1987 FJ60 hood latch won't release. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The hood latch on my FJ60 won't release by pulling the cable. Does any one know how I can either bypass this or adjust the cable from in the cab?

If your cable is broken, you can remove the front grill and access the latch. Just a few screws. Be careful you don't break the brittle plastic latches of the grill.

Be more specific. Is the interior plastic handle not moving outwards, or is the underwood release mechanism simply not releasing? Totally different fixes.

I have the same issue. What has worked for me to get it open is pulling up on the hood while someone pulls the handle; almost as if i was prying the hood open. Sometimes i push the hood down to completely relatch between pulls.

For me, the handle pulls out and even makes a small click at the hood, but it doesn't release. I've tried pushing down on the hood while someone pulls the handle, but never releases. Repeated handle pulls and pulling the hood up has eventually worked, but still looking for a permanent fix. (FYI I've greased the mechanism while open, and handle pops the latch perfect when I close the latch with a screw driver while the hood is up)

I have the same issue. What has worked for me to get it open is pulling up on the hood while someone pulls the handle; almost as if i was prying the hood open. Sometimes i push the hood down to completely relatch between pulls.

For me, the handle pulls out and even makes a small click at the hood, but it doesn't release. I've tried pushing down on the hood while someone pulls the handle, but never releases. Repeated handle pulls and pulling the hood up has eventually worked, but still looking for a permanent fix. (FYI I've greased the mechanism while open, and handle pops the latch perfect when I close the latch with a screw driver while the hood is up)

hood cable is cheap and takes less than 15 min to install. do it before you have a need to get in the hood quickly and regret it.

hood cable is cheap and takes less than 15 min to install. do it before you have a need to get in the hood quickly and regret it.

Good to know. Do you have the steps to changing the cable? Any idea on a Toyota part#?

Thanks,
Zack

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/toyota~cable~assy~hood~lock~control~53630-90A01.html

Looks like 29.32 plus shipping from here. Try CruiserDan as well.

Remove 2 screws that hold the pull handle to dash. Open hood and undo the cable from latch .. Similar to a bicycle brake set up. Pull thru firewall and install new. A simple replacement. Also get some WD-40, Kroil, PB Blaster etc.. on that latch to loosen it up.. Then properly adjust the hood bumper bolts where it will help push up on hood. Mike at CruiserCorps has the bumper bolts for 10 bucks if you need them.

GL

J

Don't overlook the bumpstops. Mine were 1/4" too low and I had this exact problem. Raising them put the right amount of counter pressure on the hood to let the latch pop. I assumed it was the cable, but the solution was far easier.

If your cable is broken, you can remove the front grill and access the latch. Just a few screws. Be careful you don't break the brittle plastic latches of the grill.
How does that work? the grill is bolted to the hood latch. I just replaced my hood cable and am reluctant to close the hood without being able to open it again if my replacement went wrong. I had to unbolt the latch to hook the cable up and as an added bonus i snapped one of the side bolts on the latch when i was tightening it back.

How does that work? the grill is bolted to the hood latch. I just replaced my hood cable and am reluctant to close the hood without being able to open it again if my replacement went wrong. I had to unbolt the latch to hook the cable up and as an added bonus i snapped one of the side bolts on the latch when i was tightening it back.
Yeah I don't think it's that easy. There are some other threads on this issue where the hood won't open. Not easy to get to unless you want to ruin the grille and take it out in pieces. Some have had luck coming up from below with something to push on the latch, but it's difficult as I understand.

When I was setting up my latch and hood adjustments, I did it with the grille removed. Then when it's all working perfectly, then put the grille back.

I don't remember what I did ; it was 11 years ago :oops:

I’ve done in before, I don’t remember the exact steps, but it really was not that difficult. Get a screw driver & start poking around that latch…it will pop the hood up. Not really a 2nd choice. Get a screw driver & start poking.

Yeah I don't think it's that easy. There are some other threads on this issue where the hood won't open. Not easy to get to unless you want to ruin the grille and take it out in pieces. Some have had luck coming up from below with something to push on the latch, but it's difficult as I understand.

When I was setting up my latch and hood adjustments, I did it with the grille removed. Then when it's all working perfectly, then put the grille back.
it is an other odd situation for sure. my new cable is working so I need to drill out the broken screw and get a new one in asap and all should be well. thanks for the advice!

Had my grill and bezels off this weekend and had the vertical support bolts only hand tight, went to close hood when wouldn’t latch, reverse my situation. Looked close and the vertical support was being pushed down those 3 M6 bolts shift any no go. How it may apply is you can push up on the vertical piece from under the bumper, you can push down on the hood but it’s at the stops, the support loose at all is what would give.

IMG_0983.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom