For Sale 1987 Mercedes Benz 300D project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
MobileMe Gallery

For sale is a complete, rust-free 1987 MB 300D, with a new front end (wheel bearings, steering knuckles, etc.). The vehicle is a nice silvery light blue with the gray MB-Tex interior. VIN on the vehicle is WDBEB33D0HA383779, with roughly 250K on the odometer. I purchased it in 2009 for $6,500 from a local Bosch service center, and it was well worth it. It was my wife's daily driver, until she ran it with no coolant in it (it had a slow radiator leak which became a big leak after a hard freeze). :bang: The motor was toasted.

See: https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/307373-interesting-diesel-project.html

Also, I have in their box, a set of motor mounts, a transmission mount, a new Behr (the best) radiator, and the three radiator hoses.

So, this vehicle is not in running condition due to a cracked head.
The original motor is still in the engine bay, and is about half removed. A replacement motor, on a pallet comes with the vehicle, and may be available for sale separately (more below).

The vehicle has been under a canopy, since it was pulled off the road, but it is a bit musty inside, though well cared-for. It will need a good detail job. The only thing wrong with the vehicle (that I don't have replacement parts for) is the sunroof, which is inoperable, but DOES NOT LEAK. Some minor but expensive part in the sunroof assembly broke and was not worth fixing.

VIN on the replacement motor is: WDBEB33D9HA530021. 157,000 miles on the clock. Purchased at LKQ last year, to replace the original overheated motor. I paid $1,425.12 for the new motor. It has all the peripherals (including the injection pump). When I purchased it, it was bench tested for me and was a smooth, smooth runner. It has been stored, protected from the elements, with all the caps in place to keep it tight. I never had a chance to install it, nor the other parts, and it is time I just part with this vehicle. I was never into this body style, but the car is smooth and relatively powerful and efficient.

This is engine #: 603960, and stamped on the cylinder head is "03 016 2001" meaning that this is a factory original unit, with the factory replacement head and when you call Mercedes Benz, they'll tell you, if your don't know what you're looking at, that the original emission particulate trap oxidizer has been replaced per the recall as well, and a traditional catalytic converter was installed instead. Those trap oxidizers tended to overheat these motors and crack their heads. #16 heads (denoted by the 016 in the head stamp number) are factory replacement units (improved), #14, is factory original (with the head weakness that allowed them to warp and crack), and #21, which is the newest of these motors, not common, and inferior, actually, to the #16, per all reports. Well, this one is good to go and was not overheated. It is on a pallet, ready to be installed.

If you're curious, the recalls were 1993070001 and 1996120001.

Everything goes for $2,000. Just the motor: $1,250.

PM me if interested.

Located in Gainesville, FL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom