For Sale 1988 FJ62 5.3Vortec Swap Maryland Sold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For sale today is a fresh frame off 5.3 Vortec swap. This Cruiser is a pleasure to drive and Im sure will give the new owner many smiles down the road.
$27,500
Located in Baltimore, MD

The Details.
5.3 vortec V8 swap. Pull out motor from 2001 tahoe.
124K miles on the motor. 4l60e transmission with recent rebuild.
228K on the ODO.
Replaced with new during the swap: plugs, alternator, fuel pressure regulator, intake manifold gasket, MAF sensor, O2 sensors,battery cables, battery, SS battery tray, power steering hoses, power steering and transmission coolers, transmission and fuel lines, fuel filer, fuel pump, oil filter, transmission filter and pan gasket, all fluids (coolant, motor oil, transmission fluid, transfer case, brake, and 2 differentials), AC compressor, ac lines, JVC stereo head unit, 4 door speakers, underseat subwolfer, shocks, wipers front and back, power antenna, emissions vapor canister, all new 409 stainless exhaust, cat and muffler, lots of $20 bits and pieces.

Reconditioning work performed:
-Frame was throughly cleaned, primed and painted. The notorious rear c-channels replaced, and rust on the rear cross member was cut out and new steel welded. No other significant frame rust or damage is present.

-Brake lines thoroughly inspected, rear drums adjusted, new fluid, and full bleed. Stops like it should.

-Stock ride height is retained, new poly bushings installed on all four springs, new sway bar links and bushings, 4 new Monroe gas-adjust shocks.

-Interior has been throughly cleaned, seat covers were removed washed and reinstalled on newly painted frames. The drivers seat bottom and was swapped with a passenger side bottom from a donor truck. original carpet and headliner were retained and show their age. some stains on the headliner but no rips or holes. The dash is cracked on the driver side and a small break over the speaker location. The carpet is clean and decent except the cargo area. All power locks and windows have been cleaned and serviced and work well. An aftermarket power antenna is fitted and operates with the original switch. Interior dome lights were replaced with LED bulbs as well as most in the center instrument panel. The center console has been professionally repainted with matching SEM grey and looks great. Tint from previous owner was retained and shows well with some minor imperfections. AC has been charged with R134 and blows down in the 40's. Wife says its "too cold"

-Exterior wears a respray of unknown age but shows really well with some touchups and 3 minor rust spots (driver rear quarter is the worst, upper hatch right near the latch is a small bubble, and under passenger cargo window seal also shows a small paint bubble) closeups of these are in the album. The entire truck has been detailed with claybar, buffed, and waxed. Original bumpers, ends, radiator grill and rear view mirrors remain with some chrome flaking. All rain gutter chrome is present without dents. "Snake Blinders" are missing. Stock wheels with 31" Goodyear Wrangler MT tires. Plenty of tread on these to use while you decide what tires you really want to run.

Some other swap details.
Toyota temp and oil pressure senders retained as well as the toyota gauges. A dakota digital unit converts v8 tach signal to the v6 toyota gauge. New wires run from fuse block to the fuel pump.
The radiator was cleaned and pressure tested, all new hoses with the proper H pipe to bypass the heater when not in use and the high mounted steam vent. Temp holds very steady (was idling in carpool lane at 90deg outside ac running inside for 30 minutes with no problems) Front and rear heaters both heat up nicely. This swap runs a mechanical fan. EGR system is removed and used corvette C6 exhaust manifolds were fitted.
The 62 stock shifter was retained, new Toyota bushings in the shifter and linkage. Shifting is positive and smooth.
Advanced adapter motor mounts and adapter to Toyota Transfer case. All new seals on the TC. Drive shafts were resized and run very smoothly.
Starts on the first crank turning over only once every single time.
I know somebody is going to ask MPG and I cant accurately can say but it is in mid teens in the city and higher on the freeway. The speedo and odo run slightly lower than actual because of the current tire size. Ive put over 1000 shakedown miles in this truck and it is very fun and reliable to drive. No more dreaded on-ramps and long hills are a breeze. City driving is really enjoyable I get great comments and "offers to buy" just about every day.

IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG

A full album of pics can be found here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3yEXJ7v5PUGB5ewb6

PM me any questions. Id be happy to arrange a call, test drive, ship, pic you up at BWI,or deliver. Thanks for looking!

That is a lot of truck for the money. Looks like the swap was done really well.

I do have to ask though, if you put all that time/effort/money in to the engine/chassis why not dig in a little further and take care of those minor body rust spots you mentioned?

That is a lot of truck for the money. Looks like the swap was done really well.

I do have to ask though, if you put all that time/effort/money in to the engine/chassis why not dig in a little further and take care of those minor body rust spots you mentioned?
It’s just like you said, time, energy, money. Not that I wouldn’t love to overhaul the paint job and make it 100%. It shows really well as is and it didn’t make the priority list. Just mentioning it in the listing for full disclosure.

It’s just like you said, time, energy, money. Not that I wouldn’t love to overhaul the paint job and make it 100%. It shows really well as is and it didn’t make the priority list. Just mentioning it in the listing for full disclosure.

I think all 6X series owners can empathize with that.

Its a great looking rig and I wish you the best of luck with the sale.

Great looking truck. What modifications did you have to do to the motor (if any) to maintain stock ride height? I was under the impression you had to do a lift to make room for the 5.3.
Good luck with the sale, Someone will come along who recognizes the value in all that work that’s been done.

Thanks, It does seem that almost all swaps I’ve seen have lifts but I wouldn’t say that it is necessary. The fit on a 5.3 swap is tight but very doable. I would have preferred to position it back and up a bit but that would have required relocating the ac compressor. An option, but to me fitting a front end accessory kit is very confusing and seem very expensive for what they do. The low hanging fruit in this configuation, right above the bulge in the axle housing is the ac compressor and belt tensioner. In this case I kept the motor forward to keep the ac stuff in front of the housing and modified the oil pan a bit to follow the curve of the axle housing.

Sold :)

Thank you so much to Jon and Reid for making the drop down to Raleigh, NC and for taking the time to talk to me about all the work you did.

I'M IN LOVE. (don't tell my girlfriend)

Sold :)

Thank you so much to Jon and Reid for making the drop down to Raleigh, NC and for taking the time to talk to me about all the work you did.

I'M IN LOVE. (don't tell my girlfriend)
So nice meet you and see this go into good hands. Your girlfriend will understand.

I think I speak for EVERYONE here. We are all glad its not a heep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom