1988 4runner Gas Tank Restoration Saga (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is it ready to go back in the truck.... just needs a little black paint.
all efforts were overseen and approved by my shop manager
20170628_182321.jpg
20170627_170506.jpg
(starting her young)

20170627_165759.jpg

for those following, or for anyone who has attempted this themselves, I am still trying to locate an oem part number for this hose.....
anyone know what it is. connects the threaded output fitting on the fuel pump bracket to the hard line on the frame rail.

20170621_212158.jpg

Shop manager needs safety shoes. 1 demerit.

hey jgrantthevagrant- do you know the part number for this hose? the one that goes from the fuel pump bracket in above picture to the hard line that runs along the frame rail, right?
it has two flare nut fittings and a fexible hose, about 8 inches long....

I cant find a part number for it, but would like to replace it as well.....

thanks
I will look for it. I kept the receipt and part bag. It was fairly expensive, but I could not find any options or fab one myself.

I think the number is 23091-35030. Should be the same number in U.S as Canada. I can dig up the price as well but it will fluctuate with currency. Almost guaranteed to be cheaper in U.S. Let me know if that number does not work.

You could take it to your local hydraulic hose store and have them make you a new one with the old ends.

I think the number is 23091-35030.
I tried my VIN in toyotapartsdeal.com where i got the other stuff, and it said no. I tried "view similar parts" and got no results there either. is your truck the Canadian version?
Untitled.png

i think it might have said it doesnt fit, because it is discontinued???
because if I look through the fuel system parts manually, by my vin, something similar shows up.

Untitled2.png

in the parts fische, it looks like hose 23091 in all the different versions of the tank. does anyone know how to convert the parts fishce ID number to an OEM part number that is truck specific?

mine is the bottom left version

283cfcdee7696e98ad28169764e5351f-475x685.gif

Last edited:
Got my tank put back in the truck and filled with fuel. Truck starts and runs like a champ now.

One thing I noticed when fueling the tank from bone dry is that the gauge on the dash, although now functional, is not accurate at all.
To check the gauge, I started slowly adding fuel into the tank with the key on.
From bone dry, I had to add every bit of 9+ gallons of fuel (ethanol free this time) to get the gauge to read 1/2 full. obviously, we don't have an 18 gallon tank. However that would be awesome.

I guess Toyota never took the geometry of the physical tank into account when designing the sending unit. It is definitely a non-linear relationship.

(in other words, at a certain fill level in the tank, it takes X gallons to move the sending unit float up say 1/4", thus changing the readout on gauge. but when the tank gets wider or narrower towards the top or bottom, now it takes a different amount of fuel to make the sending unit rise float the same 1/4".)

oh well, better than not knowing how much fuel I have at all until the low fuel light came on I guess. lol.

Resized952017070495143547.jpg

Resized952017070495143611.jpg

My truck is the Canadian version. That usually doesn't affect part numbers, unless there was a specific Canadian requirement, like daytime running lights. All parts were available last October, and came up in the California warehouse also. The parts software here shows local, Toronto, and California availability, and they pull from all of them. I tried the have the hose re-done route, but the fittings were not salvageable.

not a problem. we are all here to help each other.
hope yours turns out just as well.
Your sig says Fort Collins....cool. I think my truck is from there actually. I always wanted to visit Colorado.

Old thread, but still helping others on their journeys. Thanks to the OP for a grade A write up👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom