -- claims he stopped driving it 2yrs ago, after noticing small oil leak at the RMS. Claims the cruiser has not been driven since.
Owner claims 90% of maintenance and replacement parts over the years are OEM parts. -- owner worked for Toyota for many years.
Claims motor was running perfectly until the day he decided not to drive it again.
Hasn't run it since.

What I know:
300k miles on original motor
AT with EFI
Frame, underbody and exterior are in pretty damn good condition.
Nearly zero rust on car, not even on the tailgate, rockers, door posts, fenders, etc.
Zero rust on frame
Due to the dry heat where the cruiser has lived, and the 50+ photos he sent me, this fj appears to have been naturally preserved.

My plan once it's transported and arrives:
  • Oil & filter change - obviously!!
  • Flush trans fluid
  • Install a new battery
  • Flush the radiator & replace coolants
  • Replace the brake fluid
  • Add new power steering fluid
  • Flush old gas and replace w/ new
  • Inspect and rebuild fuel pump if necessary
  • Inspect fan belt and replace if necessary
  • Wait and check for leaks
Is there anything else you guys would recommend? Like remotely hiring a mechanic to go and try to verify he engine can turn at least, and/or ensure the pistons aren’t seized in the cylinders, or possible valve issues?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the crazy long post!!

I'm purchasing a 1989 fj62 that has not been started in the last 2 yrs. I have experience working on old broncos and cj's, but I'm not a pro, so if any of you read this post and could leave me some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Current owner has had it for ~18 years -- claims he stopped driving it 2yrs ago, after noticing small oil leak at the RMS. Claims the cruiser has not been driven since.
Owner claims 90% of maintenance and replacement parts over the years are OEM parts. -- owner worked for Toyota for many years.
Claims motor was running perfectly until the day he decided not to drive it again.
Hasn't run it since.

What I know:
AT with EFI
Nearly zero rust on car, not even on the tailgate, rockers, door posts, fenders, etc.
Zero rust on frame
Due to the dry heat where the cruiser has lived, and the 50+ photos he sent me, this fj appears to have been naturally preserved.

• Flush trans fluid
  • Install a new battery
Is there anything else you guys would recommend? Like remotely hiring a mechanic to go and try to verify he engine can turn at least, and/or ensure the pistons aren’t seized in the cylinders, or possible valve issues?

Welcome! There’s a thread around here about approaching a vehicle that’s been sitting for an unspecified time. Check out the FAQ under stickies at the top of the page. Since you’re after a 62, you’d be wise to do some research on transmission coolers and some of the other transmission gremlins. You’ll also likely want to adjust or at least check your valve clearances and timing. New spark plugs and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If you’re planning on flushing the power steering, make sure you refill with ATF as the PS pumps don’t use power steering fluid. Definitely throw a new fuel filter on.

If you can get it checked out before purchasing, do it. Maybe I’m mistaken but 2 years, while a long time, isn’t as crazy as some that have been resurrected. If you’re mechanically inclined (and close-ish) to the vehicle, it’d probably be worth checking out in person and doing all that stuff in a parking garage and just driving it home. Or ship it, but I wouldn’t want someone delivering a turd that I wasn’t prepared to polish.

I’m sure others will chime in here with better advice than I can give.

Last edited:
Claims motor was running perfectly until the day he decided not to drive it again
Did he suddenly become a quadriplegic?
If not, everything this guys says is suspect.
Go into this deal assuming it's a POS that needs a new engine unless he can prove otherwise and make your offer accordingly.
You're going to put a ton of money into this thing. You can do it when you buy it Or after you buy it, but you don't want it to be both.

Did he suddenly become a quadriplegic?
If not, everything this guys says is suspect.
Go into this deal assuming it's a POS that needs a new engine unless he can prove otherwise and make your offer accordingly.
You're going to put a ton of money into this thing. You can do it when you buy it Or after you buy it, but you don't want it to be both.
Yea I hear ya, I spoke to him at length. According to seller, he's about 70yo, and had a heart attack followed by a car accident that left him disabled 1.5yrs ago, otherwise he wouldn't be parting with it.

The pics he sent were all very clean, but that doesn't mean anything regarding the motor.

But I agree going into any deal with your eyes wide open and assuming the worst case scenario. I'm gonna hire a local mechanic to go to the cruiser and try to hand crank the engine and check the vehicle over, as thoroughly as possible.

Lastly, I got it for a pretty reasonable price, considering the average price tag on cruisers these days.

The engine will likely need to be rebuilt or replaced in the next 100,000 miles.

Welcome! There’s a thread around here about approaching a vehicle that’s been sitting for an unspecified time. Check out the FAQ under stickies at the top of the page. Since you’re after a 62, you’d be wise to do some research on transmission coolers and some of the other transmission gremlins. You’ll also likely want to adjust or at least check your valve clearances and timing. New spark plugs and plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If you’re planning on flushing the power steering, make sure you refill with ATF as the PS pumps don’t use power steering fluid. Definitely throw a new fuel filter on.

If you can get it checked out before purchasing, do it. Maybe I’m mistaken but 2 years, while a long time, isn’t as crazy as some that have been resurrected. If you’re mechanically inclined (and close-ish) to the vehicle, it’d probably be worth checking out in person and doing all that stuff in a parking garage and just driving it home. Or ship it, but I wouldn’t want someone delivering a turd that I wasn’t prepared to polish.

I’m sure others will chime in here with better advice than I can give.
@mtbrown619 thanks, I'm stoked to finally have a cruiser! and I appreciate your feedback/advice. Unfortunately I'm not close to the vehicle, It's in the desert and I'm on the east coast (~2500 mi away), for that reason I'm having it shipped. Although a long road trip would be pretty cool in a reliable rig.

The seller agreed to let a local mechanic come out and try and turn the engine over and check for issues. I agree with @OSS -- the motor will need some real attention soon enough. Thanks for the heads on the PS pump. Cheers 🍻

You can start by posting some pics lol. Not a fan of the sight/unseen deals. But probably just worth the gamble for the perfect non rusted rig. Good luck

Hasn't run it since.

What I know:
AT with EFI
Zero rust on frame

• Flush trans fluid
  • Install a new battery

Don't overthink this. I wouldn’t waste the cost of any of those fluids and materials on a potential junk motor. Make sure there’s oil in it and drop in a battery.

Considering ^^^this comment above, do a compression test before you spend any other money. Good compression on all 6 cylinders (assume it is a stock motor) will mean the rest can be worked out w/out rebuilding the motor.

Assuming you have a stock PS pump...don't put power steering fluid in it. They take ATF.

Draining the fuel and replacing is good. But are you going to do this before you buy it to verify the drive train?

Don't plan on driving this across county immediately after purchase. Tow it home and work out the issues on close to home short trips.

Automatic transmission can and do leak at the input seal after sitting that long. Consider you may have to replace it. Also consider firing this engine up and driving around the block to make sure the transmission is working. The cost of rebuilding a transmission can total old vehicles. Of course if this truck is as nice as you say it may be worth 2 or 3x the cost of rebuilding. But you have to know it works or it doesn't to factor the value of your purchase.

Replacing the fluids is good idea. Esp the oil and the coolant. After you verify compression.

FYI an "fj" is an FJ Cruiser. So let's not call it that. Call it a 62 or a 60 series. Or your baby.

Before you crank the engine for any reason - it's never a bad idea to pull the plug and put 2 tsp of ATF in each cylinder and let it sit for a bit. Put a towel over all the plug holes to prevent a mess, and then crank the engine for 10-15 second. If it cranks freely, reinstall the plugs and see if it starts.

Doing this allows the engine to rotate under no strain and perhaps bring up some oil pressure. It also verifies that it will turn over at all.

Considering ^^^this comment above, do a compression test before you spend any other money. Good compression on all 6 cylinders (assume it is a stock motor) will mean the rest can be worked out w/out rebuilding the motor.

Assuming you have a stock PS pump...don't put power steering fluid in it. They take ATF.

Draining the fuel and replacing is good. But are you going to do this before you buy it to verify the drive train?

Don't plan on driving this across county immediately after purchase. Tow it home and work out the issues on close to home short trips.

Automatic transmission can and do leak at the input seal after sitting that long. Consider you may have to replace it. Also consider firing this engine up and driving around the block to make sure the transmission is working. The cost of rebuilding a transmission can total old vehicles. Of course if this truck is as nice as you say it may be worth 2 or 3x the cost of rebuilding. But you have to know it works or it doesn't to factor the value of your purchase.

Replacing the fluids is good idea. Esp the oil and the coolant. After you verify compression.

FYI an "fj" is an FJ Cruiser. So let's not call it that. Call it a 62 or a 60 series. Or your baby.
@g-man Solid advice on all fronts! I'll confirm the ps pump is stock once I get my hands on it. Looking forward to learning more about these old rigs. Thx again for your feedback

If you have a boroscope you might pull the plugs and have a look at the inside of the cylinders to make sure the walls look clean and no signs of corrosion. A truck in a dry climate probably wont have any issues but some parts of the world it can be an issue if water manages to get in through vents or leaks etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom