1987 FJ60 in California - Catalytic converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

New to this forum, having just discovered. Seems like a great resource.

Anyway, I live in California, and I have a 1987 FJ60 that I've had since 2013. Never had a problem passing the smog test until this year, this year I had to take it to a new place since my usual guy is out of town for the summer. Anyway, this place tells me that the car completely passes on all emissions, but the problem is that the Catalytic converter doesn't have the CA stamp on it. To pass he tells me that either:
1.) I need documentation to show that the cat was installed prior to 2009 when they started the stamp program
2.) Get a new cat
3.) Appeal to some higher state authority

I have the full service history for the car from the previous owner (who was the only owner). No sign of any cat being fitted at any point in time. I checked my Haynes manual for the car, and according to it, the FJ60 should have always had a cat fitted (e.g., off the factor floor).

So I guess my question is: is there any chance the cat on the FJ60 is the original one, and that's why there's no documentation for this? Would the original cat pass the current California emissions test, or is there no chance of this, hence why there would have been a new cat fitted at some point?

Or perhaps my usual guy has just let this slide, and hasn't being following the rules to the letter.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

The original Toyota catalytic converter is flat-ish & oblong and it has a thermosensor port on the top and some sort of small Toyota stamp on it or something (I think- but it doesn't say Toyota). It doesn't have any California stamp on it.

My advice: take your cruiser to another shop. Most smog tech guys just make sure there's a CAT installed and the visual inspection stops there.

If you can't take it to another smog shop, and you're not running the original CAT, you can buy a CA blessed CAT that dots all the I s and crosses all the CARB tees

this is the original cat taken from my 87 fj60.
I just had mine changed to pass smog in CA
IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

Here is a photo of mine (let's hope that's what I've taken a photo of anyway ;) ). I can't really get a good photo due to the protective cover. Does this look original?

Thank you

IMG_1365.JPG

Not stock and it looks like a generic (Universal) replacement. Check this out,Hottexhaust

You can also visit any muffler place and get a quote for the Cat. converter. Make sure they also install the thermal sensor.

I have a fairly new magnaflow Cat. No clue if it has a stamp or not.

@OSS is right... Find another smog shop.

Also there is a great LC shop not far from you called K&H. I think it's in Canoga Park. Back in the day (when I lived in LA and didn't do all of my own wrench turning) I used to take my LC to them. It's under new ownership but I hear good things. It's my understanding that they stIll get vehicles thru CA Smog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom