1988 FJ62 with rusty. Worth investing in? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A neighbor has an 88 FJ62 for sale for $5k. It has 227k miles, interior is nice, but lots of rust. Posting pics, my question is do you think it’s worth investing in, cost to repairs, etc? I should add, I’m told this truck came from Canada, damage maybe from road salt.
thanks.

EEB65576-8B85-420E-95AE-27783AC4A7BE.jpeg

9DCB5F04-A6AA-40EB-8722-8ADA6D16AF13.jpeg

A4FF03B2-695F-4270-BF91-361F38F00326.jpeg

F347A366-E044-46AA-8D08-CA3FE3840DCE.jpeg

Last edited:
looks like its been ½ submerged in water for a while. Looking at the hub and lug nuts I'd assumed the frame is riddled with rust as well. I'd say hard pass...especially at $5K.

The A pillars and roof and door frames (all hard to repair) would worry me more, but it's not looking good. That's a $2500 part-it-out kind of deal.

In current pricing I think 5 is almost a friendly price. (combination rust + 227k =3500?)
To invest: depends on skills, if you want time and money back likely not possible. (translates to: absolutely not)
If you can drive it as is (know history, neighbor skills/work done) and weld in the weekend (so no driving that weekend...) might be fun.
(fun depends on mindset)

Overhere these are also just the normal rust, they all end up that way. My hj is doing its best and exceptional effort to look like that.
The chassis, show it, it is another few hunderd hours on welding, new brakelines, birfs, baseline:

1986 Maintenance 26 pag.

that probably looked real nice 8? years ago when all the bondo was applied.
there is lots more hiding there

Your pictures are a prelude to a scary & expensive story - there's a LOT you can't see.

If you're still thinking about it, pull the carpets in driver and passenger footwells.

Guaranteed you could Fred Flintstone this thing.

flintstonescar.jpg

Id say maybe 3 grand if the interior is MINT. Drive it, until it cant anymore then make some money back of said interior. But a purchase to repair? Hell naw.

i paid 2500 for mine (in canada) 9 years ago it was about as rusty. 12k of body and paint made it beautiful (that’s about $10 american these days i think). it’s always the bottom 6 inches of the truck that needs replacing up here. not sure mine was quite that bad though. if it’s really got a clean interior and it’s mechanically sound and you’re willing to pay for or can do a lot of body work then 3500-4k might be worth it

Hi, Can you weld..no..pass. Yes...maybe at 2500. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom