1987 FJ60 shakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Got a shaking issue...truck shakes around 55-65 then smooths out. I replaced the U-Joints and balanced the drive shaft. I have a new H55F and rebuilt the transfer case...I had the wheels and tires balanced BFG KM2’s but, I’m thinking they are the problem .

If anyone has any other ideas what it could be or what I may have overlooked I’d appreciate any helpful info.

Thanks in advance!

wheels and tires are most likely culprit if shaking is so well defined to one speed range. Get her up to 65 mph and then push in the clutch and see if shaking still occurs. How many wheel weights were needed on each wheel to achieve balance? Its possible your wheels are out of round and while they may have balanced on a machine they could have thrown a weight which happens often enough...or they could just be bent badly enough to be problematic. Its also possible for tires to have issues even if they are balanced. You could rotate the front tires to the rear and rears to front and see if it does the same thing and if so if it feels any different.

wheels and tires are most likely culprit if shaking is so well defined to one speed range. Get her up to 65 mph and then push in the clutch and see if shaking still occurs. How many wheel weights were needed on each wheel to achieve balance? Its possible your wheels are out of round and while they may have balanced on a machine they could have thrown a weight which happens often enough...or they could just be bent badly enough to be problematic. Its also possible for tires to have issues even if they are balanced. You could rotate the front tires to the rear and rears to front and see if it does the same thing and if so if it feels any different.
Hey I think that’s my next move to hopefully solving this issue...I appreciate your help!

When you installed driveshafts, you ensured yokes were in the same position on both sides, right?

Like this:

driveshaft-jpg.229793

I’ll check but I believe so?

Does the 60 as a whole shake or the steering wheel?

Steering wheel normally will be out of balance tires. Whole truck will be something else.

Seems to be coming from the rear??

Tires/wheels, driveshaft balance/health/proper phasing, first places to look. Rule them out and then we will start scaring you with all kinds of possibilities ;)

Tires/wheels, driveshaft balance/health/proper phasing, first places to look. Rule them out and then we will start scaring you with all kinds of possibilities ;)
Ha...thanks😳

Does the 60 as a whole shake or the steering wheel?

Steering wheel normally will be out of balance tires. Whole truck will be something else.

I had a similar thing on mine. Would shake between 45-65 mph and then smooth out. I swapped wheels back to front and the shaking is now gone (front tries were pretty beat up from a broken tie rod end and screwy tie rod installation and prolly out of balance as a result). Felt it in the steering wheel when it would happen which caused the whole truck to shake. I am getting tires next week so knowing that and with my shaking gone, I never messed with the balancing again on these tires. Just a real world endorsement for tires/wheels being a possibility. HTH

Thanks that’s what I’m thinking as well, but, I probably should change tie rod ends out too...I’ve gone thru it pretty much stem to stern but still need to do those...I may order some this weekend! Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom