1988 62 electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last week noticed that my trailer connector was melted? Replaced it and it still didn't.this week when I turn on my headlights my high beam dash indicator comes on,both signal indicators too( dim) my headlights are like candles.with the truck off and key out ,I turn on headlights and heater starts.w.t.f.kinda lost,did the battery and body ground beside it,no change.tilt steering wiring?? I'm lost and ideas would be great

Sounds like a short somewhere, probably the trailer hitch. Corrosion gets in there and fouls it up. As for the heater coming on with the lights??? Very odd. The fan and lights are on totally separate circuits. I’d start by pulling all the fuses except the headlights and see what happens.

Sometimes its the side marker light below the rear cabin vent. The rubber dries up, and allows rain to drip down on connector inside. Pull the lights n check the connectors.

Looks like when it happened to mine, the PO had to jump a new wire in the harness behind the fuse box...

Another common issue is corrosion in the rear driver's side kick panel below the jack. Previous owners also love to wire their own trailer wiring too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom