1988 FJ62 Timing Wrong (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

32° total advance. That's how much advance you need at 4000 rpm. Not just 2/3Fs but all simple IC engines running pump gas with reasonable compression.

Bumping this... I'm in a pickle myself with timing an FJ62. I have the factory manual, I have the distributor set exactly how it should go according to the diagram, ECU in diagnostic mode I have it set to 7 degrees with the engine warm and it feels way too advanced, if I give it throttle it bogs hard and pops through the intake. Removing the jumper from the diagnostic port seems to have no effect on the timing/engine rpm at all. I can confirm it's going into diag mode by the flashing check engine light. Could this be an ECU issue? I am killing myself trying to get this right.

I already swapped the dizzy with another known good unit to rule out an issue with that. I've literally retimed this thing 10 times bumping a tooth here and there and it's either way retarded or way advanced. :bang:

Last edited:
Ok after about six more hours of messing around I finally got it! I found the underside of the intake tube split wide open and the TPS was out of adjustment, put a new tube on and adjusted the TPS per the OE manual and I knew it was fixed when I put it into diag mode the idle changed, it never did that before. Also the code 51 is gone now. Got the timing spot on now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom