Builds 1987 FJ60 Restoration + 5.3 Vortec Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice!

So a small update: I’m 90% done re-wiring the lights and such. Engine turns over but won’t run because I still need to remove VATS from the pcm which I’ll hopefully have a friend do within the week.
Does anyone have a photo of the wiring for the wiper motor? Iirc the loom came from the passenger side but I can’t get it to work. Perhaps my wiper motor is toast? Dunno. Also sorta put together the front end.
0C4CA1BD-67A2-457E-A623-37676E0E963E.jpeg

Looking good!
Did you have any clearance issues with the oil pan and front driveshaft? .

Looking good!
Did you have any clearance issues with the oil pan and front driveshaft? .
You can’t use the truck pan, but it’ll clear with a muscle car pan or even the camaro pan. The transmission pan is the actual obstacle. It needs to be clearanced and even then it’s a rather tight tolerance.

So a small update: I’m 90% done re-wiring the lights and such. Engine turns over but won’t run because I still need to remove VATS from the pcm which I’ll hopefully have a friend do within the week.
Does anyone have a photo of the wiring for the wiper motor? Iirc the loom came from the passenger side but I can’t get it to work. Perhaps my wiper motor is toast? Dunno. Also sorta put together the front end.
View attachment 2111139
Pics

20191019_142308.jpg

20191019_142318.jpg

20191019_142335.jpg

20191019_142340.jpg

You can’t use the truck pan, but it’ll clear with a muscle car pan or even the camaro pan. The transmission pan is the actual obstacle. It needs to be clearanced and even then it’s a rather tight tolerance.
Can you post more pics of engine bay top and below when you get time? Id like to see pics of your oil and transmission pans..

thanks for the updates!

Looking great!

What headers did you go with?

Can you send some pics of the front of motor and the mounts?

I'm setting mine in tomorrow and wanted to get a reference point from you.

How much did you take off the rear driveshaft?

Thanks Joe

Looking good.

as far as tires go...if you keep the factory 15" wheels, most go with 33x10.5x15 tires with the 2" lift.

16" wheels offer a wider variety of tire width/height combos.
Who makes a nice looking wheel for the FJ60? I've been looking...

For wheels? Go Toyota. 15" Steel wheels with/without hub cap clips, 15" Toyota wagon wheels that came stock on 60s, or the 16" overseas wheels. Anything that keeps the wheels tucked under the fenders, as Mr. Toyota intended.
I already have a set of wheels sitting but they’re steel and less than 8” wide haha. Close enough?

This weekend’s update:
Got VATS, catalyst o2, EGR, and evap removed from the PCM. Also finished up the wiring for the lights and horn.
2DA6726F-2E74-4F6D-8016-7D0A7193AEA8.jpeg

also got the radiator hoses done. Top hose is a Gates 22358, the bottom is a Gates 22310 both have been trimmed in the obvious places. Ignore the old radiator, I think I’m gonna get one of those aluminum joints people have been going on about.
Also, here’s an obligatory short clip of the first startup!
- couldn't get the Youtube video to embed, but here's a link for those interested

Just read the whole thread. Great work. Open headers make me happy. I ran my 2F like that fresh after the rebuild and on the way to the muffler shop.

If I missed it I’m sorry, but what paint color is that? Looks silver and then off white and then silver again to me haha.

Nice. The stock radiators do fine, you could just throw some black paint on there.
Make sure you tie the steam port into the upper radiator hose

Nice. The stock radiators do fine, you could just throw some black paint on there.
Make sure you tie the steam port into the upper radiator hose
Yeah I’m between using one of the adapters from eBay or drilling and tapping the water pump and just running it there. Kinda leaning towards the water pump as I don’t like the look of the adapter or the idea of a 2-piece upper radiator hose.

Just read the whole thread. Great work. Open headers make me happy. I ran my 2F like that fresh after the rebuild and on the way to the muffler shop.

If I missed it I’m sorry, but what paint color is that? Looks silver and then off white and then silver again to me haha.
It’s GM Silver Ice Metallic or Switchblade silver (same paint code). There’s a lot of metallic in there but it looks pretty good to me. Once I get the hood back on I’m gonna get out the real camera and take some beauties of it!

Yeah I’m between using one of the adapters from eBay or drilling and tapping the water pump and just running it there. Kinda leaning towards the water pump as I don’t like the look of the adapter or the idea of a 2-piece upper radiator hose.

Tapping the WP is a good idea. Much cleaner. You might also consider deleting the MAF sensor and running an IAT sensor in the EGR port in the intake instead. Makes plumbing an air cleaner much cleaner.

Tapping the WP is a good idea. Much cleaner. You might also consider deleting the MAF sensor and running an IAT sensor in the EGR port in the intake instead. Makes plumbing an air cleaner much cleaner.
Might have to look into that. Next big ticket items are gonna be exhaust material and a stupid hatch window gasket. Absolutely destroyed it when removing the rear glass haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom