1987 FJ60 Landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ouano.com and www.newbreedacademy.com
Picked up a 1987 FJ60 a few weeks back. I decided to order from Specter's Off Road a disk brake to replace the factory rear drum brakes.

Unfortunately, once the kit was installed my mechanic told me that the parking brake is rendered useless :frown:.

Does anyone on this forum know where I should go from here?
S.O.R. is unable to point me to the exact direction. All they said is that I'd need to look into a GM part and will need to modify the part to make it work for my FJ60.

That doesn't help me much at all. For safety reasons I don't want to drive my rig unless I have the parking brake.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

It looks like SOR uses a GM caliper. Sorry to say you paid too much. A lot of folks use a caliper from a Caddy Eldorado (rear) They have an e-brake provision. You may need to do some fabrication on the cables to make it work. Check the tech links here and on Pirate4x4.com

you need to use calipers from a cadillac eldorado. this caliper has provisions for a parking brake. i dont remember what years work but try searching rear brake coversion and there should be lots of info. apparently it is a little hard to get the brake to grab as good as stock but i think with enough sweat you'll be able to get it to work ok. you should also get a larger m.c. from a newer toyota truck and swap the front calipers for 4runner calipers..

well i would like to say welcome, i dont have any advice for you about the e-brake but you have come to the right place to find answers.

Okay I have the perfect modification for you to get the e brake. Get yourself a heavy cinder block and throw it in the back. Whenever you need the brakes to hold the truck when your not around just put the wieght on the brake pedal. Now your good to go. Jokes aside, you should probably go after that mechanic for disabling the e brake when he installed the kit. If he knew before hand that you would loose the ebrake then you have a basis to prove he was negligent.

SOR shouldn't even sell a kit without the hardware to also address the ebrake. They are stupid for not being able to atleast tell you exactly what parts to use. They should care about their customer's safety more.

There are some other options besides a caddy caliper. You could use a mechanical or electric line lock as an ebrake. Or install a pinion or driveshaft brake that many aftermarket suppliers sell, I know a few have ads in Toyota Trails.

For those that don't approve of SOR selling them, MAF and JTO also sell similar kits. If the purchaser doesn't know why or what they are doing to their truck, they probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

For those that don't approve of SOR selling them, MAF and JTO also sell similar kits. If the purchaser doesn't know why or what they are doing to their truck, they probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Agreed, and also agreed with the mechanic being negligent. There must be a way to modify the calipers that you have on there. There is always a way.

You can mod your transfer case to use an old style e brake on the drive line. I think this is a good way to go.

Dynosoar

You can mod your transfer case to use an old style e brake on the drive line. I think this is a good way to go.

Dynosoar

Has this been done? Could you elaborate? Seems like it would take a lot of machine work to get the seal and mounting surfaces correct.

they sell a thing like a line lock or park lock for baja bugs and off road buggies... i dont know if they hold well for a long time (some say they do, some say they dont, ive never used one) check out buggy stuff... it installs inline and hydrolically locks all 4 wheels up with a snazzy lookin button

and most disc conversions for buggies dont have a e brake set up either, so its not all that uncommon

and while your out buyin buggy stuff, get a steering brake. it locks up one tire individually so you can do neat tricks, or as a psuedo locker

I agree the purchaser should know what they are putting on. I just think SOR should follow through with the kit and make it complete since they know everyone needs a ebrake. There are calipers that they could use with a mechanical way to engage the brakes using a cable.

Looking at SOR's website. Here is the transfer case kit to put the ebrake on it for $499.I am guessing they recommend this upgrade to for the ebrake.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat076.tam?xax=15987&anchor=#076-15D-KIT

On some of the 40's the ebrake is on the transfer case on a disc.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. Even the humor from some.
This afternoon I went to Downey Off Road in Santa Fe Springs, CA
www.downeyoff-road.com. I bought a pair of calipers that they carry for a Monte Carlo that will work for my FJ60 rear disk. They even explained to me what I needed to do in the event I needed to make some modifications. When adjusting the e-brake and the spring arm is fully extened they recommened grinding the spring arm just enough to clear the stop.

I have to say that this is very minor adjustment. I hope to have my rig up and running very soon. Then off to the paint shop and upholstery shop.

I'll try to post some pix when everything is done.
Thank you once again for your advice.

I agree the purchaser should know what they are putting on. I just think SOR should follow through with the kit and make it complete since they know everyone needs a ebrake. There are calipers that they could use with a mechanical way to engage the brakes using a cable.

Looking at SOR's website. Here is the transfer case kit to put the ebrake on it for $499.I am guessing they recommend this upgrade to for the ebrake.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat076.tam?xax=15987&anchor=#076-15D-KIT

On some of the 40's the ebrake is on the transfer case on a disc.

Yeah, nice kit for 500 bucks, I like this part :

Does NOT come with backing plate assembly, parking brake cable, parking brake shoes, and related parts, if you do not already have these items they will need to be ordered separately

That kit is for 40 series with a split case (post 8/80) for a 60 owner to use it they would need to change e brake cable workings. Not hard but 500? no thanks. FYI all cruisers before 8/80 used a t/case parking brake but they were all drum, not a disc.

not everyone needs or wants an ebrake.

Pacific Swell: Good to hear you found a solution, and a local one... Downey's been around quite a while and seem to know their stuff. (no personal experience though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom