1988 4runner Door Latch Assembly part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
mysite.verizon.net
Hi all,

My driver side door assembly broke and I finally got the door open.

I confirmed the year via the VIN# and am trying to buy the part [69320-89115] this morning and find it is discontinued. I did find one site that indicates that the 69320-89109 [1985-1987] part fits my driver side but its passenger side counterpart [69310-89109] does not fit??

Any leads on where I can get the part with the correct number, or can anyone confirm that it is possible to use the 85-87 assembly on an 88-89?

It is for a nonpowered door lock.

Thank you,

Aaron

Did you check Rockauto?

Your best bet might honestly be the junkyard. I'm not too sure on using the passenger side on the driver's side.

Different.

Thanks pappy. I should've worded that differently. Not too sure if the later model ones will fit the earlier ones.

Mondays....

So that's a no for the rockauto part?

I'm getting a different part number for the driver's side door. I get 69052-89112, 1983.08 - 1989.03. This would suggest that all Gen1 driver's side door locks are interchangeable.

That is the good news. Bad news is it's disco'd. What sucks even more is the lock set for the truck is also disco'd.

I'm sending you a PM.

Sorry guys, I failed on this thread. Didn't see these until today. I did get the PM notificaiton though??

Anyway, I had also jumped on a set from a local yard. After asking 10 times if they were from an 88 4runner, I received them Friday and attempted to install them yesterday.

First problem was that they arrived with plastic clips on all rods except the door handles. I'm guessing I now have to buy new handles to get those clips?

Second problem, my passenger side inner forward door release handle rod is not the insert into plastic clip type. Its an elliptical shaped slide over a fixed pin that has 2 nylon washers sandwiching a spring. but the latch assembly sent has a plastic clip. So I can't attach that rod to the latch assembly.

I installed them both just because I can now keep the doors closed. Yes, the driver door will not open as the plastic clip is not there and rod falls out. But the passenger side has a large cotter pin cinched on it and will open from the exterior. I did this just to keep them closed with the elements coming this time of year until I can get the clips, and I assume either correct latch assembly for passenger side, or the other rod type [utilizing plastic clip].

Feel free to throw info at me, it ussually helps me along,

Aaron

Sorry guys, I failed on this thread. Didn't see these until today. I did get the PM notificaiton though??

Anyway, I had also jumped on a set from a local yard. After asking 10 times if they were from an 88 4runner, I received them Friday and attempted to install them yesterday.

First problem was that they arrived with plastic clips on all rods except the door handles. I'm guessing I now have to buy new handles to get those clips?

Second problem, my passenger side inner forward door release handle rod is not the insert into plastic clip type. Its an elliptical shaped slide over a fixed pin that has 2 nylon washers sandwiching a spring. but the latch assembly sent has a plastic clip. So I can't attach that rod to the latch assembly.

I installed them both just because I can now keep the doors closed. Yes, the driver door will not open as the plastic clip is not there and rod falls out. But the passenger side has a large cotter pin cinched on it and will open from the exterior. I did this just to keep them closed with the elements coming this time of year until I can get the clips, and I assume either correct latch assembly for passenger side, or the other rod type [utilizing plastic clip].

Feel free to throw info at me, it ussually helps me along,

Aaron

Can you include pics? If you have the rods too I would just take them off and use what you have inside the door. The plastic clips for the door handles have been available seperately. I just bought a pair for a friends truck. I will dig up a part number after I wake up and have breakfast.

The plastic clips for the door handles have been available seperately. I just bought a pair for a friends truck. I will dig up a part number after I wake up and have breakfast.
[/QUOTE]

AWESOME! I didn't take pics and its about 60 miles away for the next 4 days [I'm a commuter]. I bascically know that once I have the uppermost clip then my exterior handles will work.

i'm left with - I can't connect my passenger forward inner handle that doesn't use clips to my latch assmebly that has a clip. So I have to get a handle/rod that will attach to clip, or latch assembly that doesn't use clip/has pin with washers/spring. I'll get pics for the thread next weekend.

I tend to collect small door parts from various wreckers. Especially if they have the little plastic clips on them. Then I'm less stuck when I rip my doors apart, which I do almost annually.

I tend to collect small door parts from various wreckers. Especially if they have the little plastic clips on them.

Well I guess I know who to call next time I need a part! I will eventually need the drivers side glass guide/weather seal as mine is in a few pieces.

Pretty sure I have some glass guides. They survive well. The seals are a bit more tricky. PM me if the need gets urgent. The door parts are in various places. I definitely have several of the little plastic things. They can break when you start monkeying with them.

So, i found a set of new oem door handles on ebay a few weeks back for a no brainer price, even if just for the plastic clips. installed those and test fit latch assemblies and all rods. Here comes the problem. snowy/icy weekend working outside and guess what happens to plastic in cold weather. yup! the new yellow clip snapped on my last necessary movement to it. not to mention working in the cold was a great way to cut up all my knuckles doing the hinges, etc.

but! my friend went over to his LX450 that he is disassemblying and the drivers side door of the LX450 utilizes a grey clip that is the same size and fits/works on the 1st gen 4runner passenger door. fyi, the LX450 passenger door clip was yellow. I thought this would be good knowledge to sahre on here.

i have many hours in to my doors now with brand new hinges, brand new door handles, working latch assemblies, and a lot of bloody knuckles from this big giant pain in the nuts.

I just shared this information privately with @abecker and thought it would be worth sharing publicly for posterity.

After this discussion, and discovering that those cylinders are NLA, I decided to harvest the cylinders from a truck at the boneyard. In the process I broke one of the clips. If you look at the parts microfiche for the lock stuff the little clip for the lock cylinder doesn't show up. Those plastic clips do show up for everything else.

I needed a key for these cylinders anyways so I talked with the parts manager. He looked up the cylinder and confirmed that the clip is part of the cylinder assembly, and not available separately ... but the cylinder is NLA. So he takes me to the back and we start going through the bins. Sure enough, there was a matching clip. Note that left and right matter, at least on the cylinders. But, functionally, I'm not sure it does.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. If you drive old junk the key code is stamped on the passenger side cylinder. With that you can go to the dealer and have a key cut.

I will do a little homework later and see if I can track down what this clip went to (edit:donedeal). Doing so should give me the part number for the other side. Clearly since it does have it's own number another application will show it on the microfiche. In the mean time, enjoy the pic. The yellow clip is the new part. The pink was a clip that survived the harvest.

20191216_072240-sm.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. If you drive old junk the key code is stamped on the passenger side cylinder. With that you can go to the dealer and have a key cut.

Hi Pappy, do you have a photograph of where the code is stamped on the cylinder?
You mentioned that "the key code is stamped on the passenger side cylinder". Is this to mean that it is always on the passenger side regardless of correct driving position?

Hi Pappy, do you have a photograph of where the code is stamped on the cylinder?
You mentioned that "the key code is stamped on the passenger side cylinder". Is this to mean that it is always on the passenger side regardless of correct driving position?

Well, since I'm a Yankee, yes, passenger side. But you bring up a good point. So, for the international lurkers here ... right hand door lock cylinder. Let me see what I can do. The problem is if I take a picture of what I have, the world will have my key code, a bad thing. The code is on the side of the cylinder, opposite the pawl.

20191217_071605-blackout-sm.jpg

Well, since I'm a Yankee, yes, passenger side. But you bring up a good point. So, for the international lurkers here ... right hand door lock cylinder. Let me see what I can do. The problem is if I take a picture of what I have, the world will have my key code, a bad thing. The code is on the side of the cylinder, opposite the pawl.

View attachment 2158682

Do you mind posting up a picture of your credit card too? :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom