1989 BJ74 - Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi -- I'm looking at buying a JDM BJ74, 5 speed, grey, no rust, excellent condition, but 212,000 km's. Price is CAD $6400 delivered to my door.

Considering it is nearly impossible to find comparable trucks for sale, is this a good price? I was also looking at gas 80's, but this is a nice looking 74. Front and rear bumpers have been replaced with after-market ones. Still checking to see if it has factory lockers.

Thoughts?

High mileage bj74

If it's mechanically fine, I'd say that's a great deal.

$6400 to your door sounds like a good deal to me but don't expect a rust free unit though...

6400$ for a JDM BJ74….

Is there a snake under the rock ?

Good deal… but be careful

Check it over well, make sure its a bj74, some people are trying to pass off BJ73's as bj74 around here.

I suspect that if the truck has had no work done ot it then you will be looking at a few thousand to get it up to standards. Check around the turbo for oil leaking, check for good power on the road. At over 200K kms, you might be looking at clutch and mster and slave cyl, turbo rebuild eventually, steering components, brakes, vacumm system, starter and alt work, make sure all these items are ok as they add up to big bucks in a short period of time.

Good luck - and send pics please.

It is still in Japan, but I know this guy so he'll check it out. Here are the pics, note the spare is missing and it looks lifted. Front grill seems changed...hmmm. Not sure if that rear aftermarket bumper will pass inspection...

More thoughts? I do appreciate the feedback -- it is a bit of money sight unseen:
land1.jpg
land2.jpg
land3.jpg

no lockers
repaint
no tire carrier rear
FRP repainted
extended shackels (might have road wander)
needs new tires
might have a FF rear with limited slip
no rear bumper (that is the frame you are looking at.
looks like good size dent rear quarter LHS but might be light reflection.
get him to send you the auction sheet and we can decifer it for you... looks like a wheeling rig

probaby a good truck for the money but don't expect quick shipping...

Hhmm...no shot of the engine bay. Not only is it missing the usual "TURBO" stickers on the side doors, but the rear door also says "LX" instead of "LX TURBO". Guys may be right...might be a BJ73. But...it would still be a great deal as the body seems to be in great shape...and if the drivetrain is also in good shape, then that price delivered to your door would be a bargain if you are looking for a diesel Cruiser.

Oh yeah...and the rear bumper is missing altogether. :D That looks like the rear crossmember that the pintle hook is mounted to.

Good luck. Nice looking rig. :beer:

Excellent price if the condition is right, but it sounds like you will be responsible for the provincial inspection etc. Good thing about the BJ70 is that you can get tail lights with the neccessary DOT/SAE markings.

Be aware that replacement steering wheels are one sign of a clocked vehicle. You might want to get a stock one put on before the truck is shipped.

If you want a spare mount for the back door, roof rack, back bumper, winch etc. all those can be got more cheaply used in Japan.

If the seller/vehicle is in Hokkaido, or north of Tokyo, you should be concerned about rust, particularly in Hokkaido.

Wow thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate it. I want my first foray into a cruiser to be a positive one. From the comments here, I think I will pass. Just too many issues and mods on this one. I want to buy direct from Japan as I only have $8k cash to play with. I can wait for shipping, not a prob.

I would not be frightened by that mileage.

However, be prepared for the possibility of spending thousands above purchase on your own, fixing all the little things and doing maintanence that the higher end importers already cover. That said you might get lucky and bring one over that needs very little work.

The rear lights do not need changing. They are stamped. You will have to do headlights.

hth's

gb

Every case if different.
Might not have to put a penny in on break downs for 5 years, or the motor could blow in a month.
You are looking at a used truck. Things can happen.

But since I got my truck (got it with 127,000km confirmed)
I had to do the starter, turbo, rear brakes (ontop of regular maintance).
My shocks are also on the way out.

Lots of it depends on how the previous owner took care of it. Mine was babied. I was super clean, and I don't think ever offroad. But the guy still must of did lots of short trip because I had to do a turbo AND starter.

Cheers,
Nick

Thanks for the info. Did you do the BEB's as well? I'm shying away from the diesel 80 for that reason. I can't replace them myself, and assume it would be some serious bucks to get someone to do them. A turbo rebuild does not sound fun either.

nickw said:
Every case if different.
Might not have to put a penny in on break downs for 5 years, or the motor could blow in a month.
You are looking at a used truck. Things can happen.

But since I got my truck (got it with 127,000km confirmed)
I had to do the starter, turbo, rear brakes (ontop of regular maintance).
My shocks are also on the way out.

Lots of it depends on how the previous owner took care of it. Mine was babied. I was super clean, and I don't think ever offroad. But the guy still must of did lots of short trip because I had to do a turbo AND starter.

Cheers,
Nick

onlytoyota said:
Thanks for the info. Did you do the BEB's as well? I'm shying away from the diesel 80 for that reason. I can't replace them myself, and assume it would be some serious bucks to get someone to do them. A turbo rebuild does not sound fun either.

My BEB where done my my importer.
The BEB themselves are aboout $40-65, depending on where you get them.

Some people on the board have done them themselves. I think they said it takes about 2.5 hours. But to be honest I can't rememeber. And good diesel mechanic should be able to do them.

Can't imagine the total bill being more than $300

Cheers,
Nick

onlytoyota said:
I note the spare is missing and it looks lifted. Front grill seems changed...hmmm. :

It has a later 90- onwards grill fitted.
It looks good and probabaly wont be rusted out. As Ishobie said it may need a few thousand to get it up to scratch but much of it will items that are within the capabilities of the average backyard mechanic.
Good luck with it and keep us informed.

nickw said:
Wayne.
How many hours does it take?
Do you do anything else why you are in there?
this is the bill i get from ProActive here in town. they charge just short of $100 per hour, so $65 for bearings, 11 litres of oil and filter, about 5 hours... i would guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom