1989 FJ62-Fuel Leaking, right rear passenger panel and raw fuel smell in cabin- 10 yr old mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some insights to figure this fuel leak out.

Problem: Visible fuel leak coming from the right rear passenger panel- when driving you can smell fuel in cabin and around the rig. Also you can see fuel dripping fast on full tank, slower on 1/2 and almost nothing on 1/4 tank. Fuel leaks out rear passenger panel- and also can see on the right rear mud flap.

History: I am the third owner, FO- had vehicle for 28 yrs and tons of service history. Sold in 2016 to PO at 109K miles. PO owner drive less than 4K miles in 4 yrs. Car today as 113K original miles and is in tip top shape excluding the fuel leak. Tons of documented service history/maintenance accessible
Upon searching the service history: 1992 fuel tank recall performed. No issues.
2011- the FO broke down, ran out of fuel and towed into Toyota dealership. At this time they performed the following: Fuel pump replaced, fuel pump bracket replaced and flexible fuel line replaced.
2012-2016. Every time the rig was in a Toyota shop the FO complained of a fuel leak/smell in the cabin of the rig. Each record shows that the Toyota mechanic checked for visible leaks and smell and states could not find any.
PO- was told all of this and was of the opinion that it was just a FJ62 thing???

Trouble shooting thus far: Replaced gas cap with another OEM gas cap. Did not work.

Help? since the fuel pump change- the rig has obviously had some sort of fuel leak

thanks in advance for your input

Sounds like you have a leak in or around your filler neck and the vapors are likely then coming into the cabin. There is just a trim panel covering the back of the cargo area over the well that the filler tube runs through. You clearly have a visible leak now and even if you didn't see wet fuel it only takes a tiny little hole to vent fumes that are detectable inside the truck. I'd be looking over all the hoses and filler pipe between the tank and the fuel cap.

Sounds like you have a leak in or around your filler neck and the vapors are likely then coming into the cabin. There is just a trim panel covering the back of the cargo area over the well that the filler tube runs through. You clearly have a visible leak now and even if you didn't see wet fuel it only takes a tiny little hole to vent fumes that are detectable inside the truck. I'd be looking over all the hoses and filler pipe between the tank and the fuel cap.
Thanks Seth.. parts are on the way! Will let you know what we (my mechanic and I) discover. Appreciate the feedback.
Crazy that at least 8 times since the fuel pump change- the FO complained of gas smell and 3 Toyota dealerships service departments could not find it?

Ah. FO is Former Owner 😀. Used to PO = Previous Owner 😂

LOL.. I think I labeled a new term. FO- first owner. PO- previous owner. LOL.. Hell with a 32 yr old ride we can get real creative on those that are owned by 5+! LOL

LOL.. I think I labeled a new term. FO- first owner. PO- previous owner. LOL.. Hell with a 32 yr old ride we can get real creative on those that are owned by 5+! LOL

Update? Could be a detached vent hose. One of the vent nipples broke on mine, which lead to a leak. No doubt you're removed skid plate covering these lines for inspection?

This might seem silly, but when I lived in Oregon the gas attendants never seemed to be able to properly close the gas cap. Led to a lot of gas fumes and me trying to chase down a leak somewhere to no avail. Sometimes you can start the thread so that the cap stays on, but where you started turning is off by a bit so it doesn't actually seal properly. Worth a shot!

Fuel is amazingly volatile and even the smallest leak will lead to a smell. Many moons ago I worked as a VW/Audi tech (so glad thats not my life now) and one day a VW Eurocamper came in complaining of a fuel smell. This was mid 90's and it was a brand new camper that had been a factory conversion and had almost no miles on it. I had the entire fuel system in an out several times looking for the culprit. In the end we found a perfectly clean 1/8" diameter hole that had been drilled in the filler neck. Turns out when they did the camper conversion they drilled the inside for a trim piece and went right into the filler neck. We warranteed the gas tank and it only took like 2 months to get a new one from Germany. At the time I was 19 and my suggestion was to take a tank out of one of the new vans we on the lot and get the customer under way...but the service lead thought this was a foolish idea and instead that van sat on my lift for 8 weeks until a tank arrived. I am sure VW lost a customer with that debacle.

UPDATE:
First thank you all for the input and insights. My mechanic found pinholes in the Fuel U-Connect and Separator Sub-assembly valve. Specter Off-Road came through in the clutch with quality used OEM replacement parts (as these parts are no longer available from Toyota) to fix the leak and fuel smell. While he has it in the shop, getting some minor issues addressed. Hope to pick up today and confirm that the 10 yr old gas smell is once and for all GONE!

I'll be darned. I thought those things were indestructible. Well, that should do it I guess.

Confirmed- picked her up today and Ella no longer smells like a leaking gas can! Appreciate the help and want to give high praise for Specter Off-road coming through with used quality parts to repair. Outstanding customer service- actually put one of their mechanics on the phone and he told us that we should be safe and also get the Fuel U-Connect as well as the Fuel Separator (which is what we thought is was only)- he was spot on! They both were shot with pin holes.

Fuel U connect (the nipple thing?) is exposed to elements. Mine was definitely shot. I scored both of those used parts of a FJ60 some guy was junking. Fuel separator is slightly different on FJ60 to FJ62, for what that's worth.

Confirmed- picked her up today and Ella no longer smells like a leaking gas can! Appreciate the help and want to give high praise for Specter Off-road coming through with used quality parts to repair. Outstanding customer service- actually put one of their mechanics on the phone and he told us that we should be safe and also get the Fuel U-Connect as well as the Fuel Separator (which is what we thought is was only)- he was spot on! They both were shot with pin holes.
You wouldn't happen to have any SOR part numbers? Or a contact person? I'm in So Cal, and not terribly far from SOR. I might be heading up there for some car seat refurb supplies. I reading through every single one of these FJ62 cabin fuel smell posts, and am feeling pretty focused on the likely problem site. Thanks!! -J.

I just checked and unfortunately I do not. It was a fuel seperator-and associated fuel lines that had very small pin holes. Check out Fuel- gas tank. The diagram will show you. Good luck!

I just checked and unfortunately I do not. It was a fuel seperator-and associated fuel lines that had very small pin holes. Check out Fuel- gas tank. The diagram will show you. Good luck!
I did manage to find them on SOR.. pricey for used parts... but that's land cruiser life. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom