1989 FJ62 gas smell interior after fill up… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
So starts with a gas smell inside the truck only for some time after fill ups, no smell outside the rig…

I read a bunch of threads and lots of stuff said to check the vent lines, check for pinholes, etc etc…

But here’s another symptom that may contribute to this, they may make the smell make more sense, correct me if I’m wrong, because the gas smell definitely goes away with time, more than miles…

When I fill up, EVERY TIME, the gas spits out at me if I’m not super careful with my ears, listening for the gas filling up… I’m thinking that when it spits, some liquid gas is flowing down the vent line on the metal filler hose, and then weeping through that one rubber vent line on passenger rear quarter panel.

So finally my question… what can I do to make the gas not spit during fill ups? Besides just be careful?

I’ll replace the vent line or at least tighten the clamps, I think the hose looks fine or has been replaced.

The tank shouldn’t spit (or barf) gasoline out of the fill neck no matter how fast you fill it.
Your tank isn’t breathing properly. A vent line somewhere is clogged.
As a test, disconnect the TANK vent hose from the charcoal canister before you fill up next time. See what happens.

Gasoline fumes inside the cab are usually leaking vent hose connectors on the vapor separator behind the passenger rear panel.

Mine will spit out gas sometimes too. If I push the gas nozzle in all the way it never spits it out. And I never top it off when the gas pump shuts off. That said when it does spit out the gas, it goes down the inside of the fender inside the vehicle because the gas port is connected to the main body and the seam below the fill up between the body panel and the gas insert will drizzle everything into the inner fender well. This is also how water enters the area. Make sure your rubber plug is taken out on the bottom of the fender to drain any accumulated water. One can recaulk it. If you repaint it gets taken care of then. Otherwise at 35 years old the seam is open.

Here is the seam on my rig. You can see gas has sat there in the past and found its way inside due to bad gas cap. Also my venting isn’t always working as the paint is worn below gas fill up. The vent canisters go bad on all these rigs. I have blown mine out several times and switched lines around.

E224E1FF-BB71-428A-B5EE-C94234780197.jpeg

025543CE-FF3A-4E7D-8768-A022EF4F173C.jpeg

I’ve got this exact same issue in my ‘88.

It seems dependent upon where the nozzle is placed when filling. If placed perfectly, a stream of gas flows into the rear fender area, leaks and stinks. Happens about 10% of the time.

Problem is in Oregon they pump for you…

I've been having the same thing happen on my 62 for the last 6-8 months or so and got annoyed with it enough (my girlfriend complained :lol:) to look into it... I pulled the interior panel and everything seems fine in there. I'm thinking my gas cap is super old (I have never replaced it that I can remember and the packing between the filler neck and body is bad? I stuck my head up under the 1/4 when filling and it kind of smells gassy there too, planning to install on of my vent hose kits in there.

One thing I have seen before is a liquid/vapor separator in the 1/4 panel get broken. inspect it carefully.

I do have a complete kit for the exterior vent hoses, but not the interior ones.

I've been having the same thing happen on my 62 for the last 6-8 months or so and got annoyed with it enough (my girlfriend complained :lol:) to look into it... I pulled the interior panel and everything seems fine in there. I'm thinking my gas cap is super old (I have never replaced it that I can remember and the packing between the filler neck and body is bad? I stuck my head up under the 1/4 when filling and it kind of smells gassy there too, planning to install on of my vent hose kits in there.

One thing I have seen before is a liquid/vapor separator in the 1/4 panel get broken. inspect it carefully.

I do have a complete kit for the exterior vent hoses, but not the interior ones.
I’ll keep you posted

Biden says buy an electric car. They don't spit those nasty fumes. Who cares if the batteries end up in the dump
There’ll be a time for electric cars but there’s gonna have to be some intense infrastructure improvements to support em… for now, the 62 is fine with me

Here is the seam on my rig. You can see gas has sat there in the past and found its way inside due to bad gas cap. Also my venting isn’t always working as the paint is worn below gas fill up. The vent canisters go bad on all these rigs. I have blown mine out several times and switched lines around.

View attachment 3185243

View attachment 3185244
Drill a small hole through your gas cap.

I dropped my tank, installed a new fuel pump, float and new lines this past summer. I also got a new cap, like the one you've got. My old cap was vented.
Anyway, after all of that work (and making sure that everything was properly cleaned), I started to get fumes in my truck after fill-ups. They lingered.

Somewhere here on MUD, I'm sorry, I can't recall, some helpful member recommended venting the gas cap by drilling a hole through it.

It might be some witchery, or coincidence, but I haven't had had gas fumes in my truck since I vented the cap.

Hello! I had this same issue on my 89 FJ62. Swapped out the gas cap, the seal for the sending unit, checked the PCV valve and grommet.
One day after work, i was filling up at a Wawa and noticed that strong small of gas stopped the pump. While Inspecting, I opened the rear interior panel and noticed it was soaked with gas. I started the gas pump once again and noticed a pin hole that was spraying gas all over my rear panel. Took some degreaser and a little sand paper; cleaned up the spots and patched with Epoxi.
Gas smell be Gone! Wife happy & kiddos even happier. The cruiser is their favorite ride…

Hello! I had this same issue on my 89 FJ62. Swapped out the gas cap, the seal for the sending unit, checked the PCV valve and grommet.
One day after work, i was filling up at a Wawa and noticed that strong small of gas stopped the pump. While Inspecting, I opened the rear interior panel and noticed it was soaked with gas. I started the gas pump once again and noticed a pin hole that was spraying gas all over my rear panel. Took some degreaser and a little sand paper; cleaned up the spots and patched with Epoxi.
Gas smell be Gone! Wife happy & kiddos even happier. The cruiser is their favorite ride…

pinhole in what, the steel filler neck?

If the gas tank is filled to the top (don’t do that- but a gas attendant might) and the gas cap has a small hole drilled into it for venting — a siphon can set up after pulling away from the gas station - and liquid gasoline can gush out of the charcoal canister drain hole until enough gas drains out. It can take quite a while to break the siphon.
Pretty embarrassing (and dangerous) until it does.

As usual, I’m being nitpicky and sniffing around for any source of gas smell. It’s noticeable right around the separator. Need to investigate more. The hoses all look and feel great, so maybe the plastic separator just starts stinking after years of doing its job or maybe there’s a small crack. That being said, I never have a strong gas smell inside the truck, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom