1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 FJ 62 Transmission Problems

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by chepack, Feb 24, 2007.

1. chepack

chepack

Please help. I just bought a 1989 FJ 62 with automatic transmission and really know very little about them. I am in the Salem, OR area.

I was entering the freeway tonight and was accelerating to match traffic when I heard a persistent whinning sound. When I got to my exit and stopped at the light the sound stopped. I shifted to neutral and revved the engine and it started up getting the stronger the more I accelerated. When I pulled out from the stop light my RPM's spiked and the vehicle would not shift out of what I think was first gear. I slowed down and started to accelerate again this time at a slower pace and it shifted fine. From that point til I parked it after every stop if I tried to accelerate normal it would spike the RPM's and wouldn't shift, only after accelerating slowly would it work. When I got to the house and put it in reverse to park it took several seconds to actually enter reverse and then it did so with a mild pop.

I checked the transmission fluid and the levels are fine. What should I do next? Does anyone have any recommendations for a tranny shop in the Salem, OR region? Any help would be appreciated.

chepack@hotmail.com

2. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Hang tight and a Moderator will move this to the 60's section.

3. extremetoy1

extremetoy1

u got me...... maybe post this in the 60s section so they can help you, (MORE EXP. WITH YOUR MODEL IN THAT SECTION)your in the 80s section-though not quite as good as an 80 a 60 will do;)

edit... beat me to the moderator moving it

4. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    smell your tranny fluid to see if its got a burnt smell.but it sounds like you need to change your tranny filter and fluid.you can have this happen when your filter is clogged.not always the case but very possible:beer:

5. CJF

CJF

Stripped tranny output shaft would be my guess.

But yeah, needs more discussion and diagnosis, probably in the 60's section (even though it's the same tranny from 88-92).

Hang in there,

Curtis

6. chepack

chepack

Thanks

Thanks for the help, I just posted in the 60's section. Rookie mistake I guess.