For Sale 1988 BJ74 JDM RHD - Lethbridge Alberta Canada - SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD
The new price is:
$12,000 USD
$11,000USD
And I have added a list of additional parts below. Post #15

Original build thread link (not updated in a very long time)
Builds - A Canadian build of a JDM BJ74 - *TECH ONLY PLEASE - NO CHAT*

I am regretfully selling my 1988 Toyota Landcruiser BJ74 with 13BT / 3.4L turbo diesel motor and H55F 5 speed manual transmission. This is one of the most reliable combinations Toyota has ever made and easily capable of over 500,000kms. Even now with 300,000kms on the motor it has great compression and fires up with just a bump of the key and uses no oil between oil changes. It has the best of both worlds with manual locking hubs and push button shift on the fly 4HI. This truck has been my trusted daily driver since 2009 and has never let me down. I have always gone overboard on maintenance and made repairs long before the were needed. All the fluids have always been changed regularly and oil changes done every 5000km with 5w40 synthetic and Baldwin filter. Everything has been documented with receipts and logged in a vehicle diary. This is a truly go anywhere all-season truck built for daily driving, holiday road trips and weekend adventures. I would not hesitate to jump in right now and drive this truck anywhere!!!

Lots of well planned and thought out modifications including:
- My favorite with link: Webasto Install BJ74 13BT
The Webasto Thermo 50 diesel fired circulating coolant heater!! With 7 day timer. Never a cold start or need to plug in. Even at -30*C (-22*F) the truck will fire right up like a summer day and already be blowing warm air from the heater.
- 2.5” Old Man Emu suspension with extended anti inversion shackles, 2.5* pinion angle shims and 4* castor correction shims
- Man A Fre U-bolt flip kit installed in the front. (I also have rear kit not installed)
- ARB air locking differentials with Nitro 4.56:1 gears
- ARB air compressor mounted inside center console with driver and passenger side quick connects for filling tires
- New 35”x12.5”x15” Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires
- Custom front double cardan drive shaft allowing 4WD to be used at any speed with no vibrations
- Custom 3” exhaust with braided flex pipe and Aero Turbine muffler
- Custom expedition drawer system in rear with 400lb drawer slides (I still have the rear seat and it can be reinstalled)
- Custom front bumper with winch mount
- Custom rear bumper with swing out tire carrier and 2” receiver
- Cruisin Offroad skid plate
- Cruisin Offroad rock sliders
- Toyota Factory Aisin 24V winch (Toyotas 24V copy of the Legendary Warn 8274 winch)
- Warn wireless remote winch controller
- Trucklite 27270C LED headlights (expensive!!)
- PIA LP530 LED fog lights
- 24V to 12V converter to run stereo and accessories
- Custom 24V to 12V trailer wiring converter.
- Cobra 75WXST CB radio with external speaker
- Auto Meter boost gauge
- Many more upgrades and to many spare parts to list…..

Some of the recent repairs and major maintenance items include:
- Steering knuckle rebuild (294,442kms
- New Exedy heavy duty clutch and flywheel machined 293,010
- New Clutch master cylinder
- New clutch slave cylinder
- New clutch booster all done at 293,010kms
- Group 27 Interstate RV batteries (x2) at 293,405
- Transmission mount 288,782kms (not damaged just maintenance)
- Thermostat 290,808kms
- Front pads, rotors and brake lines 263,812kms
- All belts and hoses 250,863kms
- Rear brake pads and drums machined 245,483kms
- Transfer case rebuilt with all new bearings, seals 211,960 (already has McNamara drive gear upgrade)

The Bad:
- There is rust in the fenders and rocker panels
-Needs new windshield

I am only selling to downsize my fleet now that I have finished building my HDJ81 LandCruiser and bought a new Tacoma for work. I am in no hurry to sell and will not entertain low ballers, traders or scammers. This truck could easily be parted out for more then I am asking.

SDC10913.JPG

523.jpg

20180215_080310[897].jpg

20180401_193719[896].jpg

Last edited:
I know this isn't really helping you sell, but I can't really believe this isn't selling for that price either.

FJ40's sell for ridiculous prices, more than this now rusted WAY worse with hacked V8 swaps from 20 years ago and barely drivable. The parts alone on this rig easily justify the price. Heck Someone would be quite the money ahead if you had a shell FJ40, bought this and put all the drivetrain in it.

Good luck!

shush!

i'm in the middle of building a garage, and all the extra cash is going into that. i'm hoping that no one sees this so that i can make a road trip up north after we're done spending big monies...

keep it on the d/l guys. 8^)

seriously, this is a great deal. awesome truck that i would drive year round. would be the perfect replacement for my fzj80. just saw a really rough bj71 go for a lot less than this. was really rough. did i say it was rough? might be some are worried about buying over the border. did some research, and it really seems to be quite trivial, as long as your ducks are in a row.

--r

Thanks guys, and yeah I think a lot of people are intimidated by the import process. They dont realize just how easy it is. Here is a detailed write up of whats involved from a fellow ih8mud member.
Importing a car from Canada - A Definitive Guide

Bump!
I cant believe I am still sitting on this. Lots of interest but nobody has made the trip to come see it yet....

I think this is a great deal and I was the one buying it and ready to leave to pick it up in Canada when the seller unfortunately changed his mind last year . In the meantime I have build a wheeler 73 for me so I have no more interest in this as I already have an offroad ready 73 now...… that being said my homebuilt one cost me about 4 to 5 times of what he is asking for his. Great opportunity for someone who wants a cruiser to go wheeling/camping/hunting or whatever where you run the risk of getting a few scratches and bruises ;)

Good luck with the sale , someone will see the light and pull the trigger on it soon I hope

Joe

I think this is a great deal and I was the one buying it and ready to leave to pick it up in Canada when the seller unfortunately changed his mind last year . In the meantime I have build a wheeler 73 for me so I have no more interest in this as I already have an offroad ready 73 now...… that being said my homebuilt one cost me about 4 to 5 times of what he is asking for his. Great opportunity for someone who wants a cruiser to go wheeling/camping/hunting or whatever where you run the risk of getting a few scratches and bruises ;)

Good luck with the sale , someone will see the light and pull the trigger on it soon I hope

Joe
Thanks Joe, I wish I would have sold it to you when I had the chance. I know it would have been in good hands. If it doesnt sell soon I will have to list my HDJ81 for sale :(

Price drop!! $11,000USD
Somebody better buy this quick before my HDJ81 sells!!!

Last edited:
Heya- has the h55 been serviced? Syncros/ etc?
We opened up the top cover on the 5 speed at the same time the t-case was being rebuilt. Everything looked good then. Ive dumped the gear oil a half dozen times since owning it and have never seen any bits. I've een running Amsoil 75/90 synthetic. Transmision shifts great but if you get real sloppy shifting into 2nd you can feel some syncro wear

I'm very excited! Its moving out to BC now and it's my first Cruiser in over a decade! Thanks again Malahki!
I am glad it went to somebody who will use it and appreciate it. I am sure it will treat you well.
Welcome to the forum @Tallguy85 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom