SOLD 1987 Toyota HJ61 Landcruiser w/ Camping buildout, 5 spd manual, cable lockers, etc... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey! Longtime reader, first time caller. I'll take more pics of the interior camping set up built by Topo Rigs in Durango, Colorado a little less than two years ago.

It is with great remorse that I'm listing my 1987 Toyota Landcruiser HJ61 JDM. I've owned this for a few years now and have built on the excellent platform of the 60 series to be a go-anywhere, do anything adventure vehicle. My family grew in that time and the two just aren't a good fit for each other. I would say it's about 85% of the way to a full on monster dream build. Planning on getting a custom swing away rear bumper made to hold the spare and bike rack if it doesn't sell quickly. All the parts are in, just need it to be built. Can provide with the sale. Will update if/when that gets done. There are a few other tweaks that I would make to finish out the build, but, for the most part, they are all superficial.

- Year: 1987
- Kilometres: 323,--- kms (engine runs very well, and has no problem starting. Guessing its got another 350k km left in it)
- Transmission: Manual 5-spd (new clutch >500 miles ago)
- Drive Train: 4x4
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Right-hand drive
- Air Conditioning
- CD Player
- Cable Lockers for Front and Rear Differential
- Manual locking hubs
- Power Steering
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Sunroof (some rust along the rim)
- Tinted Windows
- Yakima Off Grid Cargo Basket w/ full size spare
- Yakima Towers
- PTO (removed, can include with sale)
- Safari Roof
- Custom Fuel 17" Wheels w/ 33" Toyo Open Country Tires. Plenty of life left in the tread. (full size spare is not exact match, but of equal quality and size)
- Full set of original wheels w/ 31" snow tires.
- 2.5" shackle lift
- Bilstein 5150 Front and Rear Shocks, adjustable (> 1000 miles)
- Custom brush guard w/ non functional lights connected to a working 3 way switch (haven't gotten around to updating/upgrading the lights)
- Tundra brake conversion
- Birfield Joint Replacement and Upgrade ("Marfield Joint" (Marlin Crawler.com > Axle Upgrades > Birfield and Marfield Information - https://www.marlincrawler.com/java/whyfail.html))
- 24 volt system with dual battery set-up
- Recently performed rust mitigation/remediation throughout the underbelly. Sprayed rust stopping agent on all rust on the frame (99% surface rust with no pitting), and had a welder reinforce one spot on the frame.
- Underside has been sprayed with rhino-lining throughout
- Weathertech floor mats throughout
- Tow-hitch
- Custom Topo Rigs Camping build out
  1. Collapsable Sleeping Platform that slides away for full use of the back seats when not camping. Sleeps 2 very comfortably.
  2. Pull out kitchen with hand-pump sink and propane grill space.
  3. Custom 5 gallon clean water container.
  4. Two propane tanks w/ lines drawn and ready to be connected to cook bros camp grill.
  5. Insulation throughout the rear compartment
  6. Marine Grade carpet.
  7. 4 additional storage compartments, including pull out drawer.
  8. kitchen grade cutting board on rear hatch
  9. webasto diesel cabin heater w/ controller (makes winter camping a breeze)
  10. Goal Zero w/ solar panel for aux connections
  11. carbon monoxide detector
  12. Custom cut stick to hold the back window open on cold mornings/days (will throw in for free even though it's worth its weight in gold. WON'T SELL SEPARATELY. DON'T EVEN ASK.)
  13. Custom insulated window coverings by Nightfall Overland for every window.

Known Problems:
- Some rust spots on body, but nothing glaring. One small dent on passenger (left) door. Not really noticeable. Some fading of paint. Would be worthwhile to have a body shop sand down minimal body rust and repaint.
- Rear passenger side weatherguard just cracked and popped off.
- Carpet isn't in best shape, but fine.
- Front passenger and driver door upholstery is a little suspect.
- Elevation and outside temperature gauge works when it wants to.
- Water temperature gauge works when it wants to.
- Windshield fluid container is brittle and has cracked. Needs replacing.
- Small amount of wear on driver seat.

The dream would be to instal something like a redarc system and a marine battery for all the aux components, swing-out bumper, expedition fuel tank, body rust mitigation and paint. Might be nice to get some of them fancy vario seats up front too. Replacing carpet and adding additional insulation would be a bonus. Basically this thing is pretty close to "ULTIMATE BUILD" sitch, but it still is plenty built out for many more years of use. The engine is in top shape and gets around 18-20 miles to the gallon on the highway even with all the added weight. Starts up every time, even in the dead of winter.

Generally, I love this vehicle and will be very sad to see it go. It was built as a go fast camper for long or short sessions in the desert or in the mountains. It's taken me and the family to some incredible places, but is starting to get a little cramped with the kid getting bigger. Let me know if you have any questions. Asking $27,500.00 $23,500.00 Willing to entertain reasonable offers including trades for slide in campers.

More pics here.

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8138.jpg

IMG_8142.jpg

Hey! Longtime reader, first time caller. I'll take more pics of the interior camping set up built by Topo Rigs in Durango, Colorado a little less than two years ago.

It is with great remorse that I'm listing my 1987 Toyota Landcruiser HJ61 JDM. I've owned this for a few years now and have built on the excellent platform of the 60 series to be a go-anywhere, do anything adventure vehicle. My family grew in that time and the two just aren't a good fit for each other. I would say it's about 85% of the way to a full on monster dream build. Planning on getting a custom swing away rear bumper made to hold the spare and bike rack if it doesn't sell quickly. All the parts are in, just need it to be built. Can provide with the sale. Will update if/when that gets done. There are a few other tweaks that I would make to finish out the build, but, for the most part, they are all superficial.

- Year: 1987
- Kilometres: 323,--- kms (engine runs very well, and has no problem starting. Guessing its got another 350k km left in it)
- Transmission: Manual 5-spd (new clutch >500 miles ago)
- Drive Train: 4x4
- Fuel Type: Diesel
- Right-hand drive
- Air Conditioning
- CD Player
- Cable Lockers for Front and Rear Differential
- Manual locking hubs
- Power Steering
- Power windows
- Power locks
- Sunroof (some rust along the rim)
- Tinted Windows
- Yakima Off Grid Cargo Basket w/ full size spare
- Yakima Towers
- PTO (removed, can include with sale)
- Safari Roof
- Custom Fuel 17" Wheels w/ 33" Toyo Open Country Tires. Plenty of life left in the tread. (full size spare is not exact match, but of equal quality and size)
- Full set of original wheels w/ 31" snow tires.
- 2.5" shackle lift
- Bilstein 5150 Front and Rear Shocks, adjustable (> 1000 miles)
- Custom brush guard w/ non functional lights connected to a working 3 way switch (haven't gotten around to updating/upgrading the lights)
- Tundra brake conversion
- Birfield Joint Replacement and Upgrade ("Marfield Joint" (Marlin Crawler.com > Axle Upgrades > Birfield and Marfield Information - https://www.marlincrawler.com/java/whyfail.html))
- 24 volt system with dual battery set-up
- Recently performed rust mitigation/remediation throughout the underbelly. Sprayed rust stopping agent on all rust on the frame (99% surface rust with no pitting), and had a welder reinforce one spot on the frame.
- Underside has been sprayed with rhino-lining throughout
- Weathertech floor mats throughout
- Tow-hitch
- Custom Topo Rigs Camping build out
  1. Collapsable Sleeping Platform that slides away for full use of the back seats when not camping. Sleeps 2 very comfortably.
  2. Pull out kitchen with hand-pump sink and propane grill space.
  3. Custom 5 gallon clean water container.
  4. Two propane tanks w/ lines drawn and ready to be connected to cook bros camp grill.
  5. Insulation throughout the rear compartment
  6. Marine Grade carpet.
  7. 4 additional storage compartments, including pull out drawer.
  8. kitchen grade cutting board on rear hatch
  9. webasto diesel cabin heater w/ controller (makes winter camping a breeze)
  10. Goal Zero w/ solar panel for aux connections
  11. carbon monoxide detector
  12. Custom cut stick to hold the back window open on cold mornings/days (will throw in for free even though it's worth its weight in gold. WON'T SELL SEPARATELY. DON'T EVEN ASK.)
  13. Custom insulated window coverings by Nightfall Overland for every window.

Known Problems:
- Some rust spots on body, but nothing glaring. One small dent on passenger (left) door. Not really noticeable. Some fading of paint. Would be worthwhile to have a body shop sand down minimal body rust and repaint.
- Rear passenger side weatherguard just cracked and popped off.
- Carpet isn't in best shape, but fine.
- Front passenger and driver door upholstery is a little suspect.
- Elevation and outside temperature gauge works when it wants to.
- Water temperature gauge works when it wants to.
- Windshield fluid container is brittle and has cracked. Needs replacing.
- Small amount of wear on driver seat.

The dream would be to instal something like a redarc system and a marine battery for all the aux components, swing-out bumper, expedition fuel tank, body rust mitigation and paint. Might be nice to get some of them fancy vario seats up front too. Replacing carpet and adding additional insulation would be a bonus. Basically this thing is pretty close to "ULTIMATE BUILD" sitch, but it still is plenty built out for many more years of use. The engine is in top shape and gets around 18-20 miles to the gallon on the highway even with all the added weight. Starts up every time, even in the dead of winter.

Generally, I love this vehicle and will be very sad to see it go. It was built as a go fast camper for long or short sessions in the desert or in the mountains. It's taken me and the family to some incredible places, but is starting to get a little cramped with the kid getting bigger. Let me know if you have any questions. Asking $23,500.00 Willing to entertain reasonable offers including trades for slide in campers.

More pics here.

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8142.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

Forgot to mention that this does have the suspension/safari driver and passenger seats. Springs seem to be in great shape.

Also has driver and passenger safari/suspension seats. Springs and lockouts work well.

Very disappointed. I didn’t even get to see the custom hatch door prop stick! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom