1988 HJ75 Alternator Diagnosing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I've got a 1988 HJ75 2H Trayback Landcruiser that I'm trying to figure out a few things on.

It came from a farm in Western QLD and has been tampered with pretty heavily in terms of "bush fixes". Recently the battery stopped charging and as I was going through the system I saw that it has an externally regulated aftermarket alternator in it. Does anyone know what year 75 series switched to internally regulated alternators? I'm trying to figure out what this vehicle ran from the factory.

I was looking through the FSM and it showed that the changing system with the Internally regulated alternator uses a charge light relay (which my vehicle has) whilst the externally regulated alternator does not. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Either way, I'll be replacing the alternator with an internally regulated one and wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram or any helpful tips to assist me with rewiring it back up. 😊

Appreciate the help!

Hey Guys,

I've got a 1988 HJ75 2H Trayback Landcruiser that I'm trying to figure out a few things on.

It came from a farm in Western QLD and has been tampered with pretty heavily in terms of "bush fixes". Recently the battery stopped charging and as I was going through the system I saw that it has an externally regulated aftermarket alternator in it. Does anyone know what year 75 series switched to internally regulated alternators? I'm trying to figure out what this vehicle ran from the factory.

I was looking through the FSM and it showed that the changing system with the Internally regulated alternator uses a charge light relay (which my vehicle has) whilst the externally regulated alternator does not. Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

Either way, I'll be replacing the alternator with an internally regulated one and wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram or any helpful tips to assist me with rewiring it back up. 😊

Appreciate the help!
Do you mean the charge light relay displays a light which says you are charging? An ebay volt meter would do that, excuse my lack of understanding what the charge light relay does.
On my old bj40 I had an external reg, after a hunt I eventually found one for a 'b' engine. My hj75 2h has an internal, I imagine they changed regs when they moved to parent bore from cylinder liners, around 1985. I could not see why an internally regulated alternator would not work on an engine which had an external reg. However, I usually try to keep engine components relatively stock and original, easiest and most simple.

Good chances your reg is stuffed but the alternator is fine, I have replaced a few regs on alternators and it easily charges the battery again. You can get an external reg from 'tojo' parts folks for a 2h. Handy to have an auto sparky mate with a bench tester or you can jig up an electric drill and pulley, belt to spin the alternator to see if it charges. (cover the rear pump with a rag or you get oil everywhere).

May as well do the bushes too, I got cheap spare regs and bushes from 'spareto', fits a mitsubishi, like $10 for a reg. I'll dig up the part numbers if you go the route of an original internal reg alternator from the wreckers, $80 last year.

If you witnessed your alternator fry at nighttime the driving lights go really bright until the alternator cooks and then it stops charging, then the lights go dimmer and dimmer as your battery drains. Not a nice feeling. Then the alt needs to be rebuilt or becomes a boat anchor.

And again, whilst I love how nearly everything on the old cruisers are long lived, the alternators do not give out much charge if you run fan, lights and windscreen wipers, the 80amps can't give enough. Baxters do a 120 amp alt for the 2h, but I accidently shorted out mine a bit too easily. It is possible to live with 80amps though. Bosch alternators are ok too, but difficult to get spare regs for. The original alternators are tough as, the pump is excellent.

I am rebuilding an 85 2h engine, I shall be using an internally regulated alt. It is an early parent bore.
As far as I know it should work. The wires which usually lead to your external reg shall have to go to your internal reg instead, otherwise you cook your battery.
Sorry can't be more specific without being in front of the bonnet, to swap shall take a little figuring out. Keeping external reg is easiest, but an odd $80-100 punt to see if your alternator is still ok..Probably could spin your alt without the reg just to see if some volts come out with the drill and pulley outside of the engine bay.

Trouble with all this bs about electric cars is most electrics is consumable and non repairable. Throw away. When they have the 8 billion battery mountain they shall say, doh these pollute too...greed is the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom