1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1988 Hard starts - doesn't start

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by smpiers, Jul 31, 2005.

1. smpiers

smpiers

I have a 1988 cruiser that is starting to have an intermitent start issue. Sometimes it will fire up, others times not. I have had 2 fuel pumps on the this replaced in the last 2.5 years, hoping it is not that again. And if it does need a new fuel pump, what would cause so many failures? Looking for any suggestions on what else might be going on here.
    Thanks.

2. chitown40

chitown40

Are we talking hard cold starts or hot starts? Is your fuel pump leaking? Might also want to check the fuel pressure regulator.

3. kkt

kkt

Media:
    Albums:
    start problem

If the starter keeps turning and engine will not start you problem is most likely a clogged cold start injector. go to the 3fe yahoo group discussion board for info on the injector.

4. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  5. smpiers

smpiers

Well, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and no start. At least I have gone from intermitent starting to no starting! I will read up on the 3F EFI issues and see what to do next. Something about a jumper wire to the relay?

6. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Do you have a Factory Service Manual? It describes how to use a jumper wire to force the fuel pump on. You should be able to hear the pump running and if you open the system you will get a lot of fuel out. If you hear the pump but have no pressure, then the check valve on the pump is stuck closed and you need a new pump. About $220 part and a big PITA to replace because it is in the tank.