1987 Toyota Van - $500 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Located in Central California

214k miles on the odometer.

Neighbor/owner says it has a blown head gasket so he quit driving it.

I was going to take a picture of the engine but I could not find it. :whoops:

It has front and rear heat as well as front and rear AC. He said these are independent systems.
DSCF5231.JPG
DSCF5232.JPG

I found out a little more.

It seems the MAS air flow sensor is conected to the air intake. (Most are) It is common for them to crack, just like the FJ60 pleated pipe air intake pipe going to the air filter. When a crack happens, it runs lean and gets hot. He took in to a repair shop that works on these. They knew what the problem was and put duct tape on the air intake. Problem solved.

He drove it to LA and back, no over heating problems.

He went out to start it the next morning and when the thermostat opened up, steam when everywhere. He said fooy and jumped in his little diesel Isuzu and been driving it ever since.

He started to take it apart and realized that there are hoses everywhere. That is when he quit working on it.

He wants me to help him move his house hold goods and his other collectable cars. Cord, Model "A"A and some Model "T's. He wants to give me the car in exchange for three days of loading, hauling 30 miles and unloading with my tow rig and trailer.

If I end up with it, I might pull a few parts and take the rest directly to the scrap yard/pick n pull.

These vans are great! We had an 87 cargo version with no windows. Only issue ever was with the auto transmission. Seemed to shift late and hard when it was winter. Other than that was awesome. Engine is under the seats, you can flip them forward the whole seat. Look behind the seat for a latch.

haha Yeah I figured you were, but sometimes you never know! Those vans are pretty odd, but cool. I'd like to find another cargo one. I used to haul my CBR in mine.

I have an '89 Toyota and an '88 Mitsubishi minivan since new. They've been both very reliable and hauls very well for a 4cyl.. Both were retired now since last year and planning to keep them forever.

I have an '89 Toyota and an '88 Mitsubishi minivan since new. They've been both very reliable and hauls very well for a 4cyl.. Both were retired now since last year and planning to keep them forever.

You may be interested in the Toyota Van Factory Service Manuals I have posted in the Mud Bay - For Sale Section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom