1988 FJ62 SOA build I want to make sure I am doing this right (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like that Johnny. Saves any unnecessary work if the stock set up meets my needs. I have a tendency to want to go for the perceived "ultimate" right up front and I may miss the more simple and adequate solution in front of me.

I still need to find some stock springs as the springs I have are the OME HD which gives about a 2.5 to 3 inch lift and I know those would give me too much lift.

Thanks

I still need to find some stock springs as the springs I have are the OME HD which gives about a 2.5 to 3 inch lift and I know those would give me too much lift.

No you don't. Pull two or three leaves out of the pack (from the bottom-up) and see how it sits. Will probably be just about right.

Good idea Johnny. Thank you, I was not sure if I could do that. This could give me a way to experiment with the height. Once I dial that in, I can then decide if that works or if I need to look at different options with different springs, reverse shackle etc... I just need to make a decision, move on and then adjust as needed. Sometimes I over think things......OK, I always overthink things.

Slowly making progress. I had to cut into housing in order to make the passenger side spring perch fit. I have that cut out and almost welded back together. I took a leaf off my old springs and will see where that puts me for height once I get the perches tacked onto the axle.

I do have a question for those who have done this. As you can see from the picture, with it SUA the shock mount was at the bottom of the spring bracket. I don't believe this is going to work with the SOA. Where did you guys put your shock mounts once you did the spring over?

Thanks

20190724_191117.jpg

I'm not too proud to admit I may have made a mistake. So, quick question. Would it be OK to run 2.75 inch leaf springs on 3 inch perches?

I'm not too proud to admit I may have made a mistake. So, quick question. Would it be OK to run 2.75 inch leaf springs on 3 inch perches?

2.75" wide springs on a 3" wide perch? nothing wrong with that.

Slow but sure. Slowly making progress with what time I have to spend on this project. I had the differential rebuilt with 5:29 gearing, I have that all put back and buttoned down. Everything has been flipped on the axle housing for SOA and back on the cruiser.
Do the springs look alright? Going to rebuild the knuckles tomorrow and then start on the steering.

20191012_135155.jpg

20191012_135213.jpg

20191012_135232.jpg

Is that sitting on the springs? Can’t tell if those big jack stands in the second pic are under the bumper.
What was your final caster angle?

Yes, that is sitting on the springs and my caster angle ended up at 7 degrees.

According to my calculations, this puts the top of the wheel well about 7 inches over a 37 inch tire. I can put in another leaf on my springs but I think that will give me too much lift. Thoughts?

OK, so the Arch is OK, I just need more leafs but keep the same arch.

I have had suggestions of rear 62 springs, Jeep or Ford springs or I guess I could have some made.

What options are available where I could keep the spring mounts where they are and not have to move them? Any?

Should I bite the bullet and just make the change over to a shackle reversal and put them where needed for the right springs?

Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

How many leaves did you remove from that pack? Looks like there used to be more.

In this case I'd say you want the center of the pack better supported which means adding shorter leaves back in.

I’d say 7 degrees of caster is pretty high it will track really straight but you’ll have extra steering effort at lower speeds. I’d say 4 isn’t perfect, mine is at like 6 and works well but I might put 2 degree shims in to reduce it.

And I agree with the others you want more leaves in that pack. I wouldn’t bother with custom leafs or even cruiser leaves, just cut those mounts off and use something off a domestic and be done

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your feedback. I made some changes and I am going to go with this (see pics) until I can put some wheels and tires on to see how it really fits. Does this look better? This has 5 leafs in the springs.

Thanks again!

20191014_141602.jpg

20191014_141609.jpg

That looks better and I think will work decently for awhile since those look like pretty fresh springs. Spend the money on good dampers. This is where everyone (including myself) cheaps out and it's probably the worst place to.
Also look into F250 shock mounts, I like them a lot on my truck

What motor is in that thing? Heavier/lighter than the stock engine?

Getting to where it's reasonable. Put bumpstops in that prevent the spring from going inverted, and good shocks like matt said. It'll hopefully last a while that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom