For Sale 1987 FJ60 for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1987 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60
San Diego, CA
$13,500
858-876-4454

Must sell due to long commute

4.2L, 4x4
302K miles
4-Speed manual
Daily Driver for the past several years
Newly rebuilt engine (<10k miles)
Newly rebuilt carburetor (<1k miles)
New BF Goodrich All-Terrains 33x12.5x15 (<5K miles)
New Alternator (<3K miles)
New Catalytic Converter (<1K miles)
Passed California Smog in March 2012
Power Steering
Very little rust along side of roof (see pic)
3” lift
Bilstein Shocks
Great condition outside and inside
Some wear on driver seat and cargo carpeting (see pic).
AM / FM / CD
BlueTooth / Auxiliary Input / USB / iPod

Follow link for pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/110933579996821591947/albums/5749634485969527649?authkey=CNzLlf_79J6bxgE

Nice first post there slim!!!! Does it come with a gold brick???

MazFJ60-People are gonna take a piss if you are serious about the price. The rig should be pristine for the price you are asking, and its not.

To me, this sounds like one of those wife wants the car gone, husband says he'll sell it and then asks an exorbitant price knowing it wont sell.

Nick - Although there is a little bit of truth to your prediction of why the truck is on the market, I am pretty serious about selling it. The price is not firm and I am trying to figure out how much the truck is worth. How much do you estimate based on pics and description?

I have many questions but regardless I'll give you a reason for each of the things you listed as to why I think its work 5k at the most. In all cases, even with the best possible work and parts would make the vehicle worth 7k at best.

4.2L, 4x4- we all know this is the norm so nothing special. Now if it were a diesel then this would bump up the price.

302K miles- this is a high mileage, even if the engine was rebuilt because of all the other things that also have over 300k miles on them.

4-Speed manual- stock. Should be a 5 speed for the price you are asking.

Daily Driver for the past several years- this is a lot of highway?

Newly rebuilt engine (<10k miles)- who did the rebuild? Why was it rebuilt? Do you have receipts for the rebuild? Either a dealership or George at Valley Hybrids would be the best.

Newly rebuilt carburetor (<1k miles)- All the same questions for the motor apply here.

New BF Goodrich All-Terrains 33x12.5x15 (<5K miles)-With these tires have you regeared? If not the vehicle would be less drivable off-road because the motor won't be high enough RPM for stead low-speed driving.

New Alternator (<3K miles) Stock or Mean Green? This is a wear and tear item so part of normal maintenance.

New Catalytic Converter (<1K miles)- this is not particularly special but should be considered wear and tear.

Passed California Smog in March 2012- not really a big deal

Power Steering- again, stock option on 60s.

Very little rust along side of roof (see pic)- I'd describe this as extensive rust after looking the bubbling along the edge. If you want to get closer to your asking price it should be fixed.

3” lift-what lift? People regard OME to be one of the better.

Bilstein Shocks- which ones? Valving?

Great condition outside and inside- Your drivers seat is trashed as is the rear carpet so no its not great. Its fair at best.

Some wear on driver seat and cargo carpeting (see pic).- see above.
AM / FM / CD- pretty common

BlueTooth / Auxiliary Input / USB / iPod also common.

For a comparison, I bought mine a few years ago for 3k. It came with a complete but totaled 86 FJ60 for parts, has in total about the same amount of rust as yours, had a V-8 conversion with 350 TBI SBC, four core radiator, similar tires and wheels, stock suspension in good shape, an ARB bumper, a non-torn carpet, and a good drivers seat.

Now, please take my opinions with a grain of salt as they are only my opinions (which have been largely formed by being a member of 'mud for a few years). It would be great if other people weighed in too.

Wow! I didn't realize I was THAT off. I might have to rethink whether I can afford to sell this and get something that is reliable but more commute friendly.
Thanks for the heads-up.
- Maz

Wow! I didn't realize I was THAT off. I might have to rethink whether I can afford to sell this and get something that is reliable but more commute friendly.
Thanks for the heads-up.
- Maz

I wouldn't pull your vehicle from the market just yet. I'd let more people weigh in. Plus, if I were you I'd start a thread in the 60 series forum to evaluate if you are getting (a) the best gas mileage you can as you use this a commuter car and (b) what the realistic price would be if you do decide to sell it. The classified section is not really the appropriate place to discuss price when you make up your mind on the asking price. If you had an FJ40 and not a 60, then your asking price could be a more reasonable, but thats apples to oranges.

Big Cruiser Guy,

I mainly looked around on the web for how much they were advertised for. I saw ones that needed mechanical work going for 1,000 - 3,000. Ones that ran but looked VERY rough were going for $5,000 - $7,000. Ones that looked good and were in good mechanical condition were being advertised from $10,000 to as high as $18,000. I thought mine would be on the lower end of that range with a little extra for the, essentially, brand new tires. I thought I might be able to get offers in the 10 to 11 range.

I don't think you are as far off as others do!!! I bought mine in Chicago for $3000 & it needed completely serviced, engine gaskets, carb, new wheels, tires, OME 3" deluxe, interior replaced, & some bodywork!!! $10-12k later I have a very reliable & dependable truck to drive!!!

I wouldn't even consider selling it for $3-5000!!!

MazFJ60 said:
Thanks for the heads-up.
- Maz

You should start by investigating the answers to these questions. If you really want something more commute friendly, you should just buy a cheap commuter (read: Honda civic hatchback).

Just my $0.02:

In June 2010, I bought a rust free SoCal 84 FJ60 with 264k miles (with a rebuilt motor 20k) for $1870 in rough running condition. There was an issue with the carb, had it rebuilt by Mark's Off Road, did a complete base line tune-up for reliability, adjusted the timing, replaced some bushings then decided I wanted to play with something else instead. Sold it in March 2011 for $3000 with 265k miles, in good running condition to a buyer from San Diego.

Don't forget: just because you see it on C-list doesn't necessarily means that they get their asking price. Selling a 4 cyl gas saver is much easier and has wider market appeal than selling a 12mpg 4x4 - much smaller market segment.

If it were my truck and my wife asked me to sell it: $6,000 - $7000

If it were my truck and I wanted to fund other projects: $4,000 - $5,000

Whenever I shop, I always try to stick to the motto: just because you overpaid, doesn't mean I will.

GLWS

If the body was pristine with zero rust, and I mean zero, I would oput a price on that truck of 4500-5500. it could be slightly higher if the engine rebuild was top rate ( complete, professional, ubgraded pistons etc.)

You should start by investigating the answers to these questions. If you really want something more commute friendly, you should just buy a cheap commuter (read: Honda civic hatchback).

This is exactly what I was thinking. The only requirement is 4 doors (kids in car seats)

Thank you all for the feedback. I, obviously, need to do a little more work to figure out how much the truck is worth. I still think that selling it and buying a small commuter makes more sense in the long run. Do you think it would be worth fixing the seat, cargo carpeting, and rust for the sale? Would I get my money back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom