SOLD 1989 BJ74 13B-T 5spd Manual with factory lockers and EMU Arb suspension - Smithers, BC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 70 Series
Mileage
Color
Gray
I'm torn but it seems it is time to sell my 1989 BJ74 to give it the life it deserves.

Here is the story: I purchased the BJ74 in 2005 via Outback Imports. I purchased it with 69 K on the odometer.
It now has 274865 Kilometres. It has the 13B-T motor, 5 speed manual, Factory Lockers and recent EMU Arb suspension.
It was my 100 km daily driver on the hwy till 2013, after that my fishing/recreation vehicle.

In Dec, 2019 tragedy struck as my oil line between the oil pump and fuel pump failed resulting in a spun bearing on rod journal 1. I have twice attempted to repair the crankshaft journal from below but alas this is not sufficient to bring the journal dimensions into spec. The crankshaft needs to be properly machined and that mean pulling the engine, removing the crankshaft, machining correctly and putting it all back together. We have no one in Smithers, BC whom can machine anymore and i don't have the skills to put the engine back together.

I changed all the bearings and It is running fine BUT there is aluminum particles in the new oil from journal 1, telling me my efforts are not working and the engine must be removed and have the crankshaft machined properly by a shop. That is a big job that I am not prepared to start without the right person and experience.

The vehicle runs fine, doesn't blow smoke and is extremely capable and has served me well for 15 years. I think it has a lot of life left in it if it gets the crankshaft re-machined. Its worse attribute is skin cancer rust on the body. I am told by a mechanic the frame is fine. I had just changed out the complete suspension in 2019 with an EMU ARB heavy duty suspension 2" kit.

So what is it worth? $ 5 K Canadian ?? obo? I can't reliably drive it anywhere beyond 200 km without risking spinning the bearing on Journal 1 again. I have not found a mechanic in my town whom will give me a quote as to what it would cost to remove, machine and rebuild the BJ74. And so it is for sale for whom ever is up to make the journey to Smithers and rebuild her.

I am a straight shooter, holding nothing back, I don't see a way forward other than seller her to someone who has the ability to resolve the crankshaft issue. Questions ...Ask away ?

Sincerely,

Barry Watson
Smithers, BC
Canada

BJ74_1989.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4343.JPG

Last edited:
If you are parting out I would be interested in the axles and complete cable locker system. Pls PM me.

If you are parting out I would be interested in the axles and complete cable locker system. Pls PM me.

Take it all! You can fix that 13BT and slap that drivetrain in another rig!

It's only 2,600 miles to Smithers from Dallas :hmm: road trip!

@Steelhead3 This is a tough call. You are basically trying to sell a non-operable rusty cruiser. Now it runs and you can hear it, but as you stated, it needs rebuilt. Rust is pretty bad but tons of good parts, lockers, t-case, tranny, axles, lift kit, winch and tons of interior parts.

It is not my intention to 'Part it Out'. It is a complete vehicle but yes it needs the Crankcase to be re-machined.
I gather their are a ton of rare parts that many on this forum want and could use tomorrow but I am not motivated to spend the time or to make that money, piece meal. Rather I want to sell her as complete to whom ever or find a capable mechanic within 500 km ( I can drive it that far) whom will rebuild the crankshaft for a fare price, what ever that is?

Take it all! You can fix that 13BT and slap that drivetrain in another rig!

It's only 2,600 miles to Smithers from Dallas :hmm: road trip!

@Steelhead3 This is a tough call. You are basically trying to sell a non-operable rusty cruiser. Now it runs and you can hear it, but as you stated, it needs rebuilt. Rust is pretty bad but tons of good parts, lockers, t-case, tranny, axles, lift kit, winch and tons of interior parts.

Yes fare call FJBen, and yes all the above is true, though the rust is limited to the skin. Half the problem is where i live in Northwest British Columbia a long way from anywhere, unless your on a trip to Alaska via Hwy 16. There are no engine rebuilders here. It seems most of the industry has shifted to engine swaps. But I have a cast iron 13B-T and it is not replaceable, But again it needs surgery on the crankcase. Apparently that is very doable with the correct metal machinist equipement. So yes it is a tough call when i can't get a rebuild quote to compare that to selling it outright. The upside is i can sit on it till I get an answer to what it will cost to rebuild vs what is it worth to someone else and choose appropriately.

I feel that this is worth more then 5k canadian , that's about the price of the axles and transmission . This pandemic with limited border crossings might be holding your sale back but if we ever get back to normal I know I would make that road trip to come and pick it up !

Definitely worth more than $5K CDN as it sits with all those parts on it but part of the price has to reflect the trouble the buyer is going through to get it I suppose, especially an American buyer.

Yes fare call FJBen, and yes all the above is true, though the rust is limited to the skin. Half the problem is where i live in Northwest British Columbia a long way from anywhere, unless your on a trip to Alaska via Hwy 16. There are no engine rebuilders here. It seems most of the industry has shifted to engine swaps. But I have a cast iron 13B-T and it is not replaceable, But again it needs surgery on the crankcase. Apparently that is very doable with the correct metal machinist equipement. So yes it is a tough call when i can't get a rebuild quote to compare that to selling it outright. The upside is i can sit on it till I get an answer to what it will cost to rebuild vs what is it worth to someone else and choose appropriately.

Yep, I wouldn't rash sell anything.

I rebuilt my 13BT last year and can tell you my costs if you are interested at all. $5k canadian is peanuts for that rig. If you can pull the engine (which is pretty easy) you pretty much any decent repair shop can rebuild it.

If the engine was run for any length of time with metal in it, the entire thing would have to be taken apart and checked over at a machine shop. Could be looking at a lot of money to rebuild it. And if the crank is compromised beyond repair, try and find a replacement. The last 3B I rebuilt had a cracked crank and it took months to find a donor and there are lots more 3Bs around than 13BTs

Interested, and somewhat local.
604 790 9313

Interested, and somewhat local.
604 790 9313
The total BJ74 is still available. I have settled on $ 6000 K . I have an interested party from Texas but as you can imagine the logistics are very challenging with Covid-19.

I am still wanting to sell the entire vehicle . It can be driven a short distance but trailering needs to be arranged by the purchaser.

Barry

The total BJ74 is still available. I have settled on $ 6000 K . I have an interested party from Texas but as you can imagine the logistics are very challenging with Covid-19.

I am still wanting to sell the entire vehicle . It can be driven a short distance but trailering needs to be arranged by the purchaser.

Barry

Hi I’m interested, your inbox is full. Give me a call if you like 604-793-8232 Jamie

Hi All ... Well I sold my manual 1989 BJ74 with lockers is to 'ey847Cordillera' this October I drove the rig over to a fellow Landcruisers place and it ran well on its last trip.

We transferred the complete Old Man Emu heavy spring suspension onto Kevins 1989 BJ74 automatic rig, so I am pleased with that.

ey847Cordillera has a complete parts vehicle so some of you may be interested to contact him should you be after some rare parts.

Now I am lost in the wilderness without a Landcruiser ... what next ? ... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom