1988 FJ62 - Looking for buying advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There is a 1988 Red FJ62 I spotted about 6 months ago on FB marketplace and have kept in contact with the
owner, at the time he didn't have the title but has since gotten it. He is the 2nd owner. It's
originally from Cold Spring, NY. It's got 191k on the odometer and the interior is completely
mint, even the headliner. Was having a fuel pump problem but he replaced it and it is running.
I'm planning on heading to look at this within the week because all I've seen is pictures up to this
point. It does have some rust issues around the fender wells on the rear and a small spot on the
drivers front. My few questions are this:

1) I feel like 2,500 is a decent price to get this for.. Am I wrong?
2) Beyond the wheel wells, obv I need to scope the frame out, but where would be the hardest hit
places I should check upon seeing it in person?
3) Any other specific area's I should look at besides the rust that seem to be high problem areas?

I've been a long time lurker and am excited about the possibility of finally getting to own one of these
awesome rides. Any other advice, etc from you veteran owners/mechanics out there?

Thanks!

Inner frame rails in the rear, from axle on back, for rust. Coming from NY it could be a rust bucket, for sure. Fuel pump issue would indicate tank has probably been dropped. Insure no leaks and that it's secure. Alternative to dropping is to cut hole in cargo floor. Automatic transmission is a weak link. Check for proper function and investigate receipts for work that's been done on it, if any. That would be a decent price IMO.

You are correct, look at the frame, shock mounts, ask @NeverGiveUpYota. I always like to see the frame where the spare mounts too. Sometimes have to let the spare down to see it. I also like to see inside the doors down low to see if the truck has body rot there as well. Others will chime in for sure.

Wheel well pics

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

You need to get under there and smack it w/ a hammer all in the areas that @Saucerman said. Photos of the outside mean nothing.

Here was a few of the interior shots I could find. Dash has since been put back together. I guess his original plan was to remove the interior into another project but he just never did so he put it back together. Appreciate all the info on this guys! Glad I came here for advice!

int1.jpg

int2.jpg

int3.jpg

Your being blinded by the exterior. Get under it and really inspect w/ a heavy hand.

Interior is nice. It looks like I’m seeing some rust-through under the doors. Body work and possible frame repair will be your biggest expense unless you’re skilled in this area. Agree with above.

Your being blinded by the exterior. Get under it and really inspect w/ a heavy hand.
Def know that she’s got some rust I just want to make sure it’s not crazy bad and where to scope out. If it’s holy majorly underneath I may pass on it. Really only wanna spend a few thousand on body work if I have to. My brother graduated from Wyotech with paint and body specialty so I’m hoping for some assistance if I purchase this.

To put it bluntly, if you have (more) money, buy the best truck you can afford.
  • If the frame is sound, $2500 is a sporting price, but there will be lots of bodywork headaches and things like every brake line needing replacement.
  • If the frame is rusty, offer him $1500 and set it aside as a parts truck, and go find its mate and combine the two.
If I had to bet, the rear upper shock mount tube is paper thin or missing, and the frame ahead of the rear wheels will be bulged and rusted. Hope not!

Better check that roof and the A pillars too. It looks pretty rough from the few pictures you've provided, especially down low on the LH side. Pull up the rear wheel well covers.

SteveH is right on the money, buy the best truck you can afford. Repairing body rot is no fun even when your brother is helping you out. I'd rather swap a drive line than fix a truck full of body rot.

Better check that roof and the A pillars too. It looks pretty rough from the few pictures you've provided, especially down low on the LH side. Pull up the rear wheel well covers.

I noticed that one is off, but the photo was taken in such a way to avoid the rear seat hinge area. Wonder why??

All has been welded before so nothing new here, If you have a welder and 1.25mm metal it is no problem to repair and have a nice drivable 4x4.
If you use the pressed sheet metal is looks better but more money, I used those for the wheel wells but but did not use them below the doors because those are easy to press and spot-weld.

The route to repair is a choice between weekend repairs and fun driving or body of frame and spent months working.

Found this yesterday:

2_0e842d104ca3773a8896fd723942587d_t.jpg

No, not really, I was just to lazy to look at it, a few rust repairs every summer are enough to keep her rolling.

So now after poking trough it must be fixed:

2_e0693f002ca7b74bdb6aee88de1786ef_t.jpg

And I like all the pictures where days of work pass in a few seconds but this is still waiting so I will continue, soon, when, ..

Last edited:
I tell people spend all your money to buy the cleanest example. Unless you enjoy doing body work then my suggestion goes out the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom